• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Real talk. Is Trevor Lawrence the best true freshman QB ever?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How South Carolina was able to put up 35 and how Jake Bentley looked like Peyton Manning in his prime against Clemson this year is one of the biggest headscratchers of the year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that last statement. That Clemson offense went to an entirely different level when Lawrence took over. Bryant simply isn't capable of making a lot of the throws Lawrence did.

Remember at the beginning of the year, the first few weeks we heard a lot of "Clemson's ranking doesn't match their performance." They've been straight up destroying everyone since he took over with the exception of Syracuse when he was hurt most of the game.

Lawrence is obviously a better QB than Bryant, and the score would have been closer, but with the way Clemson was playing and all that I think they still would have pulled it out.

In my mind, Clemson played like Alabama last night.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have 55,000 posts. Obviously, in this thread if your answer is no you need to say who then. You didn’t have an answer but you still gotta chime in. Chime out sometimes.

You have 504.

Post less.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't do that shit. I'm just saying I didn't see anything overly special in what he did last night to warrant saying he is better than all others who have played(never mind that we are looking at a limited pool to start with).

It's not like Clemson put the game on his shoulders or anything like that. They were just better all around, and he is a top college QB who did his job.

:noidea:

All those flavors and you chose to be bitter. lol. With everything that was on his shoulders he came through like no one before (true freshman) and looked pretty dam good.. Last season you gushed over Tua Turndaballova but this, last night you poo poo. LOL
The title is asking a question but you come in here saying "I don't do that" lol. They why post at all?

Last edited:

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a good 1 for sure, will be interesting to see if he could make it in the NFL when/if he gets drafted.

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamelle Holieway still the only true freshman to start and end the season and win a national title.

jamelle_holieway.jpg_2c4105a00a969a6b0bef4ede8d04e76f

Holieway didn't start until Troy Aikman broke his leg

drbuck10

Viva La Revolucion
Hoopla Cash
$ 877.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't recall seeing a QB as a freshman play and immediately think, "this kid's a top 3 pick". Some of the best pocket presence I've seen from ANY QB this year(regardless of age), and a cannon for an arm. Crazy to think he still has to play for free for 2 more years because he'd probably be a top 10 pick NOW if he were to declare.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't think of any better off the top of my head, but I'm younger than most of you. Any of you old timers have anyone?

The dude looks better than half of the NFL QBs right now. Pretty jelly of Clemson TBH.

Maurice Clarrett was pretty darn good.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All those flavors and you chose to be bitter. lol. With everything that was on his shoulders he came through like no one before (true freshman) and looked pretty dam good.. Last season you gushed over Tua Turndaballova but this, last night you poo poo. LOL
The title is asking a question but you come in here saying "I don't do that" lol. They why post at all?

Tua isn't even eligible for the discussion as he didn't play as a true freshman other than 1 half, so not sure what the hell you are talking about. There is only 1 QB in recent history who has won the national championship game and that's Lawrence. What Tua did was pretty special, but not the same thing.

I also answered the question of the thread. I didn't name an alternative when asked after that because I don't care about getting into pissing matches about such things, when in the end it amounts to cherry picking. The assertion was made, I answered no because I saw nothing to support the assertion.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tua isn't even eligible for the discussion as he didn't play as a true freshman other than 1 half, so not sure what the hell you are talking about. There is only 1 QB in recent history who has won the national championship game and that's Lawrence. What Tua did was pretty special, but not the same thing.

I also answered the question of the thread. I didn't name an alternative when asked after that because I don't care about getting into pissing matches about such things, when in the end it amounts to cherry picking. The assertion was made, I answered no because I saw nothing to support the assertion.

Well it's kinda a given that if you say he's not the best true freshman QB you've seen then you have seen someone better. Like if someone asked you if this was (work with me , you're eating potato salad) the best Potato salad you've ever had and you're answer was no then you have memory of a better one.
I don't know how simpler I can make it. Just sounds like you're saying no just to be a grumpy old man. lol

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's kinda a given that if you say he's not the best true freshman QB you've seen then you have seen someone better? Like if someone asked you if this was (work with me , you're eating potato salad) the best Potato salad you've ever had and you're answer was no then you have memory of a better one.
I don't know how simpler I can make it. Just sounds like you're saying no just to be a grumpy old man. lol

As I keep saying, what are going to judge it on? Are we only going to look at the QB's in the last few years who made it to the playoffs? Is that going to leave us with only Jalen, Trevor and Fromm? Well if that's the case, then probably Trevor, maybe Fromm.

But is being the best out of 3 QB's really something?

Or do we look at other QB's who maybe played on other teams that weren't so good, had some losses and what not and maybe were better QBs? How about Watson when was a true freshman? He was injuried, but he could have been a better QB, he certainly was by his Jr year, who knows.

My bad that I think the "best true freshman ever" title should come with something that makes him stand apart from the others. I didn't come into this thread trying to assert anyone as the best ever true freshman QB, because I think it's impossible to really judge.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he is IMO. The only other person I can think of with somewhat comparable stats is Philip Rivers. But he was only on an above average NC State team, and he certainly didn't have the physical attributes that Lawrence does.

Until someone can come up with a better answer(not sure it's possible) it's gotta be him.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From was pretty damn good last year too I might add, but he wasn't better than Lawrence IMO.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you just quote your own post? Confirm you didn't get the whole OP question and then agree with yourself?
Lol.

not agreeing with myself agreeing about Lawrence.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jamelle looks a bit like Kyler when he runs. Not much taller either but heavier. Good video @outofyourmind

1. Jamelle Holieway, Oklahoma, 1985. The only true freshman quarterback to win a national championship, Holieway replaced an injured Troy Aikman, a sophomore, who broke his leg in the Sooners' fourth game, a 27-14 loss to Miami. They were ranked third at the time but fell to 10th. With Holieway taking over under the guidance of Barry Switzer, Oklahoma rattled off eight wins in a row to win the national championship. That included a 27-7 win over then-No. 2 Nebraska in November. Ranked third in the AP poll (second in the coaches), the Sooners got a bid to the Orange Bowl against undefeated No. 1 Penn State, and behind Holieway and the Brian Bosworth-led defense, they shut down the Nittany Lions to win 25-10. One of the highlights of the game was a 71-yard touchdown pass from Holieway to Keith Jackson to put the Sooners ahead in the second quarter.