• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Remember when the wild cards ruled?

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It started with the Steelers in 06, when they knocked off the Colts. That same offseason, Carolina got to the NFCCG as a wild card. I remember seeing that Steelers team at times in 05 and they looked like a super bowl team to me. Polamalu was especially making explosive plays. The Steelers beat the Broncos in the AFCCG to get to the SB. Broncos couldn't get out of the wild card round the prior two years. The Panthers beat the Bears, a team who benefitted from a terrible division that year and already held Carolina to 3 points.

Then, while no wild card team won in 06, The Colts and Patriots were 3 and 4 seeds and knocked off the Ravens and Chargers who were the top seeds coming from nowhere that year. Experience mattered a lot. Manning and Brady had more of that.

Next, it was the Giants, as a wild card who went all the way. They knocked off rival Dallas, the top seed who swept them in the regular season and then went into Green Bay to steal the NFC. We know what happened next.

While no wild cards went to the SB, two played in the 09 title games. The Eagles knocked off the defending SB champs Giants before losing to 4th seeded Cardinals, who shocked the 2 seeded Panthers. The Ravens knocked off the top-seeded and highly overrated Titans before losing a third straight to the Steelers for the AFC. This was with a rookie QB and new HC btw.

2009 was more calmed down from previous years. Both top seeds went to the SB. But the Jets, as a wild card, knocked off the Chargers before losing to the Colts in the AFCCG.

Another wild card team going all the way. The Packers knocked off Atlanta, who had the top seed, before taking out the division rival and winner Chicago to get to the SB and defeat the Steelers. Rex Ryan's Jets, for the second straight postseason, wild-carded their way to another AFCCG. en route to losing to the Steelers, they had beaten the other two AFC cream of the crops Colts and Patriots.

The Giants were not a wild card but won as a 4 seed knocking off the 15-1 Packers and 13-3 49ers en route to their second SB defeat of the Patriots.

The Ravens did the same thing the next year as the same seed. They knocked off Denver and Peyton Manning before destroying NE and Brady in the AFCCG before winning their second SB, but first under this coaching regime.

SF was a team pretty lauded for dominating away from home. Their playing in Seattle for the NFCCG was expected because SF was the third-best team record-wise, but ultimately the second-best team in the NFC.

That was the last time a wild card played in the title game. There was just something about that time. What will it take to get that back? Since then it's been all division winners and the 1 seed has played in all but one title game. The 1 seed has played in all but 1 SB. The 1 seed has won their conference all but three times.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TL;DR.... but

tenor.gif

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly, when KC gets a bye week, the wild card team always has a chance.

A lot of the better wild card teams probably had serious injury issues throughout the season.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Polamalu had great hair

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4FA2E378-F8D8-4B5E-B3B5-6DD85A5B78EE.jpeg

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
157792_frabz-I-think-the-answer-is-Potato-89f562.jpg

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It started with the Steelers in 06, when they knocked off the Colts. That same offseason, Carolina got to the NFCCG as a wild card. I remember seeing that Steelers team at times in 05 and they looked like a super bowl team to me. Polamalu was especially making explosive plays. The Steelers beat the Broncos in the AFCCG to get to the SB. Broncos couldn't get out of the wild card round the prior two years. The Panthers beat the Bears, a team who benefitted from a terrible division that year and already held Carolina to 3 points.

Then, while no wild card team won in 06, The Colts and Patriots were 3 and 4 seeds and knocked off the Ravens and Chargers who were the top seeds coming from nowhere that year. Experience mattered a lot. Manning and Brady had more of that.

Next, it was the Giants, as a wild card who went all the way. They knocked off rival Dallas, the top seed who swept them in the regular season and then went into Green Bay to steal the NFC. We know what happened next.

While no wild cards went to the SB, two played in the 09 title games. The Eagles knocked off the defending SB champs Giants before losing to 4th seeded Cardinals, who shocked the 2 seeded Panthers. The Ravens knocked off the top-seeded and highly overrated Titans before losing a third straight to the Steelers for the AFC. This was with a rookie QB and new HC btw.

2009 was more calmed down from previous years. Both top seeds went to the SB. But the Jets, as a wild card, knocked off the Chargers before losing to the Colts in the AFCCG.

Another wild card team going all the way. The Packers knocked off Atlanta, who had the top seed, before taking out the division rival and winner Chicago to get to the SB and defeat the Steelers. Rex Ryan's Jets, for the second straight postseason, wild-carded their way to another AFCCG. en route to losing to the Steelers, they had beaten the other two AFC cream of the crops Colts and Patriots.

The Giants were not a wild card but won as a 4 seed knocking off the 15-1 Packers and 13-3 49ers en route to their second SB defeat of the Patriots.

The Ravens did the same thing the next year as the same seed. They knocked off Denver and Peyton Manning before destroying NE and Brady in the AFCCG before winning their second SB, but first under this coaching regime.

SF was a team pretty lauded for dominating away from home. Their playing in Seattle for the NFCCG was expected because SF was the third-best team record-wise, but ultimately the second-best team in the NFC.

That was the last time a wild card played in the title game. There was just something about that time. What will it take to get that back? Since then it's been all division winners and the 1 seed has played in all but one title game. The 1 seed has played in all but 1 SB. The 1 seed has won their conference all but three times.

Translation: I don't understand randomness and variance.

Outcomes of sporting events are determined a lot by luck. You are looking at results from the past and thinking that there was a trend or some logical reasons behind them when in actuality the results were closer to being random than predictable. So no, there is no way to know when we will again see wild card teams playing often in the conference title games. No, there was nothing special about the time period you are talking about except that it was statistical variance being statistical variance.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Outcomes of sporting events are determined a lot by luck. You are looking at results from the past and thinking that there was a trend or some logical reasons behind them when in actuality the results were closer to being random than predictable. So no, there is no way to know when we will again see wild card teams playing often in the conference title games. No, there was nothing special about the time period you are talking about except that it was statistical variance being statistical variance.
i appreciate your work.

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Titans vs Texans AFCCG, here we come!

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Vikings-Titans Super Bowl. Let's make it happen! Get Dana White and Oscar De La Hoya on the phone to set this up.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said the same thing. Pay no attention to the Ravens or Broncos or Titans, etc. I think the Raiders in 80 or so were the first wild card team to win a Super Bowl when they made Dick Vermeil and his Eagles cry.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That particular run did. I am aware of the Ravens first SB. I think I even bought up the road thing with the Titans. But there was a five year wait after that.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2005-2013 was an era of number one upsets...variance or not. Something changed that made wild cards less confident or bye teams more prepared. I think it's at a point where I see number one upsets by a wild card again happening. NE isn't at the top now, and NFC East teams outside Philadelphia know how to choke at the top. Dallas has done it twice now.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Possible. It will be the Texans that go though. In fact, if Houston gets out of KC, they will beat Baltimore. They're not a wild card though.
I said the same thing. Pay no attention to the Ravens or Broncos or Titans, etc. I think the Raiders in 80 or so were the first wild card team to win a Super Bowl when they made Dick Vermeil and his Eagles cry.

Read the response. I'm talking about 05-13. It's happened before, but the Eagles and Pats had the conferences locked down in the early 00s. Raiders were tough as well when they were good, as was Pittsburgh(who when had a good defense didn't collapse as they do nowadays). When it was Indy's turn at the top, it wasn't pretty.

I think I will bring up rematches next and compare them to now.