• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds, Skip Schumaker Agree To Two-Year Deal

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds have agreed to terms with utilityman Skip Schumaker on a two-year deal, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). Schumaker is represented by Nez Balelo of CAA Sports.
Schumaker, who turns 34 in Februrary, slashed .263/.332/.332 in 356 plate appearances for the Dodgers in 2013. Though he offers positional flexibility -- he appeared at second base and all three outfield positions this season -- Schumaker does not play any one position particularly well. He posted negative UZR and DRS marks at all four of his positions in 2013 and has registered negative defensive value each season since 2008, according to Fangraphs.
Even if he isn't a gifted defender though, Schumaker will give new Reds manager Bryan Price a versatile piece off his bench that has slashed a respectable .279/.347/.357 against right-handed pitching over the past two seasons. A veteran of nine big league seasons between the Cardinals and Dodgers, Schumaker is a career .285/.344/.372 hitter in 3,043 plate appearances.
This is the second two-year deal issued by GM Walt Jocketty in the young offseason. Cincinnati has already agreed to a two-year deal with backstop Brayan Pena. Cheap multiyear deals for bench pieces are nothing new for Jocketty, who has guaranteed multiple years to Miguel Cairo and Jack Hannahan in recent years.

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Nice bench addition for a guy who can play all over the field.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been a 2 hitter...maybe a utility guy in name only- the Refs OF isnt exactly locked up, and still speculation about how long Phillips will be a Red...not only isn't Schumaker a great defender, he has no power or speed. He is probably a better hitter than either Reds utility player last year though.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that, he's the one former Bird, except for Carp, who I didn't like.
No reason, just didn't.
But he can play a little outfield.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walt loves his Cardinals castoffs...

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skippy can play a little outfield, and he's apparently a 10-WAR for "clubhousey-ness."
I find that hard to believe.
I think he's being the plug (again) to be used in CF until Hamilton is "ready."

What I want to know is how much input Price had in this signing. If none, then the F.O. has manufactured a real strange agenda. Give the manager more poop and expect him to make a pot-roast. Dusty can relate to that.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I think that Dusty took a team that was supposed to win a playoff series, make a LCS and a World Series appearence, and turned it into not winning a single home playoff game. Unfortunately, that roster opportunity left after this season, without reloading a couple of bullets that were fired into the ground. Choo was a one year hire intended to get to the Series with. Arroyos last year wasn't intended to get him an extension, it was to draw enough fans to buy another hitter with after he left. Chapman should have struck out 275 hitters in 160 innings as a starter, not sat and watched the Reds lose the division to sub .500 teams. Phillips contract was among the best 2b contracts at the time he signed it, turning him into a smiling, fan loving tweet darling, and 2 years later he's a vindictive, .260 hitting powerless malcontent that wants MVP money. Timing is everything, unless your on a 2 year deal with Dusty. The Reds may be giving Price a 3 year rebuild contract now. Hopefully Ludwick, Phillips and Shumaker won't be trying to live up to their contracts playing Miguel Cairo's role by then.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have fun having this guy because he cant hit a lick, his a good dude to have around but his garbage at age 34 now!

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have fun having this guy because he cant hit a lick, his a good dude to have around but his garbage at age 34 now!

Hit? Skippy is going to be the closer.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF are the Reds thinking? This team better get a quality player or 2 because losing Choo and Arroyo will have a big impact on this teams ability to compete. Loosing YoYo's innings means Cingrani has to be consistent. Losing Choo is going to be hard to overcome. Who is going to get on base? Plus, when this team had people getting on base they couldn't get the big hits to get them in. The Reds need a good hitter in the outfield or they will watch the Cards, Pirates, and likely the Brewers challenge for the division.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Skip is a quality addition to DEPTH, unfortunately, without a couple of additions ABOVE him on the chart, there is no depth. Again, I think that Dusty stepped on his dick the last few years when the roster WAS deep enough to win more than it did...and now, the Reds are trying to balance veteran payroll and farm talent, with too much of the former to buy immediate help, and too little of the later to trade for immediate help, or provide it from within. Hamilton might be a weapon, if he can get on base, Ludwick might if he can post a year like he has had 3-4 times in his entire career, at an advanced age and after 4 shoulder surgeries- ( remember Scott Rolen ) and he wasn't ever that great to begin with. Frazier needs to hit more, and if he's going to occupy a lineup spot in the middle of the order, Phillips .260 / less than 20HR isn't enough either. Cozart and the catcher aren't going to be hitters of note anytime soon.

As uncomfortable as I am with trading pitching, this team may have to give up a pitcher- Leake or Bailey or Cueto for a real impact hitter. I still believe Chapman in the bullpen is the biggest waste (after Dusty )Baker in team history, and if Cingrani is ready to be a SP too, the Reds could afford one less RHSP to make room for a hitter and 2 LHSP...the Reds could accommodate a hitter at either 3b or the OF, as Frazier could play either place. In a bit suprized the Reds haven't been linked to talks with KY native Corey Hart, if his recent knee issues wouldn't keep him out of the OF. He's better than Ludwick or Frazier with the bat.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants (among others) are talking to Arroyo, and they finally got rid of Zito. They aren't laden with hitters, but aren't real happy with the Panda either- he hasn't shown much power in huge SF stadium, but if the guy isn't 300 lbs, I would risk Leake for him...has shown he can hit for average, is a switch hitter I believe, and probably has more power than Phillips- could he play 3b and move Frazier to OF ? I've not heard anything like this, but just spinning a thought.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I don't see that the Reds have any options. They have to trade Hanigan and they have to trade a pitcher. There isn't any way this team will compete unless they do. Bailey is the most likely trade. I don't think Phillips is going to be dealt, truthfully. If anywhere, Detroit.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hit? Skippy is going to be the closer.

:10:

This guy is a liability on the roster but may be good for the clubhouse.

Did I miss how much money is involved?

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't heard what the salary is either. I assume it's not Ludwick money or anything...I mean paying Sludgewick $9M next year is effen ridiculous.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If possible, I'd rather keep Bailey than Leake, and with the Reds Medical staff's less than stellar record if correct diagnosis and effective cure, even Cueto- because if he can't pitch 200 innings, I'd rather have Bailey- who can.

Besides, only 5 if the last 51 World Series winners had no LHSP, and I'm less confident in Cingrani filling that role than Chapman, and 2 LHSP is better than 1...I also believe that Leake has already had his best year, maybe so has Cueto...but Bailey and Latos haven't yet.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been reported that the S.S Schumaker deal is for two years/ $5M.

I don't think keeping Bailey is going to be an option, he's signed one year deals every year to this point. If he doesn't extend with this being his last year of arbitration, he'll probably test the market. We'll know by mid January when the arbitration cases are settled. I think he wants to go back to Texas. He's big time into the horses and ranching lifestyle.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:10:

This guy is a liability on the roster but may be good for the clubhouse.

Did I miss how much money is involved?

I think a chick with big gazongas would be good for the clubhouse.
This $5 million here, $5 million there for spare parts is pissing me off.
Why do we need another extra outfielder?

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do we need an extra outfielder ? Because we only have one OF that hit enough last year to pencil in this year. After 4 years, we still don't believe in Heisey, but we have high hopes for Hamilton, who hit 10 points lower in AAA than Stubbs and Cozart did. Ludwick has had 3 effective offensive months in the last 4 years, but were hoping he can still be worth the $9M he'll get paid next year ? BP may decide to play 2b without bending over, hustle like Adam Dunn and hit like Miguel Cairo next year if he doesn't get a $100M apology from Castellini. Who knows ?

I like $5 mil for Schumaker than $9M for Ludwick, so maybe the Reds expectations and salary ate starting to be related again...will he be the difference this year ? Hell no. This team was a manager, a coaching staff, two bats and a LHSP from the World Series last year. Now, they just need the bats and someone that can recognize Chapman and Cingrani as LHSP's....half the battle is over right ?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with .230 hitters is that only so many of them can bat 8th.