• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rate the position groups you value most in football, in order

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d still rather have a great QB then a great OLine. By the way... did you see Fletcher Cox abuse Decastro Thursday night?
Me too, but it's not as cut and dry as you were portraying by picking only one guy.

No, I didn't. I don't really watch preseason games my team isn't in other than game #3 and even that not so much now that every game seems to be on. How many series did they play against each other?

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there is 5 spots on the starting oline, so yes. It does have to do with 5 players vs. 1.

& I have been preaching win the trenches since long before ever having a conversation with you.

Everybody knows that. That’s why I’m high on Dallas cause they have the best OLine in football and a pretty darn good DLine... could be excellent if they ever got a stud DT. OLine and DLine are 2nd and 3rd but this is a QB league. If you find a star you’re set for atleast a dozen years... sometimes more.
The team with an average OLine and great QB will always be better then the team with a great OLine and average QB. Look at the Browns. Through all these miserable years they had a good OLine with a star in Bitoni and hall of famer too.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too, but it's not as cut and dry as you were portraying by picking only one guy.

No, I didn't. I don't really watch preseason games my team isn't in other than game #3 and even that not so much now that every game seems to be on. How many series did they play against each other?

2 series for Cox vs Castro. Preseason football is a bore. Every writer is raving over our new TE to the point one writer said before the game, “I hate to say this about any player in preseason but Dallas Goedert looks like a star” and that night he had 5 catches for 64 yards and a TD in a half. Looking good. I heard LVE struggled but how did the new Olineman look? Any news?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody knows that. That’s why I’m high on Dallas cause they have the best OLine in football and a pretty darn good DLine... could be excellent if they ever got a stud DT. OLine and DLine are 2nd and 3rd but this is a QB league. If you find a star you’re set for atleast a dozen years... sometimes more.
The team with an average OLine and great QB will always be better then the team with a great OLine and average QB. Look at the Browns. Through all these miserable years they had a good OLine with a star in Bitoni and hall of famer too.
Not always. Foles is average and with the best OL in the league last year the Eagles won a SB against a great QB and an average OL

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 series for Cox vs Castro. Preseason football is a bore. Every writer is raving over our new TE to the point one writer said before the game, “I hate to say this about any player in preseason but Dallas Goedert looks like a star” and that night he had 5 catches for 64 yards and a TD in a half. Looking good. I heard LVE struggled but how did the new Olineman look? Any news?
He got beat early, but overall did well. Looks like a great pick that will start for years from everything you read, but it's early and playing in between Smith and Frederick when Frederick has Zack Martin on the other side and can shade your way is a pretty sweet spot for any OL.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not always. Foles is average and with the best OL in the league last year the Eagles won a SB against a great QB and an average OL
Win the trenches & you win the Superbowl.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got beat early, but overall did well. Looks like a great pick that will start for years from everything you read, but it's early and playing in between Smith and Frederick when Frederick has Zack Martin on the other side and can shade your way is a pretty sweet spot for any OL.

True that. 25 days til kickoff for us! 28 for Dallas... right around the corner brother! Love football season!
Actually got to get my football package with DIRECTV set up. Can’t pass it up no matter what they charge.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True.

I don’t think we have the best line though. It’s very good but does struggle at times. It’s not physically dominating like the 2016 Cowboy line. Kelce was really strange. 4 year ago I thought he was really good but then the next two he was downright putrid. I think he was rated the 33rd best Center in the league then last year he was All Pro. Huhh??

Also the Brandon Brooks Guard that you didn’t like the signing of turned out to be better then Osmele. He was fantastic last year. He really got much better too.

Last edited:

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quiet, that's a secret, not everyone knows this.

Do you wish you got Bosa instead of Zeek? You’d have 2 dominant lines then. Interesting question cause line play does make your team good.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True.

I don’t think we have the best line though. It’s very good but does struggle at times. It’s not physically dominating like the 2016 Cowboy line. Kelce was really strange. 4 year ago I thought he was really good but then the next two he was downright putrid. I think he was rated the 33rd best Center in the league then last year he was All Pro. Huhh??

Also the Brandon Brooks Guard that you didn’t like the signing of turned out to be better then Osmele. He was fantastic last year. He really got much better too.
I don't necessarily think they will be the best line this year, but I think they were last year and I think in the playoffs they were dominant. Kelce was just fantastic.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you wish you got Bosa instead of Zeek? You’d have 2 dominant lines then. Interesting question cause line play does make your team good.
I wanted Bosa or Ramsey at the time. But now I'm very happy that we ended up with Zeke instead.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. QB - Time and time again, we've seen that a great QB in football can keep a team in the runnings for the playoffs/championships, even on bad teams. Meanwhile, a bad QB can single-handedly hold down otherwise great teams to .500 or even worse levels.

2. Offensive line - a bad O-line can hinder the success of any passing or running attack very quickly to the point where the whole offense sucks. Meanwhile, a great O-line can make average running backs look like beasts and greatly elevate the play of any QB.

3. Defensive line - The anchor of any defense. A lousy pass rush can ruin the best of defenses all on its own, and a D-ine that can stuff the run efficiently effectively eliminates half of an opposing offenses options.

4. Kickers - I'll get a lot of heat for this one. But this position can easily be the difference between winning on a last second FG or putting you in good position if they do kickoffs. There's nothing worse than losing a game because your kicker shanks a chip shot FG or one that was well within the range of average kickers to make.

5. Linebackers - MLB's being the QB's of the defense. A rock solid linebacker group can make up for a lot of deficiencies on a lacking D-line and DB groups. It's much more difficult for DB's to make up for a low-quality LB group.

6. Tight ends - could be switched in importance with wide receivers depending on team needs. But a TE who can both block and catch well is invaluable to any team.

7. Wide receivers - you need at least some quality at these positions to succeed in the passing era of the NFL. However, an elite QB can make these positions much less important. But with a bad QB, you need receivers who can bail them out.

8. Defensive backs - It's easy to pick on bad DB's when they are the weak area of a defense, especially for high level QB's. Their value in run defense support also shouldn't be understated.

9. Punters - their role in field position can be the difference between winning and losing very easily. This also plays a key role in maintaining momentum in a game.

10. Special teams specific players - probably the most underappreciated aspect of the game is guys who are key role players on special teams.

11. Running backs - you simply don't need a great RB to succeed in the NFL these days. Get a good O-line and QB and even below average RB's can do just fine.

12. Fullbacks - same deal as RB's, but to a greater extent. Some teams barely use packages that even require a FB in the modern NFL.

1. QB - Time and time again, we've seen that a great QB in football can keep a team in the runnings for the playoffs/championships, even on bad teams. Meanwhile, a bad QB can single-handedly hold down otherwise great teams to .500 or even worse levels.

2. Offensive line - a bad O-line can hinder the success of any passing or running attack very quickly to the point where the whole offense sucks. Meanwhile, a great O-line can make average running backs look like beasts and greatly elevate the play of any QB.

3. Defensive line - The anchor of any defense. A lousy pass rush can ruin the best of defenses all on its own, and a D-ine that can stuff the run efficiently effectively eliminates half of an opposing offenses options.

4. Kickers - I'll get a lot of heat for this one. But this position can easily be the difference between winning on a last second FG or putting you in good position if they do kickoffs. There's nothing worse than losing a game because your kicker shanks a chip shot FG or one that was well within the range of average kickers to make.

5. Linebackers - MLB's being the QB's of the defense. A rock solid linebacker group can make up for a lot of deficiencies on a lacking D-line and DB groups. It's much more difficult for DB's to make up for a low-quality LB group.

6. Tight ends - could be switched in importance with wide receivers depending on team needs. But a TE who can both block and catch well is invaluable to any team.

7. Wide receivers - you need at least some quality at these positions to succeed in the passing era of the NFL. However, an elite QB can make these positions much less important. But with a bad QB, you need receivers who can bail them out.

8. Defensive backs - It's easy to pick on bad DB's when they are the weak area of a defense, especially for high level QB's. Their value in run defense support also shouldn't be understated.

9. Punters - their role in field position can be the difference between winning and losing very easily. This also plays a key role in maintaining momentum in a game.

10. Special teams specific players - probably the most underappreciated aspect of the game is guys who are key role players on special teams.

11. Running backs - you simply don't need a great RB to succeed in the NFL these days. Get a good O-line and QB and even below average RB's can do just fine.

12. Fullbacks - same deal as RB's, but to a greater extent. Some teams barely use packages that even require a FB in the modern NFL.

Interesting topic...late to the party...huh.

Giving this a bit of thought I would ranked them like this.

1. QB
2. OL
3. EDGE (DE/OLB)
4. CB
5. TE
6. WR
7. S
8. 34ILB, 43OLB
9. MLB
9B. DT
10. RB
11. P/K
11. ST stud
12. FB

I obviously want studs every where, but this is how I would rank them. I rank the kicker considerably lower even though you make good points. I kind of look at the game like this...we know most playoff teams are in the 3800 to 4000+ yd passing year in year out. Generally speaking, if you can keep the opposing teams under 3500 yds passing you stand a pretty good chance of making the playoffs consistently.

So, while balance is every team's objective on OFC, the modern game is about passing the ball. Gotta have a good trigger man and you have to be able to protect him. On the flip side, you must be able to pressure the QB and cover in space.

Targets...with the hitting above the shoulder rules, the middle of the field is the most open part of the field a good TE is essential...imo a great TE is more valuable than a great WR.

RBs have had a resurgence with a handful of top tier players at the position, but they need to be dual threat players to have the most impact. You're not going to run your way to the playoffs year in year out....you need production and balance from the ground game, not really a superstar stud.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with today's trend I'd say its:

Tier 1: QB
Tier 2: LT, RT, Pass Rushers
Tier 3: RB, S
Tier 4: CB, WR, C, G, DT, LB
Tier 5: TE
Tier 6: K
Tier 7: P

Running Back might seem high because they're devalued but they're being used as runners, pass catchers and blockers. We're also seeing Safeties function like hybrid players as well needing to cover TEs, RBs, play centerfield or stop the run.