• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ravens better than last year?

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree with Torrey Smith.

First off, who do they have at WR? Torrey Smith is the only proven WR. Jacoby Jones sucks, hes just a 4th option deep threat guy.

Defensively they lost Ed Reed and Ray Lewis, how do you replace them? They were leaders of men and playmakers. No one they put there is going to be able to be them.

Elvis Dumerville is a good pass rusher, was a good add by them. Idk if Terrell Suggs will ever be the same player again.

I don't see a repeat here. WOuldn't be surprised if they missed the playoffs.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Repeats are hard to do but, to address you comments. WR is an issue for the Ravens so some of the younger guys are going to have to step up. Reed and Lewis were big loses and there is no way to replace their leadership but as far as productivity is concerned i think the younger guys we have can step in and take be just as productive. It's going to be an interesting year for the Ravens, and i'm thinking a 10-6 season and anything less would be a disappointment.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First off, who do they have at WR? Torrey Smith is the only proven WR. Jacoby Jones sucks, hes just a 4th option deep threat guy.

Defensively they lost Ed Reed and Ray Lewis, how do you replace them? They were leaders of men and playmakers. No one they put there is going to be able to be them.

Elvis Dumerville is a good pass rusher, was a good add by them. Idk if Terrell Suggs will ever be the same player again.

I don't see a repeat here. WOuldn't be surprised if they missed the playoffs.

Defensively, they will not be the same team this year and from recent history, seems that teams who win the super bowl fluke the following year in the regular season or lay an egg in the post seasons.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their defense just got younger, I think they will be fine.

On O though I do not see them doing great.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9-7 to 10-6 at best is what I see. Their schedule isn't a nightmare which helps, but it's no walk in the park either. They lost a lot of veteran leadership and role players in the offseason.

But it wasn't like they sat back and stared at the holes that were being created. They did pretty good in FA and the draft. Flacco situation is finalized so it's one big less thing to worry about. But it's not the same team that won that SB. The only real experience they got at defacto WR is Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones. They could of helped themselves there in the draft more, but went heavy on D AND Oline. Think that could come back to hurt them in 2013 unless someone that can really come and contribute gets released during the pre-season. Sketchy odds on that. The available FAs are all relics.

Terminating Vonta Leach's contract was a risky move. He may sign somewhere else if they thought it was likely he would come back for less $.

They are not at good as last years roster, but they still got some nice pieces there. Elam landing to them in the draft couldn't of been scripted better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the deepest, most talented (from top to bottom) roster the Ravens have ever had going into a season.

12-4 and another deep run in the playoffs.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Then I have to disagree with you. I've been saying this for a while now. Getting Webb back from injury & signing Dumervil & Michael Huff more than makes up for losing Ray & Ed.

Losing Boldin hurts :yahoo:, but they also had a good draft. I think the Ravens are the best team in the AFC, and I don't think it's all that close.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, they won the SB so it's going to be harder than better than that.

Second, they almost have to take a step back. They won a lot of games down the stretch by miracles...the 4th and 29 against San Diego (that really shouldn't have been that much of a problem) and the playoff game vs. the Broncos with 70 yard bomb.

Luck will get you so far - and when it stops you're in trouble.

Third, they lost so many guys on one side of the ball. You just don't lose that many starters and pick up where you left off.

Fourth, they've got a big target on their backs this year - the champ always does.

Fifth - Pittsburgh will bounce back and Cincy is up and coming. At least until Zimmerman leaves the team.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then I have to disagree with you. I've been saying this for a while now. Getting Webb back from injury & signing Dumervil & Michael Huff more than makes up for losing Ray & Ed.

Losing Boldin hurts :yahoo:, but they also had a good draft. I think the Ravens are the best team in the AFC, and I don't think it's all that close.

They lost more than that though. They lost both starting safeties and the two they brought in are two unknowns somewhat of how they are going to do in this defense. Huff has underperformed most of his career and there is no telling how good or bad a rookie will play.

They have two new starting ILB's with one of them returning from a major neck injury and the other again being a rookie who also is coming back from surgery not too long ago.

The DL has 2 new starters as well. Both are decent players but I don't think anybody would call them all-stars either. You are right getting Webb back will be helpful but then again how he returns from injury is a question mark. His injury isn't quite the career ender it was 10 years ago but different players recover differently (they are not all AP).

On offense the Ravens are putting a lot of trust in a LT that has been known for being lazy and injury prone to protect their new $100 million investment in Flacco. McKinnie looked great in the playoffs but will he do it for a full year not just a few games. It usually isn't a good sign when you have to put Weight Clauses into a contract to try and motivate a player.

All in all the Ravens look like a pretty good team but there are a lot of question marks and a lot of new faces that have to learn the offense and defense and gel as a team. My guess is there will be some bumps in the road especially early on.

Also there are at least a few AFC rosters that I would say could compete with what the Ravens have at this time. The Broncos, Texans, Bengals, Steelers, and Patriots could all make arguments that they have just as strong if not stronger rosters than the Ravens at this time.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year they won't be as good IMO, but they made every move right. They are positioned to continue to be successful for years to come.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The DL has 2 new starters as well. Both are decent players but I don't think anybody would call them all-stars either.

Arthur Jones isn't new; and he was playing great last year. Chris Canty is an very good DE as well. They have plenty on the DL.

You're right that the offense has some big questions, but the defense is looking like by far the best unit in the AFC. I'll take the best defense + a good running game over... say... the Bengals, Broncos, Steelers, etc.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arthur Jones isn't new; and he was playing great last year. Chris Canty is an very good DE as well. They have plenty on the DL.

You're right that the offense has some big questions, but the defense is looking like by far the best unit in the AFC. I'll take the best defense + a good running game over... say... the Bengals, Broncos, Steelers, etc.

The best unit in the AFC by far? I definitely wouldn't go that far. The middle of the defense with 2 new ILB's and 2 new safeties definitely leaves that defense with some big question marks. Throw in whether Suggs is fully healthy or not and same for Ngata and Webb. Their 3 best players on defense are all coming off injury seasons. Right now with the DL of the Bengals being what I would consider the best DL unit in the NFL I would take that defense over the Ravens anyday of the week and twice on Sunday. The Broncos unit finished top 3 in the NFL last season (yes they lost Dumervil but it isn't like they did nothing to replace him on the line plus adding to the Secondary). Houston is another unit that with Cushing returning looks like a loaded unit. Pittsburgh still finished 1st in total defense last year and added some new pieces to play with. Miami is another unit that looks pretty good as well and finished top 10 in scoring defense.

The Ravens are good but they have a ton of question marks heading into this season compared to some in the past. They have a lot of players with some good potential but whether those players actually play to that potential remains to be seen.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The best unit in the AFC by far? I definitely wouldn't go that far. The middle of the defense with 2 new ILB's and 2 new safeties definitely leaves that defense with some big question marks. Throw in whether Suggs is fully healthy or not and same for Ngata and Webb.

Health is a factor for all teams. But assuming they're healthy, I think the Ravens have the best D by far. And Ngata & Suggs aren't "coming off injuries." They played in the Super Bowl, plus they had the entire offseason. Webb will have had over a year to recover by week 1 (I think).

Right now with the DL of the Bengals being what I would consider the best DL unit in the NFL I would take that defense over the Ravens anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.[/QUOTE]

The Bengals have a good D. No question. I'd give the Ravens the edge though.
Plus I have no faith in Andy Dalton.

The Broncos unit finished top 3 in the NFL last season (yes they lost Dumervil but it isn't like they did nothing to replace him on the line plus adding to the Secondary).

They didn't do enough to replace him though IMO. They have one elite pass rusher, but that's it. I really liked the DRC signing, but overall the defense has far less talent than the Ravens' D. They're still great on offense, but overall I'll go with the Ravens. JMHO. I could be wrong; we'll see...

You're right that Houston could do some damage (especially with Deandre Hopkins), but I have no faith in Matt Schaub.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way

These are DIV rivals so my post may appear to me in the hater mode. But I have a lot of respect for the Ravens and particularly Ozzie Newsome.

That said...No...they won't be better.

Why? Not the most talented Ravens team I've seen last year. They won a lot of very close games that could've gone either way. I don't think a team can lose that many key contributors in one season and just pick up where they left off. Granted, Lewis was not a big time playmaker anymore, but he was the heart and soul of the team imo.

Yes, they filled the holes with some solid names, but this is football...hard to build great team chemistry in a training camp and 4 preseason games and be ready to be the hunted for 16 games.

I think they will be competitive as normal, but will come up on the short side on the road

RonBorges

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ravens D is better than last year and if you have to lose players, lose WR's..

My vote. Ravens back to Superbowl

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they lost ray lewis the heart and soul of the team, the guy that gets everyone jacked up and makes everyone around them play nasty and aggressive. their defense will fall off the map, just like the Pats defense did when they lost Rodney Harrison. they were two different teams with him on and off the field. the ravens wont play with that aggressive edge.