• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking the impact the Bears’ picks

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson at #1 is correct. He'll battle Tre Roberson to start right away. I would switch Kmet down with Mooney.

Even if you don't love the Mooney pick. He's basically our new Gabriel. Just based on that alone - he's going to have a bigger role than a 1st year TE, IMO.

Evan Engram is really the only TE I can think of recently who contributed in a major way as a rookie.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson at #1 is correct. He'll battle Tre Roberson to start right away. I would switch Kmet down with Mooney.

Even if you don't love the Mooney pick. He's basically our new Gabriel. Just based on that alone - he's going to have a bigger role than a 1st year TE, IMO.

Evan Engram is really the only TE I can think of recently who contributed in a major way as a rookie.

I'm liking Mooney more and more, but while he immediately joins the roster as the fastest WR on the team, he has a lot of receivers ahead of him, at least initially. He'll have to prove himself and prove it quickly in order to move up. And let's remember the biggest knock on him is his tendency to have the dropsies.

My take is Kmet is going to have a bigger role in the offense than most people think. He already comes onto the roster as the fastest TE with catcher's mitts for hands, as well as a good vertical leap to go with that 6'6" frame. He won't be the starter of course, but Nagy should and will undoubtedly come up with a number of packages that specifically involve him. As far as comparables, he's easily the most talented TE we've drafted since Greg Olsen.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Mooney sees the field this year, unless he's good on Special Teams, or there is a rash of injuries at the position.

Johnson and Kmet will see significant time, IMO.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Mooney sees the field this year, unless he's good on Special Teams, or there is a rash of injuries at the position.

Johnson and Kmet will see significant time, IMO.

You're pretty confident in Javon Wims and/or Riley Ridley then, yeah?

I just think we lost our burner and Mooney is the only guy with the tool set to really replace that.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as comparables, he's easily the most talented TE we've drafted since Greg Olsen.

Not trying to go on the offensive TOO hard here. But... I must point out that Olsen is a guy who didn't anything in his rookie year. Despite only having Dez Clark to battle with for targets.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Ridley will start this year.

Wims is a raw specimen. I would definitely find a way to use him in the redzone.

Not many late rd WRs see much significant time in their first season. He may, just due to our lack of options, but I doubt he supplants Ridley if for no other reason than experience, even as nominal a lead as it may be.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just think we lost our burner and Mooney is the only guy with the tool set to really replace that.
I think it is evident we are going to see a lot more of the two TE set and fewer 3 Wr sets... In that case, the speedy Wr will be extremely situational. If you look at the system Nagy came from and, I'm guessing with 10 TE's on the roster currently, he wants to run. It is a lot of 2 TE formation system. Easier to run out of, easier to disguise run/option and passing plays out of.

I do like Mooney's speed, it is evident on tape against the lower level competition he was playing against. He has that going for him. Just please, please please please, don't let him do any of the blocking on those WR bubble screens Nagy favors.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to go on the offensive TOO hard here. But... I must point out that Olsen is a guy who didn't anything in his rookie year. Despite only having Dez Clark to battle with for targets.
Olsen didn't set the world on fire by any stretch, but he still managed to snag 39 passes for 391 yards. AND he didn't have a head coach or OC at that time willing to utilize the position as Nagy will do.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol don't get him started about Javon Wims. Future hall of famer according him.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, a No. 1 = HOFer, just like a checkdown equals a deep post route. derp

He is a number 1 receiver. His frame dictates that. He currently is Robinson's backup, AT THE NUMBER 1 SPOT.

Not my fault you can't understand basic football concepts.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now if we are to rank the WRs who will likely make the squad, it will be in this order:

Robinson
Miller
Ridley
Wims
Patterson
Mooney

Of course I stressed right now because we have to see how things develop in camp and preseason. Also, it could be argued that Patterson should rank ahead of both Ridley & Wims on the depth chart, but because he will play almost as much in the backfield as he will on the line, I give the other two an ever-so slight edge in ranking. It's more like 3a, 3b, and 3c - mix-n-match how you see fit.

In any event, Mooney will enter camp no higher than the 6th spot. So that's a lot of bodies to climb over in order to be one of the two wideouts or even the top slot receiver. I believe Nagy will come up with some creative plays in which to utilize the kid's skills, but I see limited action for him, at least from the line of scrimmage. However, he could very well be the primary backup for both KR and PR, don't rule that out.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, a No. 1 = HOFer, just like a checkdown equals a deep post route. derp

He is a number 1 receiver. His frame dictates that. He currently is Robinson's backup, AT THE NUMBER 1 SPOT.

Not my fault you can't understand basic football concepts.

lol Look at the back pedaling.

"Umm umm yeah that's what i meant, a number one BACKUP WR to Robinson. Yeah yeah that's what i meant."

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol Look at the back pedaling.

"Umm umm yeah that's what i meant, a number one BACKUP WR to Robinson. Yeah yeah that's what i meant."
fuck yer a broken record, with the football IQ of a turnip.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. Johnson. This is obvious. Could be exactly what we need opposite Fuller considering the ferocious front-line we have.
  2. Kmet. We didn't draft him at 43 without the intent of using him. He make take some time to ramp up to what you want out of a guy drafted where he was but that won't be for lack of use. Nagy wants to use 2 TE sets and Harris/Braunecker don't have the ability Kmet does.
  3. Mooney. He's the only guy in the WR corps with blazing speed, so that earns him some chances. Then again, we didn't have Gabriel for half the year last year either so i don't think Mooney will be heavily used or anything.
  4. Gipson. There's not a lot behind Mack and Quinn which makes his path to the field easier. Vildor is more NFL ready but i'm playing the odds here as Skrine doesn't get hurt and Vildor is more of a nickel.
  5. Vildor. See above, although he could have a nice special teams impact.
  6. Ham and Pig. Practice squaders.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ridley will start this year.

Wims is a raw specimen. I would definitely find a way to use him in the redzone.

Not many late rd WRs see much significant time in their first season. He may, just due to our lack of options, but I doubt he supplants Ridley if for no other reason than experience, even as nominal a lead as it may be.

I agree that Ridley is the most likely candidate to start.

I feel like speed WR's get implemented faster than those dependent on having a refined route tree, though. Johnny Knox being an example. A lot of times they catch on fast. However, I think Mooney definitely splits reps dependent on the situation. Knowing Nagy, he'll have a package.