• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rebuild... but you have to identify.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are the "core" players on this team?

How many of them are there?

Are there too many or too few of these core players?

Do you believe in the direction that they going?

What's right or wrong about this direction?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the team has hung their future for a superbowl on carson wince . they better draft better than last year or they are done

i think the team is acting desperate, trying to shortcut , not valuing draft picks , and is bleeding a lot of depth

how many players do we have to develop and then let go ? why dont they want to be here

most every BS hater on this board said BS was money grubbing yet he took less money then he was making here and he went to a supposedly lesser team . what does it say about the organization ? we let trent go , what did we get from the picks ? 2 guys that are borderline HOF ers at the very least

we have to have an injury free year just to compete with a 3rd place schedule

until snyder gets the boot then this team is junk and not worthy of my passion

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For as much as we complain about spending during the Deion, Haynesworth days, a much more conservative approach after that time, and how this current group is handling the organization, I must admit that in every instance they did the right thing, but failed to recognize that no matter how perfectly you've built the car, it's not starting without a key. That key, QB, seemingly has not been a focal point for this franchise since Sonny Jurgensen was a young pup strolling the sidelines.

Think about that for a second... creating a passing team in a league that demands and has altered the rules of the game in favor of the same, somehow hasn't been the driving force behind every move made by this franchise. Now some will point to their SB years and ask "what about Theesman, Williams, and Rypien?" Well, of course, they passed the ball, but the impetus of those teams was a stout defense and the run game featuring dominance on the offensive line. Things have changed since then and it's past time for this Washington franchise to get on board with that change.

So, in the NFL today, it comes down to cost and/or luck.

There are those among us that hold to the notion that there are costs that exceeds what should be paid for such a star player, alternatively, there are others who insist upon drafting a player until we find one that meets the requirement and still others who say damn the cost, go get the player. The problem with each of these methods is that all are terribly flawed by the historical nature of the franchise. So, what's the answer? Give a few, more seconds and I'll provide it.

Since 1999 Washington has had a combined W/L record of 156-212-1 averaging about 7-9 per season. This sort of record, considering their finishes has given them an average drafting spot at 10. This all matters because despite all coaching changes, hope and prayers this is who they are as a team and a franchise. It's irrefutable and lies at the root of their inability to become real players in the league. In all of that time (1999 -2022) they have only once made a move to put themselves in a position to get that guy and for various reasons, most of their own doing, that failed. (Fuck Kirk Cousins references here, he doesn't qualify as a "that guy" type) So why no further efforts to get the linchpin vital to pulling themselves out of their decades-long futility?

Risk aversion sums up every method mentioned in my third paragraph. Fear of paying too much, waiting until you get lucky by drafting one until you get him are both forms of risk aversion. One is based on fear, the other on hope. The third? is also based on fear and an unwillingness to do such a thing. The answer to Washington's situation doesn't lie in either cost or luck but a combination of both.

Luck has been defined as what happens "when preparation meets opportunity,” and as such requires this franchise to do what's necessary to pull the trigger when an opportunity presents itself. If that means moving up in a QB heavy draft, they must do that, alternatively, if it also means seizing the opportunity to pay the cost of a once-in-a-lifetime player then they must do whatever it takes to make their own "luck!" Unfortunately, I don't believe that Washington the organization sees itself in a historical light and as such doesn't have the necessary tools to make such a sobering evaluation or the change in operational wherewithal to become real players in a business defined by its success.

Last edited:

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with your write up btw.

IMO - core - Mclaurin, Roullier, Young, Gibson, L.Thomas, Allen, Holcomb, Kurl, Fuller, Leno Jr.

Too few

The players are showing elite potential, the franchise and coaching aren't

As you mentioned, there's no key to start the car. Without question QB is difficult to evaluate and find, but it appears this organization is focused simply on making the playoffs, doing just enough to keep loyal fans interested. As i look at team updates, this Wince move came at the price of losing quality depth and starters.
IMO the franchise continues to play checkers and not chess, never thinking several moves ahead. Fortunately, the other teams in our division appear to be just as stupid

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys have to want to come here . That is the issue

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most free agents die here, looks like the commanders( don't deserve to be called skins anymore) only hope is to start drafting on a elite level.
I'm expecting a 1 and done season, they make the playoffs this year, it will calm down all the bitter fans, they will claim a new day is upon us. The following year, something false will come up on Rivera, he will be fired and the next dummy will be installed

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with your write up btw.

IMO - core - Mclaurin, Roullier, Young, Gibson, L.Thomas, Allen, Holcomb, Kurl, Fuller, Leno Jr.

Too few

The players are showing elite potential, the franchise and coaching aren't

As you mentioned, there's no key to start the car. Without question QB is difficult to evaluate and find, but it appears this organization is focused simply on making the playoffs, doing just enough to keep loyal fans interested. As i look at team updates, this Wince move came at the price of losing quality depth and starters.
IMO the franchise continues to play checkers and not chess, never thinking several moves ahead. Fortunately, the other teams in our division appear to be just as stupid
Agreed... too few "core players" there must be some sort of equal balance on both sides of the ball.

Your assessment of the organization is spot-on and needs to change. The funny thing about this division is every team in it is in a position to say about the others..."Whew!!, at least we aren't them!!"

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed... too few "core players" there must be some sort of equal balance on both sides of the ball.

Your assessment of the organization is spot-on and needs to change. The funny thing about this division is every team in it is in a position to say about the others..."Whew!!, at least we aren't them!!"
Payne and sweat ought to be core guys

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Payne and sweat ought to be core guys

I passed on Payne, hoped he be moved an Ironman would come in.....but good ol commanders cutting talent.
Sweat is in boom or bust territory to me -- although personal tragedy may have greatly affected his play

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are core players can't win 8 to 9 games throw them out so you can keep opening doors so what if we lose iron man or flowers or settle. Replace them with X,y,z it's not like they where Mega stars .. like I been saying for years stop keeping players keep it rolling keep doors open ironman and settles had there time move on .. 7-9 with Kerrigan 7-9 without Kerrigan that's all the proof you need.. yes I love what they doing.. the right way is always involving with personal .. rolling the dice and we could get better guys then ironman and Settle ,Flowers but if you keep them how can they improve they peeked move on

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are core players can't win 8 to 9 games throw them out so you can keep opening doors so what if we lose iron man or flowers or settle. Replace them with X,y,z it's not like they where Mega stars .. like I been saying for years stop keeping players keep it rolling keep doors open ironman and settles had there time move on .. 7-9 with Kerrigan 7-9 without Kerrigan that's all the proof you need.. yes I love what they doing.. the right way is always involving with personal .. rolling the dice and we could get better guys then ironman and Settle ,Flowers but if you keep them how can they improve they peeked move on

Respectfully, are you sure you want "throw out" your core players?
Because no one in this thread said ironman, flowers and settle were those types.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flowers is not core iron man and Settle was core we drafted them and they played for years