1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reloading

Discussion in 'Guns & Shooting' started by Tomhusker, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Tomhusker

Tomhusker The Original Husker+ Fan

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 2

2 weeks ago my brother in law passed away after several years of battling cancer. We didn't really communicate much, but we had a lot of similar interests, so when we did it was long conversations
    To say Larry was a gun enthusiast would be a gross understatement. He owned many guns, which he left to his children.
    He also left two of his boys his reloading inventory. They called me yesterday and said that they wanted to give it all to me, because it would never be used if they kept it. I feel honored .
    Besides being a gun enthusiast, Larry believed in buying in bulk. So now I have enough supplies to make thousands of rounds of ammunition. 45 long colt, 5.56, 44 magnum, 30-06, bullets, brass, primers, powder. The works. Not to mention all of his tools and hardware required to make them.
    I've never done reloading before, but I'm gonna be spending some time on YouTube watching how to videos.
    Anybody here into reloading? Any advice for a n00b?

• Like Like x 3
  2. ThereIsNoPlace

ThereIsNoPlace LikeNebraska

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Sorry about your brother. I know nothing of reloading, just wanted to offer condolences.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Copejunkie

Copejunkie Pain is weakness leaving the body

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Yes I like to reload when I get the time which is not very often anymore with the age of my kids right now. Anyway the best advice I can give you is make sure you have the correct reloading manual for the type of bullets that you are loading. If it's a hornady bullet use a hornady manual. Dont substitute a different brands manual. Different manufacturers bullets will have slightly different pressures, you want to be safe, even though the bullets are very similar. A Sierra will differ from a nosler, which will differ from a barnes, which will differ from a hornady and on and on. Also follow their load recipes, the bullet manufacturers have done countless tests on their products to ensure that their loads are safe for you and your rifles.
    Have fun with it. Once you get the hang of it you can start tailoring a load for a specific gun. Some rifles like certain bullets and powder combinations more than others. What shoots really well in yours might not in your buddies even though they are the "same gun".

• Like Like x 2
  4. Copejunkie

Copejunkie Pain is weakness leaving the body

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Also Condolences to you for the loss of your brother @Tomhusker

• Like Like x 1
  5. DHoey

DHoey Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 2,022

Sorry for your loss.

I don't reload, but I do have a chit ton of lead that I want to melt into bullets and/or fishing weights. Did he happen to leave you a lead melting pot or molds?

6. PEOPLESCHICKEN

PEOPLESCHICKEN Winged Wheel Fought the Law...and the Law Won

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1

I have never reloaded myself, but know a few people that do it. It's an art form. My advice? Buy quality raw materials, but it sounds like you have an ample supply of that already. I would try to connect with someone in your area who is an experienced reloader and get some hands on tips.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Peter Gozintite

Peter Gozintite Asshole

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 575

I have done a bunch, but it was always with my neighbor directing me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tomhusker

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 2

I'll have to look.

9. Tomhusker

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 2

I'll probably have a long YouTube session to get me familiar with everything .

10. Mangler

Mangler Dis-member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 900

I have been reloading for almost 50 years. let me know if you have questions.

11. Tomhusker

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 2

Great to know. Thanks!

12. Schmoopy1000

Schmoopy1000 When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 5,483

does the brass wear out(warp or what not)

13. Mangler

Mangler Dis-member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 900

it will eventually crack; usually at the neck or the base of the case due to repeated expansion during firing and compressing it back to size during reloading. I usually discard all the cases in that batch when this happens and start with new cases. You can reuse the brass cases multiple times depending on how powerful the reloads are and the quality of the brass used.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. packfancjh

packfancjh Active Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

My main piece of advise is pay attention. Try to stay as sober as possible as an over powdered round can do major damage to the gun and yourself. I use a powder drop that is pretty accurate but I still double check the powder weight after every ten rounds filled. If you even remotely question if a piece of brass can be loaded, throw it out. It's cheaper to replace one bad casing than a body part if failure occurred

15. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

My dad was a big time Trap shooter and I spent hours helping him reload his own shot gun shells. While similar it isn't the same as loading pistol calibers. I am of little use in this regard.