• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Recruiting: Fall Big Board (Defense)

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensive Commits: Of our 11 commits, 7 are offensive, one is special teams and only 3 are defensive players:

Trai Mosely: 3-Star CB (2-Star Scout)
Luke Gifford: 3-Star ATH
Mick Stoltenberg: 3-Star DE (most likely starts on the OL though)

Needs going into the season: DT, CB, LB,

DT

Peyton Newell: 4-Star (3-Star Rivals and ESPN) [Hiawatha, KS] - Newell has been Nebraska's top DT target since last summer. He attended BRW win 2012 and 2013. He has been on campus 6 times and always has positive things to say concerning Nebraska. Nebraska desperately needs help on the defensive line and Newell is a special talent within driving distance. Newell will be choosing between Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska and South Carolina on August 31st and all signs point to him being the first BIG commit of the 2013 class on the defensive side of the ball. If/when he gets on board he can be the bell cow for Nebraska's 2013 defensive recruiting class.

Chris Nelson: 3-Star [Lakeland, FL] - Chris Nelson is a very good prospect out of Florida that has been high on Nebraska since he tendered an offer from us. He has quick feet and a very good motor. And his size (6'3" 280 lbs) lends itself to being able to contribute ASAP on the DL. He's a strong player that knows football and is somewhat under the radar in Florida.

Claudeson Pelon: 4-Star JUCO [Mesa, AZ] - Nebraska lost out on their top choice at JUCO DT when Abu Lamin committed to South Carolina just days after his OV to Nebraska. BUT, Nebraska is in on this talented DT from Arizona who is actually rated higher than Lamin according to Rivals.com. Pelon, a consensus 4-star recruit, has a top two of Nebraska and Washington. He's been to UW multiple times and plans on visiting Nebraska for an OV sometime soon. Getting him here is huge considering he really coveted the Nebraska offer before he got it. Pelon is a legit talent, but Nebraska's track record with getting JUCO DTs in the fold the last few years is abysmal. He would be the best bet.

Other Names of Note: Thomas Holley, Daniel Cage, Preston Woods

CB

Raymond Wingo: 4-Star (3-Star ESPN, Scout and Rivals) [St. Louis, MO] - Wingo, in my opinion, is one of the top CB prospects in the nation. He recently released his Top 6 on Rivals.com and it consisted of Arkansas, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan State, Nebraska and Tennessee. Nebraska is squarely in the conversation with this one but needs to make up ground on Arkansas. If the Huskers can get Wingo to visit everything could fall into place.

Adarius Pickett: 4-Star [El Cerrito, CA] - Picket has a fantastic relationship with Terry Joseph and has been quoted as saying he intends to take an OV to Nebraska this season. Picket is one of the top CB prospects in California so as a result he has offers from Cal, UCLA, and USC. Getting him away from home will be difficult but the initial relationship is built. The fact that Pickett has yet to really narrow his list of suitors is a good thing for Nebraska. He IS a long shot but if we can get him on campus anything is possible.

Amani Oruwariye: 3-Star [Tampa, FL] - Amani recently came onto the Nebraska board and they like him as a counterpart to the quicker and small Trai Mosely. Amani stands at 6'1" 185 and plays bigger than that. With his physicality on the outside Nebraska could challenge receivers up close. Amani has a top 3 of Nebraska, Vandy and Michigan State. Seems like everyone is chasing Vandy at this point but Nebraska is in good position. The Huskers MUST get him on campus before he makes his decision to be a real threat here, and it sounds like they are going to.

Other names of note: John "juju" Smith, Deion Hallmon, Tray Carr, Parrker Westphal

LB

Jarmardre Cobb: 4-Star [Los Angelas, CA] - Cobb is taking his recruitment slowly but he is an elite prospect with great speed. He would be a fantastic replacement for Thomas Brown in this class and has the versatility to play multiple positions. He sounds like he's genuinely interested in Nebraska but one can never really tell unless he takes a visit. He's also not afraid of the idea of leaving California as Arizona and Oklahoma are some other teams high on his list. UCLA and USC have yet to offer, and if they do it will make it that much harder to get him to Nebraska but as of right now Nebraska seems to be in the thick of things along with about 18 other schools.

Terrell Lewis: 3-Star (4-Star ESPN) [Ocoee, FL Lewis has mentioned that Nebraska is in his Top 5 along with a more local school in Miami. Lewis is athletic and quick but not overly fast. He tackles well and hits harder. He too would be a welcome replacement for Thomas Brown's departure. As always though, getting him on campus is a must.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks nut. So the bradon (sp) ship has sailed? Sorry I should have asked in the offensive board.

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks nut. So the bradon (sp) ship has sailed? Sorry I should have asked in the offensive board.

Yeah...that ship sailed a while ago. Honestly though... having Foster and Farmer as our guards is really good.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garrald McDowell 6'1" 252 from Louisiana he has offers from every major school the country any chance we can get him here on a visit

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garrald McDowell 6'1" 252 from Louisiana he has offers from every major school the country any chance we can get him here on a visit

We literally just offered him on Wednesday so we are really far behind on this one. Also considering he has an LSU offer already and many other SEC offers I would say long shot is putting it nicely.

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also... as recruiting turns... Terrell Lewis committed to Georgia Tech today.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoy reading these Nuts, right on!

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Player: Josh Frazier
Hometown: Springdale, AR
School: Har-Ber
Position: DT
Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 334
40 time: 5.1
Offers: Alabama, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Texas A&M, USC

Taken from HB.COM

azred

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offers: Alabama, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Texas A&M, USC

Taken from HB.COM

This young man may be what Bo's been waiting for, since Suh left. He is rated a 4* across the board. Would be the anchor the d-line has needed since Suh. Looks to be the real deal. We need one big BOOM this year.

gbr..

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kid practically lives on Arky's campus, no way he ever goes anywhere but his home school

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Springdale is within walking distance from Fayetteville, it would be the equivilant of Banderas choosing Arky over NU, I've spent some time in those parts and ill say its highly unlikely he leaves the house. He's playing the OV game like Petko and that's fine

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Taken from HB.COM
Claims he wants to visit Nebraska but I'll believe it when I see it. As was mentioned... Arkansas' to lose imo. I'll get excited off he comes to visit.

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That being said... anything can happen. Arky has another bad year and he may not want to go there. If he's willing to wait on his decision, the longer the better for us. He's a genuine talent and can play pretty much right away IMO, but i'm waiting to get excited. When I was putting together this short list we hadn't officially offered yet so I left him off. Hopefully, we can gain some traction.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive given up on juco DT's, we need one badly This Year but after that we'll be just fine, snooze you lose juco bitches. Better off bringing up our own from the HS level, and we've got some good ones coming up and more that'll be signing this year. Seems like the people in control are figuring out this recruiting bit now, better later than never

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
News out on Newell that may have him going to KU, huge loss for us if so obviously

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
News out on Newell that may have him going to KU, huge loss for us if so obviously

I think they have been a bigger player than anyone thought but I do not think he goes there. Pretty positive it's all Nebraska. Of course we won't know till August 30. Chris Nelson just committed to Louisville though. Another miss.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they have been a bigger player than anyone thought but I do not think he goes there. Pretty positive it's all Nebraska. Of course we won't know till August 30. Chris Nelson just committed to Louisville though. Another miss.

I hope it's just people overreacting, but with recruiting being an exact science that it is...

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newell announces on Friday... 29 predictions on 247Sports and all 29 say Huskers. Sounds N by all accounts. But Nebraska wants one more HS DT in this class along with hopefully nabbing Pelon. In addition to the guys I mentioned in the beginning of this article Nebraska has recently made headway with some impressive 4-star talents that are planning n visiting come fall.

Ricky Walker, a 4-star DT (by all but Scout) has officially announced that he will be visiting Nebraska for the UCLA game. Walker has a High School game on Thursday night so he can spend most of the day Friday, all day Saturday (including the 11am game) and part of the day Sunday with the staff and team. Nebraska was thought to be out of it with Walker so his announcement made quite the waves. He's overshadowed by some of the nations top 5-star DL in that region and so hasn't been recruited nearly as hard by the big schools as he would have if he had been a senior last year or the next. Va Tech and North Carolina are the major hurdles here but getting him on campus is HUGE.

Josh Frazier - Word is also out that consensus high 4-star recruit Josh Frazier intends on visting Nebraska. He's a talented DT from Arkansas. Frazier has an SEC flavor and hasn't said exactly which game he plans to make it up for but has said he wants to make it up for one. I for one wouldn't get my hopes up unless/until he actually schedules the visit officially.