• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rest In Peace, Ernie Harwell.

KindaChang

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Tonight baseball lost one its great voices and men of all time. Ernie Harwell, long time radio and tv broadcaster for the Detroit Tigers passed away in his home in Novi, Michigan after a year long battle with cancer.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another voice of baseball past has passed. So sad, I feel like with each one I am losing an old friend. The days of radio broadcasts on AM radio back in the 60s is how I learned about baseball. Kids today will never know what it was like. They will say the internet and cable TV are better but there was something to listening to the ball game on the radio that can't be captured on TV or the internet. It had its own aura. I guess when Vin Sculley goes it really will be the end of an age.

KindaChang

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fox Sports Detroit is airing a tribute piece to Ernie Harwell tomorrow at 4pm, 6:30pm and 10pm (4pm subject to change with Tigers-Twins playing beforehand).

kenyg54

Only sane person out here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Good post, Chang. Being my age, even though I didn't get into Detroit area until late 70's, Ernie struck a place in my soul. I actually met him at an autograph session for one of his books way back. What a great guy. Wish I could have made it to Comerica today.

KindaChang

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was born late for having a lifetime of Ernie and the Tigers. In fact, I will only turn 25 this month. But even then in the little time I had to listen to him call games and considering the games he had to call as opposed to a magical year like '84, I learned to love the Tigers mostly because of Ernie.