• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds roster

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a lot of assumption that Puig is going to have a monster season. He might hit more home runs playing at GABP, but it's not necessarily going to translate as much in raising his batting average. He's been a league average hitter for the most part. Sadly that's more than we can say about home grown outfielders the past couple decades.

I like Jose Peraza to have a good season. If playing SS I see him as a contender for the silver slugger. He won't win any gold gloves, but I think he's maturing into a 20+ HR threat. He's a bigger kid than most people probably think he is.

Votto had a down year by Votto standards. I tend to believe it's age related decline and might be the trend. I don't expect a big bounce back.

Suarez was really good the 1st half and slumped the 2nd. I can't decide if the 1st half was just flash in the pan. He looked clueless the 2nd half.

I'm still a little surprised the club is content with its defensive options in CF. Games at GABP won't be as brutal, but it'll cost them a few games on the road. All of the current options are probably the weakest defensive CF in the NL. None are better than Shin Soo Choo and he wasn't that good, but at least he got on base 300 times that season.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are counting on advancing the offense to offset the defense. The IF defense is better now with Iglesias and Peraza. Votto needs to upgrade his glove a little this year.

The OF that Hamilton gave them was probably more than was realistic for any team but Schebler isn't going to get to many balls. Of the bunch, I'd rate Kemp the smartest OF. Winker may be better than we think.

There is always a touch of luck involved in any season. This team doesn't have as many options as some semi-experts think.

But it's 15 games better than last year at this time.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Jesse Winker as a Ryan Ludwick type defensive outfielder. They catch the ones they're supposed to and hit the cutoff man after picking up the ones they don't. Similar arm strength and foot speed.

Most any year the Reds are successful they need guys having career type seasons. I see too many guys on this roster that their best years are in the rear view mirror.

I like the bench more than recent years. Iglesias has already proven to be a good acquisition and the season hasn't even begun yet. Dietrich and Farmer are solid guys that provide some defensive flex.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I offer this as proof that I can still hope.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opening day game was a good game to watch. The bullpen didn't look so good, but they came through when it counted.
I would think that Pittsburgh thought, that was a game they should have won

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Reds won the opener, even happier it appears Pirates aren't any better. Castillo pitched well enough, but the bullpen couldn't find the strikezone. It was a minor miracle the Reds didn't blow that one in the 8th. Lorenzen as a defensive replacement in CF was a weird one, as was sending Suarez on a steal attempt.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirates are seriously offense-challenged without Marte.
Tallion is a keeper for them.

There appears to be significant lack of confidence in Peralta in the pen if blowhard tHom B. is to believed. Oddly him making that comment was strange. If there are issues with Peralta, it's not up to the radio booth to discuss it on air.
The odder part is, if the guy sucks in high leverage, why's he on the team?
Outfield defense looked like a running night club joke. Schebler in left field is like me driving on the right side of the road.
If you want interesting, Puig will excite you. A team that wins the division every year (LAD) didn't find it any better than a Jan & Dean song.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a brighter side , the Reds infield defense should be better . At least for a few months.

The Pirates embarrassed the Reds on that Saurez steal attempted, and that play in the outfield letting the guy score

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gray wasn't very impressive, neither was the Reds hitters.

I don't think the Reds 1,3,4,5, hitters has had a hit yet

Bell said Gray was starting to get better and could have stayed in the game. He said this after he walked the pitcher with the bases loaded.

Still early

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iglesias and Peraza are plus defenders, Suarez is acceptable and improving, but Votto is not much of a glove. Ilike his D, but Iglesias is probably going to make us miss Scooters bat before too long.

Never seen 4 OF in MLB until last night...also noticed that Grandal shift still allowed him a couple hits.

IMO, Reds pitching still stinks. Maybe the pitch calling doesn’t help them
( getting beat on 3rd best pitches too much), but with few exceptions, Reds pitchers just don’t locate; they walk too many, and possibly worse, miss inside the zone to get beat up too frequently.

There are reasons Wood, Gray and Roark are Reds...not unhappy the Reds made moves, but value, is a relative term. There is more risk than upside reward with all 3. DeSclafani has been injured for 2/3 of his short career. Castillo is young and healthy enough to be optimistic with,but his 2018 numbers were unattractive.

Is the bullpen improved ? I hope so because it was among the worst last year. Iglesias doesn’t appear to have a clue at the moment, and he’s the expected late inning arm. Garret still can’t find the plate consistently. It’s early, but so far I haven’t seen anything pitching wise, that looks like that. much of an improvement in the W column.

The offense looks better on paper, except they only have 1 player that can steal more than a few bases. The bench is better, if they don’t have to play 100 games as starters.

David Bell apppears to be unafraid to be unconventional, but until 4 man OF shifts, low OBP power hitters leading off, pitchers playing the OF, or stealing below average runners in tie games, starts resulting in wins, it just looks like desperation. It’s hard to make up for lack of routine execution (usually a result of thin talent) with occasional gimmicks.

Reds payroll is at about the 50 percentile of MLB teams, but I’m doubting they can win half their games in a NLC division with 3 teams with legitimate playoff chances.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds really need to start beating teams in their own division a little more. Last year they were awful against the NL-C and it's not looking good so far this year.

Too many hitters in slumps, not scoring enough against the other team's starters. You can't beat plus bullpens in the NL.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't help that the Brewers are really good, and also really hot right now.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Schebler is toast. He went down the tubes last year after that shoulder injury and it's not improving with time. Shoulder injuries slow bat speed. The league knows that now.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opposing pitchers aren't having any trouble navigating through this lineup. I would say everyone has been a rally killer.

On paper the team ERA is 3.00, but it doesn't seem like it's been that good. Too many walks, but they have kept the ball in the park. A walk, a balk, and a single did them in today.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a disappointing start to the season. Not that I was expecting to return to the BRM type days, but I was thinking more of being around 500 after a week.
Kemp batting third is like putting Billy Hamilton batting 3rd

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One assumes the offense will reach its fair water level but they seem like they are waiting for somebody else to step up and start a rally. You just can't go 24 hitters into a game with 1 baserunner. Freddie Peralta is a good pitcher, but he's not a great one. The Reds have seen him. All of them have.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday was a beautiful day to watch baseball at GABP. The baseball itself not so much.

I was talking to an usher the last couple innings. It was more him venting than a conversation. The one thing he said that really stood out. "It's getting tough to be a Reds' fan." I can assume he'd be fired if the Reds knew he said it, but personally I felt sorry for the guy.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere that Puig, Kemp, Schebler, and Winker are a combined 4-48 with the latter two being hitless. That's not what everyone had in mind when the club let Hamilton go in exchange for more OF offense.

I think we can assume they'll collectively hit better at some point, but I don't see the OF defense improving.

This outfield has been a desperate experiment gone wrong.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OF is going to break our hearts even if Senzel is the newest version of Mercury. I think eventually they will team up for about 65 dingers, 10 errors and an infinite number of throws to the wrong base.

But all that possible, this isn't a horrible team. The pitching is so far much better, and isn't likely to need a bunch of 4A hacks to get through to June.

I am not too worried about the hitting.