• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ReDraft Optimization

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Draft
Now that the draft is over, who would you have selected at
18, 40, 55, 88, etc...(Note: Just because you don't select Reid at 18 doesn't mean you can assume he would drop to 40 AND no trades)

1(18). DeAndre Hopkins
2(40). Jonathan Banks
2(55). Robert Alford
3(88). Duke Williams
4(128). Quinton Patton (BAALKE APPROVED)
4(131). Levine Tiololo
5(157). Quinton Dial (Trusting in Baalke for this one)
6(180). Ty Powell
7(237). Jeff Tuel
7(246). Rontez Miles
7(252). Daniel Simmons (Who's not even a UDFA pickup as of now)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Draft
18, 40, 55, 88, etc...(Note: Just because you don't select Reid at 18 doesn't mean you can assume he would drop to 40 AND no trades)

1(18). DeAndre Hopkins
2(40). Jonathan Banks
2(55). Robert Alford
3(88). Duke Williams
4(131). Levine Tiololo
6(180). Ty Powell
7(237). Jeff Tuel
7(246). Rontez Miles

leaning DB's would've been ok too, but since i'm partial to fixing the rush FIRST. can't help liking Tank and Lemonier, ie how it actually panned out.

was thinking we'd draft first 3 of 4 on defense, the exception being a WR. so would've been ok with Hopkins at 18th.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait... don't they usually wait at least a year or two before doing these?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They do... he doesn't. ;)

It's already May... Get over it guys, we could have profited more in the draft if Baalke would just call me, I've emailed him my number numerous times as a job as scouting director!

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's already May... Get over it guys, we could have profited more in the draft if Baalke would just call me, I've emailed him my number numerous times as a job as scouting director!

wait.......are you forgetting your optimization is AFTER the draft?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
wait.......are you forgetting your optimization is AFTER the draft?

This is just for future reference, so the next time I email him there's something timestamped for me to go off of. :-)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is just for future reference, so the next time I email him there's something timestamped for me to go off of. :-)

oh ok if you think so?

sure you're not buying into your own hype? haa

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Draft

1(18). DeAndre Hopkins
2(40). Jonathan Banks
2(55). Robert Alford
3(88). Duke Williams
4(131). Levine Tiololo
6(180). Ty Powell
7(237). Jeff Tuel
7(246). Rontez Miles

who makes the team at WR? You drafted 2 WRs in the first 5 picks...both would presumably make the roster since they are in the first 4 rounds. I don't think this is a good use of draft picks considering it would mean cutting a guy like AJ Jenkins, Manningham, or Kyle Williams. Also where is the DL/OLB depth? Who makes the roster at CB? Is Duke Williams ready to step in and play for a Super Bowl this next season?

Even with the advantage of hindsight, I don't think you get even close to good value with these picks. Seeing stuff like this makes me feel a lot better about Baalke's picks

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2014 ReDraft Optimization:

30. Jimmie Ward
57. Allen Robinson
70. Marcus Martin
77. Dri Archer
100. Brandon Thomas
106. Pierre Desir
129. Aaron Murray
150. Jordan Tripp
170. Keith Reaser
180. Lache Seastrunk
243. Kaleb Ramsey
245. Anthony Johnson

I'll come back to this next year

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I feel like this would be a more legitimate (if it could be considered legitimate) project if you posted what you would have done in real time. You said earlier you had Seastrunk as your top RB in the draft, would you really have waited until the 180th pick to take your top ranked RB? You probably would have drafted him with one of our 2nd or 3rd round picks claiming the value was just too good to pass up.

By waiting to see how the draft plays out, you get the advantage of taking him way later than you actually valued him. Had you taken him at 70 or 77 (or even 100 or 106) then looking back at it now would make it look like horrible value.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I feel like this would be a more legitimate (if it could be considered legitimate) project if you posted what you would have done in real time. You said earlier you had Seastrunk as your top RB in the draft, would you really have waited until the 180th pick to take your top ranked RB? You probably would have drafted him with one of our 2nd or 3rd round picks claiming the value was just too good to pass up.

By waiting to see how the draft plays out, you get the advantage of taking him way later than you actually valued him. Had you taken him at 70 or 77 (or even 100 or 106) then looking back at it now would make it look like horrible value.

I could do that but it would have to be in real time for it to be perfectly honest. While we were on the clock at 30 I was leaning for Robinson or Bridgewater. Next pick would have been - assuming Jimmie Ward didn't drop - I would have went with Pierre Desir.

I would have started to seriously consider Seastrunk in the 3rd, but not until all gaping holes on the team were filled (WR, CB, KR, SS)

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I could do that but it would have to be in real time for it to be perfectly honest. While we were on the clock at 30 I was leaning for Robinson or Bridgewater. Next pick would have been - assuming Jimmie Ward didn't drop - I would have went with Pierre Desir.

I would have started to seriously consider Seastrunk in the 3rd, but not until all gaping holes on the team were filled (WR, CB, KR, SS)

I think it's a more accurate representation of what you would do (as opposed to what you would have done) if it's done in real time.

Had you posted an Allen Robinson/Pierre Desir combo as your top 2 picks you would look a lot worse given that we could have had Robinson at 56/57 and Desir 70 picks later. Stack that next to your apparent overvaluing of Seastrunk and you have reached on 3 players we could have had with later picks.

By looking at where guys were drafted, and then assigning them to our closest pick of course you can look good. Especially with "name" guys like Seastrunk.

You also had already addressed WR with Robinson (and Stevie Johnson for you) and CB with Desir

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it's a more accurate representation of what you would do (as opposed to what you would have done) if it's done in real time.

Had you posted an Allen Robinson/Pierre Desir combo as your top 2 picks you would look a lot worse given that we could have had Robinson at 56/57 and Desir 70 picks later. Stack that next to your apparent overvaluing of Seastrunk and you have reached on 3 players we could have had with later picks.

By looking at where guys were drafted, and then assigning them to our closest pick of course you can look good. Especially with "name" guys like Seastrunk.

You also had already addressed WR with Robinson (and Stevie Johnson for you) and CB with Desir

I get what you're saying, but that's difficult to do after watching the draft. I didn't even know who Keith Reaser was until today, but the guy would have been high on my radar if I had known about him.

Next year I'll do both... real time and a redraft.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I get what you're saying, but that's difficult to do after watching the draft. I didn't even know who Keith Reaser was until today, but the guy would have been high on my radar if I had known about him.

Next year I'll do both... real time and a redraft.

Isn't that part of the issue though? Obviously you don't have the resources of a front office. But based on you admitting to reaching on 3 picks (including the first 2, and possibly another in the top 100) and not knowing who Reaser is (neither did I) can't speak well to your "resume."

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Isn't that part of the issue though? Obviously you don't have the resources of a front office. But based on you admitting to reaching on 3 picks (including the first 2, and possibly another in the top 100) and not knowing who Reaser is (neither did I) can't speak well to your "resume."

2013 doesn't speak too well either, but I just want to keep up with the players I would have taken.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
2013 doesn't speak too well either, but I just want to keep up with the players I would have taken.

I understand. And I feel like I'm being overly critical.

What I'm requesting is something we've all done in the draft threads (I didn't participate in this year's) when our pick comes up and people start "screaming" names out. I've always laughed in the situations where the same name comes up five picks in a row and people are insisting that we're missing out on a player. It would be interesting to see the "What I would have done" threads in real time from the posters on here that closely follow the draft (you, bingo, pozz, clyde if he returns etc). It's too difficult to dig through the actual draft thread to keep track. With a full year until the next draft, it's as good of a time as any to propose that type of thread next year.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I understand. And I feel like I'm being overly critical.

What I'm requesting is something we've all done in the draft threads (I didn't participate in this year's) when our pick comes up and people start "screaming" names out. I've always laughed in the situations where the same name comes up five picks in a row and people are insisting that we're missing out on a player. It would be interesting to see the "What I would have done" threads in real time from the posters on here that closely follow the draft (you, bingo, pozz, clyde if he returns etc). It's too difficult to dig through the actual draft thread to keep track. With a full year until the next draft, it's as good of a time as any to propose that type of thread next year.

We'll call it the armchair GM Super Bowl:usa2: