• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RB Rashaad Penny in the 1st

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am absolutely loving people roasting the Seahawks for this pick.

Especially since the rumors are strong regards to the Patriots being the team that called the Hawks to trade for Penny...

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off topic but 101 guys. A rareity this thing happens without game thread attached nice job

Especially since the rumors are strong regards to the Patriots being the team that called the Hawks to trade for Penny...

Maybe we should troll them every game.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And regardless, the critics can't figure out why it is a bad pick. Some critics think the Seahawks should have gone CB or OL which we all know they weren't going to. Other critics think that it was just horrible that they draft Penny rather one of the Georgia guys which I find hilarious as well.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And regardless, the critics can't figure out why it is a bad pick. Some critics think the Seahawks should have gone CB or OL which we all know they weren't going to. Other critics think that it was just horrible that they draft Penny rather one of the Georgia guys which I find hilarious as well.
Well I don’t find not drafting one of the Georgia backs hilarious, because I think both are damn good. However happy with Penny.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I don’t find not drafting one of the Georgia backs hilarious, because I think both are damn good. However happy with Penny.

It's not that either is a bad running back or will be bad pros.

My issue is that it becomes received wisdom that Guice, Chubb, and Michel were all CLEARLY superior running back options regardless of situation. That's what I find hilarious. Maybe one of them will be a monster. Maybe Penny will be a bust. But the notion that Penny was a horrible pick for the Hawks is based on opinion masquerading as fact.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My issue is that it becomes received wisdom that Guice, Chubb, and Michel were all CLEARLY superior running back options regardless of situation. That's what I find hilarious. Maybe one of them will be a monster. Maybe Penny will be a bust. But the notion that Penny was a horrible pick for the Hawks is based on opinion masquerading as fact.
Got to agree with that.:nod:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And regardless, the critics can't figure out why it is a bad pick.
The best example is Reggie Bush on NFLN. Saturday night he tagged us as one of the draft's biggest losers, then in the very next segment he picked Penny as his ROY candidate. It makes no sense.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best example is Reggie Bush on NFLN. Saturday night he tagged us as one of the draft's biggest losers, then in the very next segment he picked Penny as his ROY candidate. It makes no sense.

Honestly this is why there are very few national level reporters that I take seriously. They spend very little time actually looking at each team and their specific needs and instead focus on the received wisdom about the team.

The Seahawks line was bad last year. Thus they should dedicate high draft picks to the OL. We will ignore that they lost their starting LT in spring training. We will ignore that they brought in a top 10ish LT in the middle of the year. We will ignore that they brought in a new OL coach. We will ignore that they had a rookie and 2nd year player on the OL last year. None of that matters.

The Seahawks lost Richard Sherman so they must draft a CB early. We will ignore that Pete Carroll is one of the best judges of secondary ability in the NFL and that the highest he has ever drafted a corner was last year in the 3rd round when he drafted one of the best corners in the draft. We will ignore that he drafted Sherman in the 5th and Byron Maxwell in the 6th.

And they do this with just about every team not named the Dallas Cowboys or New England Patriots. I don't really fault them per se. There is a lot of information out there and they are no incentivized to provide real analysis. They are told to provide analysis that sounds good.

I'll take guys like Bill Barnwell or Robert Mays or Mike Mayock over most of the big name guys all day and every day.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly this is why there are very few national level reporters that I take seriously. They spend very little time actually looking at each team and their specific needs and instead focus on the received wisdom about the team.

The Seahawks line was bad last year. Thus they should dedicate high draft picks to the OL. We will ignore that they lost their starting LT in spring training. We will ignore that they brought in a top 10ish LT in the middle of the year. We will ignore that they brought in a new OL coach. We will ignore that they had a rookie and 2nd year player on the OL last year. None of that matters.

The Seahawks lost Richard Sherman so they must draft a CB early. We will ignore that Pete Carroll is one of the best judges of secondary ability in the NFL and that the highest he has ever drafted a corner was last year in the 3rd round when he drafted one of the best corners in the draft. We will ignore that he drafted Sherman in the 5th and Byron Maxwell in the 6th.

And they do this with just about every team not named the Dallas Cowboys or New England Patriots. I don't really fault them per se. There is a lot of information out there and they are no incentivized to provide real analysis. They are told to provide analysis that sounds good.

I'll take guys like Bill Barnwell or Robert Mays or Mike Mayock over most of the big name guys all day and every day.
I second all...and yeah, I like Mayock as well.

The other thing on the Penny pick that a get kick out of is how everyone is gushing all over Saquon Barkley. He was the darling RB of a really good class, and it gets amplified by getting drafted by a blue blood team, but I'll be that guy....I am not sold. His stat lines from last year don't blow me away really at all. Only 4 100 yard games, and 2 of those were unimpressive outside of 1 long run. Long runs are awesome and all, but you're not doing that every Sunday in the NFL. In the UW game, he broke off the 92 yarder but outside of that he only had 45 yards on 17 carries. He was pretty much bottled up against power houses Georgia St, Indiana, and Rutgers. Now, he does seem to be a regular contributor in the passing game, but I don't think we are talking about the next Marshall Faulk in that regard or anything. I say he's nothing more than the next Tyrone Wheatley.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sheer number of national draft experts who kept mocking a CB to Seattle in the 1st round was mind boggling. I know they can't get down to the nitty gritty for 32 teams, but that's an easy hurdle to clear. Pete's expertise is the secondary, he believes he can coach up mid round picks there.

I didn't love the Penny pick, from an economic point of view a 1st round pick on a RB is a poor use of resources. But the more I read about the player I like what I'm seeing.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sheer number of national draft experts who kept mocking a CB to Seattle in the 1st round was mind boggling. I know they can't get down to the nitty gritty for 32 teams, but that's an easy hurdle to clear. Pete's expertise is the secondary, he believes he can coach up mid round picks there.

I didn't love the Penny pick, from an economic point of view a 1st round pick on a RB is a poor use of resources. But the more I read about the player I like what I'm seeing.

I think that pundits and analysts are overstating the "1st round RBs are a bad value" because of Hunt and Kamara.

RBs are a product of a team's blocking certainly so you don't want to ignore that and spend a lot of resources on RBs but, at the same time, last year showed what happens when you don't have good running backs. Eddie Lacy was embarrassing. Thomas Rawls barely looked like the same player he was prior to his injury. Mike Davis is a 3rd down back we tried to force into a feature back out of necessity. Or look at the Packers who are constantly trying to find a makeshift back.

Now thinking about back when we got Shaun Alexander and how much of an explosive force he was, even when Ricky was still the feature back. He was a game changer because he turned a small hole into a 60 yard TD.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This review of our draft by USA Today is amusing:

Let's begin by saying that GM John Schneider and coach Pete Carroll have built a powerhouse while making draft "graders" look silly. Yet still ... RB Rashaad Penny seemed like a first-round reach on merit and especially because Seattle already had several backs on the roster. No qualms with USC DE Rasheem Green in Round 3, but the decision to virtually ignore the corner and offensive line (again) crops is puzzling. (Seattle did take OT Jamarco Jones in Round 5 but after taking a punter 19 picks earlier.)

So what did we need to do to get credit for not ignoring the OL? The first pick must have been OL? Never mind trading a 2nd for Duane Brown, using a 2nd on Pocic, signing Fluker, and using a 4th on the best blocking TE, and signing Ed Dickson. Had we used the #27 on a lineman, I can see it now: "Well, it's smart that Seattle FINALLY did something to address their poor line, but now who is going to run behind it? This was a deep running back class, and Seattle decided they didnt need to upgrade a position group that was last in the NFL in TDs a year ago. I guess they just don't ever want to replace Marshawn Lynch."

And then the CB thing....this lazy writer could have quickly made a couple clicks to find out the plan is to put Flowers at corner. But that probably wouldnt have counted either since it wasnt the first pick.

They graded us out as a D, along with the Saints at the bottom of the league. They got dinged for trading up in the 1st but not drafting Lamar Jackson with it, which is funny to me because I don't think he has much of a future as an NFL QB.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's begin by saying that GM John Schneider and coach Pete Carroll have built a powerhouse while making draft "graders" look silly. Yet still ... RB Rashaad Penny seemed like a first-round reach on merit and especially because Seattle already had several backs on the roster. No qualms with USC DE Rasheem Green in Round 3, but the decision to virtually ignore the corner and offensive line (again) crops is puzzling. (Seattle did take OT Jamarco Jones in Round 5 but after taking a punter 19 picks earlier.)

I thought that was funny... Almost every team still has, "several backs" on their roster... It's not like these backs are starting material... IMO, we have a bunch of journeyman type of backs on our roster... Goodie, that equals, "several backs"..

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that was funny... Almost every team still has, "several backs" on their roster... It's not like these backs are starting material... IMO, we have a bunch of journeyman type of backs on our roster... Goodie, that equals, "several backs"..

Yeah, that was the first thing I saw. What a load of crap if they're thinking that the backs on our roster constitute something the Seahawks should have confidence in going into the season.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to feel like some of the earlier drafts, where so called draft gurus are dissing the Seahawks draft and got embarrassed by being so so wrong.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When Penny has a better career than Guice Chubb and Michel we'll hear the critics going back on what they said at the draft and start praising our front office. My response to them will be "don't judge a book by it's cover."