• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reed and cease-and-desist letter

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An attorney for Patrick Reed sent a cease-and-desist letter to Golf Channel analyst Brandel Chamblee demanding he stop referring to the golfer as a cheater for his actions at a tournament in the Bahamas last month.

Golfweek obtained the letter in which attorney Peter Ginsberg wrote that the purpose "is to obtain assurance that you will refrain from any further dissemination, publication or republication of false and defamatory statements concerning Mr. Reed, including any allegations that he 'cheated' at the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas."

Chamblee has been a vocal critic of Reed in the aftermath of a rules violation during the third round of the tournament in which the golfer was assessed a two-shot penalty for improving his line of play when he took two practice strokes in a waste area. Among things he said on the air was that "to defend what Patrick Reed did is defending cheating. It's defending breaking the rules."

Chamblee acknowledged to ESPN that he had received the letter, which hints at legal action.

"The letter accuses flippant and reckless comments," Chamblee said. "My comments were weighed heavily before they came out of my mouth, and they were meant to address the larger issue of what I believe to be the decaying traditions of the game. This game has always had at its core the belief that self-governing gives the game its appeal. Inasmuch as we play the game for camaraderie. The self-governing tradition is slowly being replaced by a catch-me-if-you-can attitude.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't like being called a cheater......

DON'T CHEAT!

simple as that

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well...Chamblee has the right to his opinion on what he saw Reid do in the Bahamas or any other tourney.

Beyond that, it can get iffy.

Reid did plenty to damage his own reputation with his actions and how he handled the aftermath. Chamblee can talk about the Bahamas until he's blue in the face or any other "incident" that cameras have picked up, but in terms of using general terms to say a player is a cheater could be perceived as damaging somebody's reputation. Endorsement potential, etc.

Maybe not blue in the face, because at some point that could be view as trying to damage someone's reputation as well. For instance...if Chamblee is still banging on this in 202...they could be viewed as excessive maybe.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...Chamblee has the right to his opinion on what he saw Reid do in the Bahamas or any other tourney.

Beyond that, it can get iffy.

Reid did plenty to damage his own reputation with his actions and how he handled the aftermath. Chamblee can talk about the Bahamas until he's blue in the face or any other "incident" that cameras have picked up, but in terms of using general terms to say a player is a cheater could be perceived as damaging somebody's reputation. Endorsement potential, etc.

Maybe not blue in the face, because at some point that could be view as trying to damage someone's reputation as well. For instance...if Chamblee is still banging on this in 202...they could be viewed as excessive maybe.

Exactly. This is all it boils down too... An opinion.... Reed imo brought this all on himself

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. This is all it boils down too... An opinion.... Reed imo brought this all on himself

100%.

We saw something like this happen to Cink, and Kuchar and Matt was recent....own it, apologize and move on. Trying to blow it off as not a big deal...makes it a big deal.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100%.

We saw something like this happen to Cink, and Kuchar and Matt was recent....own it, apologize and move on. Trying to blow it off as not a big deal...makes it a big deal.

Yup! For the most part people have "forgotten" about Kuchar and his "issues". Reed isn't doing himself any favors

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup! For the most part people have "forgotten" about Kuchar and his "issues". Reed isn't doing himself any favors

Yeah the golf world is pretty forgiving on maybe things...DJ was shutdown for illegal drug use, Tiger and his issues, Cink, we mentioned Kuchar add the caddie thing to him, Phil at the USO hit a moving ball, VJ had some issues about a scorecard or something years ago.

Things happen...now intently cheating in golf is a different level, but what he did falls under the I took it too far, I made a mistake category, most people forgive and forget pretty quickly.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Video was
"Exclusive Look at a grueling Practice session for Patrick Reed"

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reed should have had his tour card rescinded. I don't believe that any of the examples pointed put in this thread may be accurately compared.

Someone show me camera footage of another player's blatant attempt to improve his lie with the player expecting nobody to know or notice. Phil had no expectation that hitting the rolling ball would go unnoticed. If, as some suggest, he did it on purpose to protest the conditions of the waste area then he would have immediately called the penalty on himself.

Reed's is singularly the most blatant act I have ever seen a player try to pull off.

Now, what's most disturbing is that older players like me are stoic about this while younger players are, on some level, ok with it. That's fucking sad.

Take his card.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reed should have had his tour card rescinded. I don't believe that any of the examples pointed put in this thread may be accurately compared.

Someone show me camera footage of another player's blatant attempt to improve his lie with the player expecting nobody to know or notice. Phil had no expectation that hitting the rolling ball would go unnoticed. If, as some suggest, he did it on purpose to protest the conditions of the waste area then he would have immediately called the penalty on himself.

Reed's is singularly the most blatant act I have ever seen a player try to pull off.

Now, what's most disturbing is that older players like me are stoic about this while younger players are, on some level, ok with it. That's fucking sad.

Take his card.

No precedent set here though...Cink and Kuchar have both been caught doing something similar.

I think the most the tour could probably do would be to DQ the player from that event. I'm not even sure that could rescind a tour card for a rules violation.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
golf's a gentleman's game, Reed was accessed his penalty and the rest of the world should move on and clean out their own deadwood in their ponds.

"golf is a good walk spoiled.." Mark Twain

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Take his card.

The bigger sin here if you will...okay he did it and he got caught. Instead of having some humility, some remorse, he kinda shrugged it off as no big deal (which is probably why some of the younger players have more or less done the same thing), and that imo is a huge slap to the integrity of the game...he didn't give a shit.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bigger sin here if you will...okay he did it and he got caught. Instead of having some humility, some remorse, he kinda shrugged it off as no big deal (which is probably why some of the younger players have more or less done the same thing), and that imo is a huge slap to the integrity of the game...he didn't give a shit.

No humility is a vast understatement. He fucking MOCKED the accusation the next week with his shoveling motion with his putter. He should lose his card.

reed-shovel.jpg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
golf's a gentleman's game, Reed was accessed his penalty and the rest of the world should move on and clean out their own deadwood in their ponds.

"golf is a good walk spoiled.." Mark Twain

It goes a little deeper than gentleman's game...gentleman can and will cheat. It's suppose to be a self governing game and when players at the top of the sport cheat and act like it's not a big deal, that's a big blow.

Fortunately nobody gives a fuck about Mark Twain's take on golf...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No humility is a vast understatement. He fucking MOCKED the accusation the next week with his shoveling motion with his putter. He should lose his card.

reed-shovel.jpg

I can't agree on taking the card, because others have done something similar and still are on tour, but if there was a way to fine the hell out of him...I would.

If you take his card, you set the stage for a lawsuit (taking a man's liveliyhood away

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No precedent set here though...Cink and Kuchar have both been caught doing something similar.

I think the most the tour could probably do would be to DQ the player from that event. I'm not even sure that could rescind a tour card for a rules violation.
Tiger Woods blatantly cheated at the Master's golf tournament in 2013 and only received a slap on the wrist.