• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Refs Give Green Bay The Game

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will along with the 5 titles. Still a long way for you to go....LOL.

Yeah and I think there's some cool software that can transfer VHS to DVD too.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will along with the 5 titles. Still a long way for you to go....LOL.

Those titles getting the senior citizen discount yet?
I heard they're available on VHS.
Were you even born when they won?

:suds: To next year bud.

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Can't really rest the ball on the turf like that while stretching for the endzone and then roll over while it is hanging rather loose and then grab it again. Could have gone either way possibly. Rodgers got on track in the 2nd half and was more mobile. A close game.
Show me a picture of where it hit the ground? I have not seen one shot showing that. Just saw the ball pop up. If his hand was under it, then not an incomplete pass even if you don't think sticking the ball out was a football move.

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Those titles getting the senior citizen discount yet?
I heard they're available on VHS.
Were you even born when they won?

:suds: To next year bud.
Have been alive to see 10 titles by my favorite pro teams and it has been awesome. You win some and you lose some. Its all good. This thread was about the play but I got off track. LOL. :suds:

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Show me a picture of where it hit the ground? I have not seen one shot showing that. Just saw the ball pop up. If his hand was under it, then not an incomplete pass even if you don't think sticking the ball out was a football move.

A ball wont bounce up like that if his hands were under it. So yes i seen it hit the ground. Know the rule!! Once he goes up and comes down to the ground, stretching, diving, rolling over, taking a shit, it doesnt matter, he must keep control the whole way thru. He didnt. Ball clearly bounced off ground when he stretched. Ive seen it happen to calvin johnson TWICE! And his vs the bears was closer to a catch than this one. He went to celebrate when his hit the ground.

But keep crying. Lions fans love it. Karma bitch! See what happened to the lions had NEVER happened in all those yrs of the NFL but ive seen this call made plenty of times. So stop crying. YOUR DEFENSE STILL COULDVE STOPPED EM. thats what us lion fans were told last week by cowboy fans.

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
A ball wont bounce up like that if his hands were under it. So yes i seen it hit the ground. Know the rule!! Once he goes up and comes down to the ground, stretching, diving, rolling over, taking a shit, it doesnt matter, he must keep control the whole way thru. He didnt. Ball clearly bounced off ground when he stretched. Ive seen it happen to calvin johnson TWICE! And his vs the bears was closer to a catch than this one. He went to celebrate when his hit the ground.

But keep crying. Lions fans love it. Karma bitch! See what happened to the lions had NEVER happened in all those yrs of the NFL but ive seen this call made plenty of times. So stop crying. YOUR DEFENSE STILL COULDVE STOPPED EM. thats what us lion fans were told last week by cowboy fans.
Not crying....I gave credit to the Packers and said they were the better team today. I was making an observation on the play. Also, if your hand is under a ball and you slam to the ground hand first, there is a good chance the ball bounces from the impact even if your hand was under it. Like I said, still waiting on the shot that shows the ball hitting the ground. It was ruled a completion on the field.

Also, refs pick up flags all the time after discussing. Again, see my earlier post saying that Rogers probably still goes down the field and wins it. Would have been an even more epic game. We are debating the play in this thread.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dez2.0.gif

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andresrenee;6186283[B said:
]Show me a picture of where it hit the ground? I have not seen one shot showing that[/B]. Just saw the ball pop up. If his hand was under it, then not an incomplete pass even if you don't think sticking the ball out was a football move.

Perhaps you check the Cowboys board they have that shot. I'll save you the trouble.

BriskHandsomeGrasshopper1.gif

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Thanks saw that and dont see a clear shot of green popping the ball off the ground as it appears there is black glove under the ball. Does not matter. Game is ove

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By definition it's not a catch but what gets me is he clearly had possession with 2 hands moved the ball to 1 hand and stretched out for the endzone as he was falling forward. I think as written the call was correct, but I don't think this is really what the rule is meant to be used for. The rule is meant to be used when clear possession can not be determined as a player is making a catch while going to the ground.

In other words if a player is making a diving catch possession is not awarded until they show clear possession through the process of the dive. It's also for when players take contact as they are catching a pass. They have to maintain control during the catch and contact.

I don't believe either of those really apply to this catch though. He didn't really take contact during the catch and his contact with the ground is not immediately after the catch. It's all part of one sequence and the stumble and subsequent fall are a result of his jumping up to make the catch but none of that is immediately occurring during the catch. It all happens afterward as he is making a clear attempt with possession to reach for the goal line.

What gets me is how do they rule this if the ball had crossed the Goal Line? It's still incomplete I'd assume or is it? Would they have ruled possession with the ball crossing the line before he lost control? Would the extra step or slight lunge forward have made the difference between catch vs no catch?

I feel for Cowboy fans this should have been a catch once he pulled it into his body with 2 hands as contact with the ground was not immediately during that process. The going to the ground part happens well after he had time to move the ball into 1 hand and stretch for the TD. That's a pretty clear indicator he had possession and control.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what Kinzu? #37 of the Packers trips Dez after he comes down with the ball. You can see it pretty clearly on the replay posted on NFL.com. Once that happens, you can argue that Dez is now a ball carrier, and that changes things. So crazy how we only micro analyze portions of a play, but not the entire play.

I think you're right though. I think this rail isn't being used as it was intended to be used.

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL really needs to scrap their rulebook.

That absolutely was a catch. And the refs made the right call by enforcing the NFL's awful rule.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL really needs to scrap their rulebook.

That absolutely was a catch. And the refs made the right call by enforcing the NFL's awful rule.

The question I haven't heard the national guys answer is, when does a player with the ball become a ball carrier? That answer is critical to the play in question.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question I haven't heard the national guys answer is, when does a player with the ball become a ball carrier? That answer is critical to the play in question.

When the ground causes a receiver to lose possession before he's made a "football move," by rule, he hasn't completed the process of the catch. Thus, it's an incompletion. There was a point in time when he had control, but, sadly, that doesn't matter. kinda baffling that you can hold a ball for so long and it's not a catch, but was the correct application of a questionable rule. It appears making a football move is subject to interpretation as well.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what Kinzu? #37 of the Packers trips Dez after he comes down with the ball. You can see it pretty clearly on the replay posted on NFL.com. Once that happens, you can argue that Dez is now a ball carrier, and that changes things. So crazy how we only micro analyze portions of a play, but not the entire play.

I think you're right though. I think this rail isn't being used as it was intended to be used.

The defender touching him is inconsequential to it being a catch ("possession") or not, per the rule book:

"Note 1: A player who goes to the ground in the process of attempting to secure possession of a loose ball (with or without contact by an opponent) must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, there is no possession. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, it is a catch, interception, or recovery."

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same pos ref gave the packers the call when the ball clearly hit the ground. He needs to be chop blocked behind the knees next season.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defender touching him is inconsequential to it being a catch ("possession") or not, per the rule book:

"Note 1: A player who goes to the ground in the process of attempting to secure possession of a loose ball (with or without contact by an opponent) must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, there is no possession. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, it is a catch, interception, or recovery."

Bryant took 3 fucking steps after he secured the ball. Is that not a football move? Let's pretend that a green bay player would have knocked the ball out at the goal line. It would have been ruled a fumble because he had control of the ball for over 2 steps. Nfl needs to fix the rule. Just a pathetic reversal.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't care about the Cowboys or the Packers... but if that's not a catch then something needs to change.

Why is a ball carrier able to reach for the endzone without fear of what the ground might do... but a receiver who has secured the ball in air (and got several feet down) not able to?

I'm not convinced that the NFL rules truly state that that isn't a catch.... but if they do.... there's no question they need to change.

This is much worse than the Calvin catch in my mind... cause Dez is reaching for the goal line. That's something the rules should incentivize not penalize.