• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds going after Javier Lopez

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy has a 1.42 ERA. From what I have heard this has a really good chance of getting done.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would definitely help the bullpen

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Fay just tweeted me and said. "They want a ready SP" Thats way to much, if that the case. Then this probably wont happen.Unless price goes down

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would the Reds make public that they are talking about dealing for a player?
I mean, come on ... Walt isn't required to discuss this stuff.
Here's how that goes:
Guy in media: "You looking for pitching?"
Walt: "Always."
"Starter or reliever?"
Walt: "Yes."
"Lefty?"
Walt: "We all need lefties."
"Javier Lopez?"
Walt: "He's a lefty."
"Going after him?"
Walt: "They'd want a lot."
"They have rotation problems."
Walt: "Yes, they do."

And suddenly, the Reds are interested in Javy Lopez but the Giants want a starter in return.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JOHNU- Do you run this board? I can post whatever I want lol. You're the most complaining person I have ever seen on here.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn--JohnU --I thought I was the most complaining person LOL. I can never make to the top spot of nothing.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care what you post. If it's not sensible I will disagree. So start with the premise about Javy Lopez and work backward. Why would the Reds be interested in a Loogy? How does that help the team? What the Reds need to do is play better and all the gloriosity and mind-numbing optimism won't change that.

I have high standards. When they play well, I applaud that. So far, I haven't seen much playing well, except for Mike Leake, who can't get a bunt down. Mat Latos pitches well -- for 6 innings.

Bits and pieces of high standards ... there is nothing here to replace. Except for the dreadful dugout staff. These posts are for discussion. I discuss. Others discuss. I post stuff all the time. Folks disagree.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan is a very positive Reds supporter. In a torrential downpour, he reminds us a rainbow will follow. When I was a young guy, I was afraid of nothing. Determined. Confident. Optimistic.

Life has a way of beating you up over the long season of a life actively lived. The way it should be is still recognized, but the way it is, and to a degree why it's that way, is something that you don't usually fully realize until way down the road. It's why us older guys are more cynical, more likely to point out potholes lying up the road to bust a tire on that fresh young racecar of youthful optimism. We've changed a lot of flats before.

For me, a lot of my dissatisfaction with the Reds is that when team weaknesses are finally recognized and
addressed with new players, the Reds still seem to find ways to waste opportunities those players can't always make up for. You can't tell me that a manager is doing all he can by not TRYING to bunt a leadoff
double over, in the middle of a month long scoring draught... or hitting a .230 hitter he refuses to steal or bunt in the 2 spot, with a speedy .280 hitter in the bottom of the lineup, or on the pine. Any time there are so many unnecessary outs on baserunners, and still have so many LOB, tells me it's a team effort not scoring. It all points to needing better use of the tools we have, than needing new ones...because frankly, the new ones haven't made a positive difference in the W-L, even though many are clearly better tools than the ones we had last year. That is supposed to make you better, not worse.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for your enthusiasm ryanballa. this particular board, and some of it's major contributors, tend to go on dismissive overwrought tangents. part of being a fan is willfully suspending disbelief; to enjoy and embrace the intangibles that make it the greatest game. it's what has always separated trolley dodger fans from red leg fans. healthy amounts of cynicism, which are necessary, can sometimes spiral down into weary unceasing pessimism, which can, at times, take the fun out of reading, or participating on, this board. you know what i mean johnu?

and btw 1507, if that's what the definition of getting older is, kill me now. i don't feel beat up. in fact, i'm invigorated by new thoughtful analysis. sadly, most of the recent posts on this board are repeats of the same subjects. it's boring. there's a lot more to this game than dusty's shortcomings. there's another ridiculous element to this board that i should point out. jasonhart posts some good natured chops busting that isn't remotely nasty, while some of the so-called reds fans / posters regularly key-in filthy unthoughtful bloodless dumb unholy tripe. they never get called on it, or threatened with banishment. it's hypocrisy in its purest form.

good lord 1507 try to hold onto to some youthful exuberance. it's imperative. we don't know each other's life experiences intimately, but i can tell you, without exaggeration, that I've been to hell and back, and back again. i still love this existence. you're writing like a 75 year old man. you're not 75, and my gut tells me there's a lot of life left in you. you have flair and passion. and beyond that, you definitely still have all your marbles. it's all expressed in your writings.

so. i say 3 cheers to ryanballa. we don't have to 'wait until next year.' the reds are in it. the offense is boring, but the pitching has been a pleasure to watch this year. mike leake has been amazing this year. yeah, 'amazing' is definitely the right word. take a look at his game logs. i wonder where the reds would be if he had not substantially stepped it up this year?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which can, at times, take the fun out of reading, or participating on, this board. you know what i mean johnu?

I suppose I can sit here and watch Zach Cozart get picked off base twice in 2 innings and pretend that it was great defense. Or I can watch Heisey, Robinson, Cozart and Frazier swing at pitches 24 inches off the plate in the dirt on an 0-2 count and pretend it was great pitching.

I suppose that will work.

These boards are an outlet for me. I am not going to kick my cat over this.
But I can release frustration here. Everybody watches the same thing I watch. If you don't have a frustration button, then ... being old is the least of your problems.

Have your fun where you will.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when i was a 4 year old living in a apartment in north college hill there was this old man that would sit on his porch and constantly yell at me to stay off of his lawn. i was just a kid throwing the baseball up in the air and catching it. he would just sit there all day. i guess that was the highlight of his day.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had that too back in my home town. We just went to the park and played. Solved everyone's problem.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, it didn't solve everyone's problem.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right. We lost the ball in Mr. Cooney's garden and smashed all his cucumbers trying to find it.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just when I'm most fatigued, and need a vacation, the Reds go on one instead.

Im not ancient, I'm 54, probably with a 64 year old body. Im not ready to roll over yet, but its harder for me to be as sunnily optimistic, I need to leave that to you younger guys who have more energy to renew faith all the time.

I am less tolerant now, mainly because I'm tired of going out of my way for people that demand a clear path and easy slope so they aren't beat up like me at my age. Id like more of them to do something on their own. I respect the hell out of people that grew up with little and went on slogging anyway. I despise quitters, slackers, and undeservedly entitled people. I admire reasons, and applying lessons learned, and abhor excuses and blame at everyone else but the guy pointing the finger. Corky Miller sucks as a MLB player, but I believe he's always giving all he's got. I dont blame Walt for not considering both hos catchets would be down at the same time. This team has talent, but may be allowed to be too stupid to maximize it. That's frustrating to me. It's a cop out. Ignorance is repairable with education, but stupidity is incurable. You gotta go another direction sometimes.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes when people rant over the same tribe---just maybe they are on to something. Ya ever stop to think of that? Is it over the top to rant about something because you want it to be better? Or because you see the cause a problem? Optimism is a wonderful thing, it keeps the blind going day after day. I have my eye sight and I call it like it is and will respect those who disagree.