• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Replay - Ump Body Cams

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife just suggested this as we were watching the M's and I, as MUCH more of a baseball fan than she, had legit never thought of this, so maybe few others have either:

All of the umps should have hat/body cams feeding into the replay system. In a lot of cases they are definitely in a better spot than the stadium cams, so why not have that view?

California Creme Puffs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife just suggested this as we were watching the M's and I, as MUCH more of a baseball fan than she, had legit never thought of this, so maybe few others have either:

All of the umps should have hat/body cams feeding into the replay system. In a lot of cases they are definitely in a better spot than the stadium cams, so why not have that view?
Jesus fucking Christ

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been wondering why this isn’t a thing for years now.

I have come up with the theory that the Umpire union has put a stop to it at every step. No way do they want that level of accountability.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been wondering why this isn’t a thing for years now.

I have come up with the theory that the Umpire union has put a stop to it at every step. No way do they want that level of accountability.
Yeah, I had that thought... pretty weak on their part... its not reasonable to expect them to get everything right, so they should just embrace the help they might provide. It would also prove them right where the crowd thinks they aren't in many cases.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still will not get them right and the fans will still argue over every call.

Let me ask you this: Was the Fail Mary caught by Golden Tate? What does a Packers fan say to this question? Would the ref wearing a body camera made a difference?

I know it is a different sport, but the same concept. If you put a Seahawks fan and a Packers fan together they would both argue this call with no chance of changing each others mind.

Now as far as baseball, when you have umps like Joe West who after blowing a call says "I trust my eyes more than any camera." I can't remember if this play had replay or not , but Foul Ball:

R.56ab843066a3a9a1657c155082338202
I can admit that the Ump blow this call.

Lastly I will say Umps are part of the game and human so expect them to miss calls. Teams just need to be able to put a bad call behind them and continue to play.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think that in the instances where the body cam has the best angle, the umps would get most of those right so it wouldn't matter.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umps are typically VERY good at their jobs. Even Joe West, Angel Hernandez, CB Buckner, etc are better than the best college umps, or the best minor league umps. Ok…. Maybe not Angel Hernandez. So I would guess that with an unbiased eye, body cams would show that they are actually very good at their jobs. Anecdotally, though, they would be crucified more than they are now, though because of the rare times they absolutely blow a call.

Comparing baseball umps to football or basketball refs is not fair. Football and basketball have subjectiveness actually written into the rules. Baseball is essentially completely objective (with some exceptions like interference, infield fly, in/out of the base path…). Even the strike zone, by the rule book, is strictly defined. It has just been accepted by some ludicrous tradition that each ump is allowed to have his own zone.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still will not get them right and the fans will still argue over every call.

Let me ask you this: Was the Fail Mary caught by Golden Tate? What does a Packers fan say to this question? Would the ref wearing a body camera made a difference?

I know it is a different sport, but the same concept. If you put a Seahawks fan and a Packers fan together they would both argue this call with no chance of changing each others mind.

Now as far as baseball, when you have umps like Joe West who after blowing a call says "I trust my eyes more than any camera." I can't remember if this play had replay or not , but Foul Ball:

R.56ab843066a3a9a1657c155082338202
I can admit that the Ump blow this call.

Lastly I will say Umps are part of the game and human so expect them to miss calls. Teams just need to be able to put a bad call behind them and continue to play.
Your argument seems to be against replay itself, not getting additional angles that are definitely available. I understand that argument, but I disagree. There is no reason to just accept bad, game altering calls that are correctable, IMO.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umps are typically VERY good at their jobs. Even Joe West, Angel Hernandez, CB Buckner, etc are better than the best college umps, or the best minor league umps. Ok…. Maybe not Angel Hernandez. So I would guess that with an unbiased eye, body cams would show that they are actually very good at their jobs. uld be crucified more than they are now, though because of the rare times they absolutely blow a call.

Comparing baseball umps to football or basketball refs is not fair. Football and basketball have subjectiveness actually written into the rules. Baseball is essentially completely objective (with some exceptions like interference, infield fly, in/out of the base path…). Even the strike zone, by the rule book, is strictly defined. It has just been accepted by some ludicrous tradition that each ump is allowed to have his own zone.
I'm not sure why they would be crucified more than they are now.... their obvious fuckups would be corrected or they would be proven right. I'd be good with those angles only being broadcast in review situations.... but MLB would probably have them always shown for the added viewer intrigue, I guess.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why they would be crucified more than they are now.... their obvious fuckups would be corrected or they would be proven right. I'd be good with those angles only being broadcast in review situations.... but MLB would probably have them always shown for the added viewer intrigue, I guess.
The positive anecdotal plays (from an umpire POV) would show a blown call from their perspective, which would appear that the ump made the right call (which a different angle showed differently).

The negative anecdotal play (from an umpir POV) would be where he saw play, but just called it wrong. Angel Hernandez would be destroyed in this scenario.