• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rate the position groups you value most in football, in order

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the logic by saying that secondary players matter a ton and skill players dont matter at all. If your skill positions stink then you can't exploit the other teams secondary players.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
!. Doggy style
2. Reverse cowgirl
3. Spooning

oh, wrong thread.....

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB
OL
DL

Everything else is pretty equal.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) QB
2) OL
3) CB
4) DL
5) S
6) LB
7) WR
8) TE
9) RB
10) K
11) FB

this is the correct order for today's NFL. if you disagree, you're a fucking idiot.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FB shouldn't even be included anymore.
TE is close to merging with WR too.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the logic by saying that secondary players matter a ton and skill players dont matter at all. If your skill positions stink then you can't exploit the other teams secondary players.
I think today's NFL requires solid professional play in the D-backfield than ever before. I also think skill positions is really skill position. Solid QB is absolutely required if the team is going to win. The difference between the best WR/RB and 10th or 15th best WR/RB is much less than QB. Teams can still be dominant with league average wides and backs.

Passing league....rushing the QB still matters, but you also better be able to defend... cause the different sets, formations which spread the field, along with the ball coming out of the QB's hand reel quick requires it to win football games.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think today's NFL requires solid professional play in the D-backfield than ever before. I also think skill positions is really skill position. Solid QB is absolutely required if the team is going to win. The difference between the best WR/RB and 10th or 15th best WR/RB is much less than QB. Teams can still be dominant with league average wides and backs.

Passing league....rushing the QB still matters, but you also better be able to defend... cause the different sets, formations which spread the field, along with the ball coming out of the QB's hand reel quick requires it to win football games.
Teams can be dominant with league average CBs and Safeties, too, as long as they have a good QB.

Patriots and Eagles arguably both had better skill players than secondary players last year

Last edited:

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. QB
2. DL
3. OL
4. DB
5. WR
6. TE
7. RB
8. LB
9. K
10. P
11. PR
12. KR
1,000,000,000. Long snapper
And soon enough the KR will be totally worthless.

I am with this pretty much, except I think having a long snapper might matter more than kick returner now.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams can be dominant with league average CBs and Safeties, too, as long as they have a good QB.

Patriots and Eagles arguably both had better skill players than secondary players last year

That's true, but in the case of the Eagles at least, they had a good DL which masked the mediocre corners pretty much all the way up to the Super Bowl.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes they can but DB's have higher standards today when offenses scheme to put players in space. Bunch of this game now is NBA like, they isolate on the d-back they want to attack with a formation and hope a misplayed tackle results in a 20 plus yard play instead of the 4 to 6 yards.

I'm just commenting on your question as to why the DB position gets more love and now being a more valued position on the field. I'm not sure there is a wrong opinion here. :suds:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they can but DB's have higher standards today when offenses scheme to put players in space. Bunch of this game now is NBA like, they isolate on the d-back they want to attack with a formation and hope a misplayed tackle results in a 20 plus yard play instead of the 4 to 6 yards.

I'm just commenting on your question as to why the DB position gets more love as to now being a more valued position on the field. I'm not sure there is a wrong opinion here. :suds:
Teams definitely do attack DBs. Usually when I break down a game, its one DB getting targeted a lot on the Chiefs (Gaines, Acker, Peters in his rookie year, etc)

The NFL is also mostly a Zone coverage league right now. Chiefs use more man coverage than anyone in the league, IIRC, and you can see how well that works for them.

This is just my opinion but Franchise QBs demolish zone-coverage but against man coverage its the WR that generally needs to win the battle. So the QB is just so ridiculously important right now.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
QB I'd put at number #1. If you have a QB that can get rid of the ball quickly and read defenses paired with an Offensive Coordinator that's a top tier in playcalling and scheme you can get away with being average with the rest of your offense.

I would put DL #2 because the pass rush is vital in taking down top tier QBs plus stuffing the run puts an offense in a bind by making them one dimensional.

When you look at the past teams in the championship they usually have great QB play and/or great defensive line play.

OL #3 because they are the counter to the DL and they influence the entire offense both passing and running.

DB #4 for the reason of if there is a serious weak link to your secondary the offensive coordinator and QB is going to exploit it hard so you want to be solid with everyone on the field.

WR #5 as you just need guys that can beat man and run good routes. Basically the QB and scheme do most of the heavy lifting to get guys open.

TE #6 can be as impactful as the WR but I'll put them as 6 as a group because a blocking TE isn't as impactful as a great receiving TE so overall the entire group isn't as important. Not to mention you typically have at most 2 of them on the field with 3 being rare unlike WR where you can have 3 or 4 out there at a time.

K #7 Can be the difference between losing and winning a game by itself. They get overlooked because you typically just grab them as UDFAs but it's critical to your team.

LB #8 Kinda like TE it's a bit hard to place them because they almost belong with the DL since they all comprise the front 7 and that's basically a unit in itself but you really just need one really good LB to be a good defense whereas the other defensive groups you need to be good top to bottom.

RB #9 Another one hard to rate but the offensive line is more critical in a successful running attack and time and time again we've seen teams win with just having a decent RB group.

P #10 Field position can be a huge factor winning a tight game but you typically want to be good enough on offense to where you're constantly needing to win field position battle.

Returner #11 Again with the field position importance but huge game swinging returns really aren't all that common and most of the time you're fair catching it, letting it roll past you, are gaining 5-10 yards.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB
Everything else

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every good team builds from the inside out but putting QB at 3rd is pretty much on par for you... stupid. So again, you’d rather have a 25 year old Tyron Smith over a 25 year old Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers.
that is just changing the question.
It isnt an O-lineman vs. QB. it is the whole Oline vs. the QB
So in your scenario you should be asking 5 elite Olineman at 25 vs. Tom Brady at 25.

I have seen many Superbowls where the better QB loses the superbowl. Cant think of a superbowl off hand where the team that won the trenches lost the game.

I can completely see the OL being rated #1, but with that said I am not gonna argue with people that say QB #1 or DL. As all three should be in the top three in which ever order as they are all that important. Graded 1 a,b,c if you will. Doesnt mean we think QB isnt important.

There is only a handful of QBs ever, to be able to drag a team to a superbowl when the team isnt to that caliber. manning (colts) was probably the last one to do it. So if you can guarantee to get "that guy" sure put QB at #1, but realistically talking for 32 teams that wont be the case. if your game plan was to land that guy you will most likely miss & then your gameplan is a failure.
I'll be stupid enough to take OL at #1.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is just changing the question.
It isnt an O-lineman vs. QB. it is the whole Oline vs. the QB
So in your scenario you should be asking 5 elite Olineman at 25 vs. Tom Brady at 25.

I have seen many Superbowls where the better QB loses the superbowl. Cant think of a superbowl off hand where the team that won the trenches lost the game.

I can completely see the OL being rated #1, but with that said I am not gonna argue with people that say QB #1 or DL. As all three should be in the top three in which ever order as they are all that important. Graded 1 a,b,c if you will. Doesnt mean we think QB isnt important.

There is only a handful of QBs ever, to be able to drag a team to a superbowl when the team isnt to that caliber. manning (colts) was probably the last one to do it. So if you can guarantee to get "that guy" sure put QB at #1, but realistically talking for 32 teams that wont be the case. if your game plan was to land that guy you will most likely miss & then your gameplan is a failure.
I'll be stupid enough to take OL at #1.

It has nothing to do with 5 the players versus 1. It’s whats the most import and every single person but Manster put QB. It’s just not debatable. Do you ever see teams mortgaging there future and trading 3 first round picks to get a star OLineman? Never happened but it happens all the time for QBs. OLine is never more important then QB but you two want to pretend it is because you have the best OLine in the NFL... and they’ve won a ton of playoff games the last 3-4 years they’ve been dominating... right

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has nothing to do with 5 the players versus 1. It’s whats the most import and every single person but Manster put QB. It’s just not debatable. Do you ever see teams mortgaging there future and trading 3 first round picks to get a star OLineman? Never happened but it happens all the time for QBs. OLine is never more important then QB but you two want to pretend it is because you have the best OLine in the NFL... and they’ve won a ton of playoff games the last 3-4 years they’ve been dominating... right
Well there is 5 spots on the starting oline, so yes. It does have to do with 5 players vs. 1.

& I have been preaching win the trenches since long before ever having a conversation with you.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every good team builds from the inside out but putting QB at 3rd is pretty much on par for you... stupid. So again, you’d rather have a 25 year old Tyron Smith over a 25 year old Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers.
Did he say just LT or entire OL? If you are going to list all time great QBs, maybe he thinks having all 5 of T Smith, Z Martin, T Frederick, David Decastro and Jackie Slater would be more important than just Rodgers or Brady. Sure doesn't seem like a slam dunk if you look at it that way.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's my opinion, and you go ballistic over it. Just like you did over the importance of a CENTER.

I firmly believe a great OL can make a average QB great.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he say just LT or entire OL? If you are going to list all time great QBs, maybe he thinks having all 5 of T Smith, Z Martin, T Frederick, David Decastro and Jackie Slater would be more important than just Rodgers or Brady. Sure doesn't seem like a slam dunk if you look at it that way.

I’d still rather have a great QB then a great OLine. By the way... did you see Fletcher Cox abuse Decastro Thursday night?

Last edited:

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's my opinion, and you go ballistic over it. Just like you did over the importance of a.

I went ballistic? I don’t know what you’re talking about.
Did you see the guy in this thread who made the joke by staying KR, Long snapper, kick holder and Center.
I firmly believe a great QB can make an average team really good like GB.
A great OLine is very important but they can’t make an average QB great... maybe better or good but not great