• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Really Enjoyed Reading Hobson's Article

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just wish the Reds got the right formula to do what the Bengals did, but I don't see t hat happening with such varied funds to work with from team to team, and the fact you don't get a QB in MLB to control and manage it all. Basically the starting pitcher is your QB I guess, but you have 5 of those and then you still lose your QB at some point during the game for the bullpen. Just not comparable. The Reds have a great young nucleus but they need more and time is not on their side with the way they don't ante up for the stars, but keep trading them off for more unknown/hopeful young talent to stay competitive.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Reds organization is heading for even darker times. The romance around Cincinnati baseball has slowly been dying. There is no more Marty and Joe on the radio... Ballgames aren't cheap like they were when many of us were growing up. And the Bengals are hitting levels they haven't hit since the 80s. I just can't imagine many fans shelling out much money to attend many games or buy many jerseys. The face of the franchise has been Joey Votto for over a decade. He's a good ball player and a good guy, but they really need a new superstar or two to rally around.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said this on another board - but there is a stark connection between Brown and the Bengals of the 90's and the Castillini's of the current Reds organization.

Both had/have owners that refused to hire the right guys and then get out of the way and let them do their jobs. Owners who are too involved rarely have the kind of staying power/winning that top franchises have - without the aid of a generational player (NE - Brady). They also have finally realized that they have to spend money and WIN FIRST to get more out of their organization (be it higher ticket prices, better merchandising revenue, etc). You can't bemoan not making money while putting a crap product on the field. You have to win first, then the rest follows.

Bengals have been better because Mike hasn't done a ton of the day to day for years. Katie and Troy take care of that, and the addition of their daughter (IMO) has finally spurred the kind of move into the current era of spending needed to compete at a high level. The more you let good GM's, scouts, staff, coaches do their job - the more successful you are going to be (as long as you make good hires).

Reds were decent under Jocketty and then Williams as they followed the STL/TB pattern. Bob was/is way too involved in keeping his favorite players around too long, getting too little in return, refusing to allow good GM's to continue to do their job - which is why both guys left the Reds organization.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even Katie and Troy aren't that football savvy, they basically just have to manage it as a business.

we're spending now, but eventually that will stop. we came so close to the superbowl we can't give up now, but I guarantee you if Burrow gets hurt and shit starts to suck there will be a firesale like you've never seen before to make up for it.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even Katie and Troy aren't that football savvy, they basically just have to manage it as a business.

we're spending now, but eventually that will stop. we came so close to the superbowl we can't give up now, but I guarantee you if Burrow gets hurt and shit starts to suck there will be a firesale like you've never seen before to make up for it.
I think there is a huge difference between a team with a lot of young talent and a legit franchise QB, versus a team occupying all the cap but not performing or having any legit chance of competing because you don't have a franchise QB. I don't think you will see a fire sale until we lose Burrow or we have to make room for him and Chase. I can see a bit of a "fire sale" at that point so we can assure we have the most important pieces of the puzzle.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the reds are a mess. poorly run, and with a great ballpark. the ballpark experience is spoiled by the team/game. Ask Castellanos. A star, a STAR god dammit. what a mess.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a huge difference between a team with a lot of young talent and a legit franchise QB, versus a team occupying all the cap but not performing or having any legit chance of competing because you don't have a franchise QB. I don't think you will see a fire sale until we lose Burrow or we have to make room for him and Chase. I can see a bit of a "fire sale" at that point so we can assure we have the most important pieces of the puzzle.
yea, everything pretty much hinges on burrow for us now.

it's a QB driven league, and there's nothing anyone can really do about that, except maybe change the rules.