• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Really stupid fishing question

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanna get into fishing more.........

But im having a hard time learning things.

Like what bait to use, how deep to let the bait drop........bobber vs no bobber......lure jig etc

how in the heck do you learn this stuff.........anyone know some resources

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Concerning bait...Take a breath of fresh air and look around at your surroundings...what flying insects do you notice? Browse around the shoreline and over-turn branches and other submersible items...pick up any larvae and then make a mental note when selecting a jig, fly or other natural bait.

Long to short...take your time formulating a game plan based on your surroundings BEFORE your haphazardly toss your line in the water with just a worm/hook on it. Be organized with your baits, weights, leader sizes or whatever.

just sayin...

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like what bait to use, how deep to let the bait drop........bobber vs no bobber......lure jig etc

best to ask the locals and state exactly what you are fishing for. Every place is different. There are tons of fisherman out there who I am certain would be glad to be of help. Find a fishing partner who has fished and learn from them. You might have to buy the bait or the gas or the beer but it's better than going out on your own. Probably enjoy it more with a friend anyway. Once you learn the tricks you may want to go alone but finding a local would be your best bet.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

best to ask the locals and state exactly what you are fishing for. Every place is different. There are tons of fisherman out there who I am certain would be glad to be of help. Find a fishing partner who has fished and learn from them. You might have to buy the bait or the gas or the beer but it's better than going out on your own. Probably enjoy it more with a friend anyway. Once you learn the tricks you may want to go alone but finding a local would be your best

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
guess thats a start, i dunno, theres a public lake 30 min away
-------
IF you're trout fishing, hellgrammites are great bait. Avoid their pincers, but trout go batshit over them.,

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont care if its bluegill, i just want a fish lol

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

visit the DNR site for your state. lets you know what's what where when and how much it'll cost you to fish without a license. fer instance, here's Michigan's: DNR - Fishing Licenses, Seasons, Regulations

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have you ever fished? Can you accurately cast a baitcasting reel?...a spinfishing reel?
Do you know the difference? Do understand line test? Can you tie knots?

You say that your destination is a lake so will you be fishing from shore or in a boat? What boat...like a canoe or a trolling rig? What's in the lake for fish? Sunfish, pickerel, perch and bass will be in other areas than trout and salmon. "Bait" is a wide term. It can mean live bait like a nightcrawler, hellgrammite as mentioned, leeches or minnow or it can mean many other types of lures.

Well that's a start. You'll pretty much have to be able to answer that basic minimum of info if you want to be successful. Then there's a ton to be said about how to fish each bait and how to set a hook and land a fish too. The question how do I fish? is just a big one to answer. If you have specific questions, ask.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's a start. You'll pretty much have to be able to answer that basic minimum of info if you want to be successful. Then there's a ton to be said about how to fish each bait and how to set a hook and land a fish too. The question how do I fish? is just a big one to answer. If you have specific questions, ask.

I have fished,
I know spinfishing reels, not baitcasting....
I do not know the line test
I can tie knots...
I would fish from shore
Fish in the lake are bass, trout, sunfish, bluegill, carp

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have fished,
I know spinfishing reels, not baitcasting....

Use a spinfishing rig.

I do not know the line test

I was referring to breaking strength for mono filament line. 4Lb - 6Lb is great for panfish, perch and trout leaders, while you'll go to 8Lb or maybe 10Lb for bass, pickerel and walleye. If you're after pike 12Lb does the trick.

I can tie knots...

Simple clinch knot works to attach swivels, hooks and lures. Blood knot is great for joining lines.

I would fish from shore

Shore is not all equal on a public access lake. Likely, the places that you can reach are the places everyone else can reach too. It's very limiting to try to fish a lake without a boat. You also spook fish holding near the edge so try to fish where it's a bit deeper off the bank. You'll spook fish holding in the shallows before you get off a cast.

Fish in the lake are bass, trout, sunfish, bluegill, carp

In other threads and places I've put a plug in for this miniature crawfish lure. Notice the way it's hooked through by the jighead.

TS-Group-Web.jpg

They come with a light jighead to hook them so they swim along backwards of course. Use 4Lb test and let it sink down near the bottom. Then just make a twitching retrieve with the jig down near the bottom like a crawfish just chased from it's hiding rock. BAM! Like a boss you're gonna at least catch some bluegills. Seriously order yourself some. The fact that probably nobody's been tossing them will be a plus.

Go here and buy a few packs and go catch fish.

Trout Slayer 6 pc. Pack - Natural - $2.29 : Trout Magnet Online Store, Trout Magnet Fishing Lure

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem, good luck.

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thank you!
Get you some night crawlers a bobber and a 12 pack. Find a big tree that has shade over the water, lounge under said tree. Throw out a worm and crack a beer and wait for the fishy to eat your worm.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lesson one: It's a cork. A bobber is one of those British cops or a kid trying to grab an apple out of a tub of water with his mouth.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get you some night crawlers a bobber and a 12 pack. Find a big tree that has shade over the water, lounge under said tree. Throw out a worm and crack a beer and wait for the fishy to eat your worm.

Well then there's that! Lol. Minnows are pretty effective too but more of a hassle to transport and keep alive.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
guess thats a start, i dunno, theres a public lake 30 min away
Stick to live baits... Don't get too crazy. Especially for public lakes/ponds. Simple nightcrawlers & grubs will do the trick almost every time. It really just depends on the fish you are goin for. Also if you are boat fishing or not.

Fishing on rivers/reservoirs/etc involves more tackle.

This resource ought to help for reports on what's hot en sech:
Fish Pittsburgh | For Fishermen, By Fishermen

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lesson one: It's a cork. A bobber is one of those British cops or a kid trying to grab an apple out of a tub of water with his mouth.

You don't say? I've only heard "bobber" in WI as a kid and FL ever since. Of course, it's been so long since I've used one the vernacular may have changed.