• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ref says he wont allow Chip Kelly Oregon speed in NFL

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't seem to find the link, but saw this on twitter yesterday with one of the Philly beat writers. Apparenetly someone asked one of the veteran referees if Chip Kelly and Eagles will be able to run Oregon tempo in the NFL and he said, "I wont allow it."

WTF?!? How can a ref completely take away the strategy of another team? Seems completely unfair.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it is hard to make union workers speed up, so I'm not too surprised.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can't. The only way to stop their tempo is to just not place the ball fast enough. They already have to get the ball placed quickly when an offense is running the no huddle at the end of close games. If he simply refused to place the ball quickly in that scenario there would be outrage and he would lose his job. Same should be the case here.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember that the NFL changed where the umpire goes to back behind the QB opposite the referee. For some reason, this takes longer than the normal umpire position, and the team is not supposed to snap the ball until the umpire is in position. I remember seeing Peyton get pissed at the umpire for not going fast enough and effectively slowing them down. If they were to just try and slow it down for the hell of it, I agree, that's not cool. Just a thought that maybe that's what he was talking about. :noidea:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can he stop them? If he does something stupid like deliberately take his time to place the ball he'll catch a lot of shit from the media and then his bosses will come down on him. Plus, how many times would he even ref a Philly game? Once or twice? The Eagles can even ask the NFL to not allow him to officiate their games. Shouldn't be that hard to convince the NFL of that if he is on record saying that he will not allow the Eagles to play at a fast tempo.

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually because teams doing that high uptempo offense were breaking the rules last season and refs let it slide. I remember the Jets were saying how the refs weren't calling the penalties on the patriots for what they were doing.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well considering some of the new rules where if the Offense subs they have to allow the defense to sub and frankly the refs are not going to forgo measurements just because the offense is rushing to the line, they probably wont be running to place the ball as fast as the offense wants. Never saw an Oregon game so I dont know how fast he ran his offense compared to what the hurry up in the NFL is like.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well considering some of the new rules where if the Offense subs they have to allow the defense to sub and frankly the refs are not going to forgo measurements just because the offense is rushing to the line, they probably wont be running to place the ball as fast as the offense wants. Never saw an Oregon game so I dont know how fast he ran his offense compared to what the hurry up in the NFL is like.

I only watched a couple, but it was insanely fast, like 10-15 seconds at times. I may be off by a little, OD could probably say better.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohh...He can stop em!...

Last edited by a moderator:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Same here, I cannot imagine it is any faster than what GB and NE have done the last few years. Both of those teams were pretty quick play-to-play.

SickFelonIsGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see this link/article.......

Not saying you are lying, but I just can't believe a ref would be that stupid to come out and publicly say this, because it is illegal for him to stop it. There is nothing that he could do. He would lose his job, and if there really is an article of him saying this, he might get reprimanded just for saying it.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good source, OP.

Will have to use that one in the future.