• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking the Dynasties

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Jordan Bulls. 6 titles in 8 years. Greatest player.

2. Showtime Lakers. 5 titles and 8 Finals appearances in the '80s.

3. Russell Celtics. Absolute domination in the late '50s through the '60s. The only reason they're not no. 1 is because I'm persuaded by the argument about there being fewer teams back then.

4. Duncan Spurs. 5 titles and 6 Finals appearances. Won 50 at least 50 games every year except for shortened seasons.

5. Kobe/Shaq Lakers. 5 titles and 7 Finals appearances, but I put them below Duncan Spurs because of some down years.

6. Curry Warriors. 4 titles and 8 Finals appearances. Will move up to 4th for me if they add another title.

7. Bird Celtics. 3 titles and 5 Finals appearances. Unfortunate for them that they existed at the same time as the second greatest dynasty. Still such great memories of them in the '80s doing battle with the Lakers and Pistons (I wasn't a sports fan yet when they battled Philly, but those must've been great, too).

8. LeBron/Wade Heat. Late addition I just thought of. 3 titles and 5 Finals appearances in a 9 season period has to count as a dynasty, right? Bird Celtics get the edge because of nostalgia and roster continuity?

Is this fair? Am I missing a great dynasty? I'm guessing that the Duncan Spurs v. Kobe/Shaq Lakers will be the biggest debate.

Last edited:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3. Russell Celtics. Absolute domination in the late '50s through the '60s. The only reason they're not no. 1 is because I'm persuaded by the argument about there being fewer teams back then.

4. Duncan Spurs. 5 titles and 6 Finals appearances. Won 50 at least 50 games every year except for shortened seasons.

5. Kobe/Shaq Lakers. 5 titles and 7 Finals appearances, but I put them below Duncan Spurs because of some down years.

6. Curry Warriors. 4 titles and 8 Finals appearances. Will move up to 4th for me if they add another title.

7. Bird Celtics. 3 titles and 5 Finals appearances. Unfortunate for them that they existed at the same time as the second greatest dynasty. Still such great memories of them in the '80s doing battle with the Lakers and Pistons (I wasn't a sports fan yet when they battled Philly, but those must've been great, too).

8. LeBron/Wade Heat. Late addition I just thought of. 3 titles and 5 Finals appearances in a 9 season period has to count as a dynasty, right? Bird Celtics get the edge because of nostalgia and roster continuity?

Is this fair? Am I missing a great dynasty? I'm guessing that the Duncan Spurs v. Kobe/Shaq Lakers will be the biggest debate.

My version;

1) Jordan Bulls

2) Russell Celtics - only 2 because it came in a much less competitive era

3) Showtime Lakers

4) Bird Celtics- league wouldn’t be what it is today without the great Laker/Celtic rivalry

5) Curry Warriors- only 6 Finals appearances, not 8

6) Duncan Spurs- too spread out and with different support players to be ahead of the other 5

7) Shaq/Kobe Lakers- only 3 titles and 4 Finals- other rings came with totally different core.

8) Heat

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly, I don't think I would change anything on the list. Like you pointed out the Lakers/Celtics of the 70's was a deathmatch. If not the other team being there, each team could have 8 titles for the greatest dynasty of all-time and the Showtime Lakers are still right there at the top.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1: Lakers 32 finals in 75 years
#2: Celtics 22 finals in 76 years
#3: Warriors 11 finals in 76 years

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I don't think I would change anything on the list. Like you pointed out the Lakers/Celtics of the 70's was a deathmatch. If not the other team being there, each team could have 8 titles for the greatest dynasty of all-time and the Showtime Lakers are still right there at the top.

I realize that I left out Mikan Lakers. They have to be somewhere on the list.

The other interesting conversation would be ranking the best near dynasties. Off the top of my head, it would be Isiah Pistons, Hakeem Rockets, Cowens Celtics, and West-Wilt Lakers (if only they could've won more than once).

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize that I left out Mikan Lakers. They have to be somewhere on the list.

The other interesting conversation would be ranking the best near dynasties. Off the top of my head, it would be Isiah Pistons, Hakeem Rockets, Cowens Celtics, and West-Wilt Lakers (if only they could've won more than once).
Cavs Lebron-Kyrie-Love. If not for the Warriors, KD joining and injuries that would be a dynasty in the making. This is true lol.

Pistons and Rockets definitely on that list

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs Lebron-Kyrie-Love. If not for the Warriors, KD joining and injuries that would be a dynasty in the making. This is true lol.

Yeah. LeBron Cavs were built to win 3 or more titles in most time periods.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RunTMC Warriors. If not for the fact they didn’t actually win anything, they would be here as well.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only thing I'd change is Kobe/Shaq/Gasol and Duncan Spurs gotta be 4a and 4b.

As much as I'd like to put the Spurs ahead of the Lakers, that would be an intentional act of nonfeasence.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing I'd change is Kobe/Shaq/Gasol and Duncan Spurs gotta be 4a and 4b.

As much as I'd like to put the Spurs ahead of the Lakers, that would be an intentional act of nonfeasence.
Hey, crazier shit has been done around here :)

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RunTMC Warriors. If not for the fact they didn’t actually win anything, they would be here as well.

You keep disrespecting our Run TMC Warriors. LOL.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those teams were so much fun to watch.

Tim Hardaway was one of my favorite players back then.

Used to have a Tim Hardaway shirt that said something like ''I got skills, it's ugly but deadly'' on it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep disrespecting our Run TMC Warriors. LOL.
LOL

Unintentional.

I just mean that any “good” team could be added with just a little rewriting of history.

“If this happened or that didn’t happen, this team would have been a dynasty…”

jon2tanman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,129.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bulls have the best dynasty. The question is, could the best bulls team beat the 86 Celtics or 87 Lakers?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bulls have the best dynasty. The question is, could the best bulls team beat the 86 Celtics or 87 Lakers?
We do the best one year team debate too. The top 4 are pretty much 1985 (or 1987) Lakers, 1986 Celtics, 1996 Bulls, 2017 Warriors. If you make it top 6 you could add the 2001 Lakers and 2012 Heat.

The thing is, any one game any of these teams could beat any other. Where it gets interesting is who wins 7 game series? Depends on rules too, handchecking or no, etc. No 'right' answer can be proven but fun to talk about

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do the best one year team debate too. The top 4 are pretty much 1985 (or 1987) Lakers, 1986 Celtics, 1996 Bulls, 2017 Warriors. If you make it top 6 you could add the 2001 Lakers and 2012 Heat.

The thing is, any one game any of these teams could beat any other. Where it gets interesting is who wins 7 game series? Depends on rules too, handchecking or no, etc. No 'right' answer can be proven but fun to talk about
I would probably go with the ‘85 Lakers. KAJ was two years younger and they had McAdoo and Wilkes on that roster. Although Magic was better in 87. Definitely pretty close. Like you said, it would be a toss up game to game but rules would play a big factor in a 7 games series. Hard to compare some of those teams with the rule changes

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's a pretty important "IF" for this discussion, lol.

How many takers do we have to defend the Bills as a top NFL dynasty?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

By the definition of the word, I think we're being shortsighted here. A dynasty is a succession of rulers of the same line of descent, which implies multiple eras, not just the career length of one important player (Bulls, Patriots, Warriors). For NBA, that pulls it back to Celtics and Lakers, the tried and true (or boring and tired, lol) true examples of dynasty in pro basketball.