• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random thought. I miss the 70's

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know th is has nothing to do with football but I was just listening to "afternoon delight" on YouTube and reading some of the comments. One guy put it perfectly. He said, "if you missed the 70s I'm sorry".

Just wondering how many of you guys got to experience th laid back calm days for the mid to late 70s. I was just a kid but I am so glad I got to experience that time. Now a days every one so glued to thier phones. Back then you said hi to someone and you got a hi back. You guys got any good seventy memories. Please share.

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I feel old. I was born in 68. Yikes

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1984 here

sames

but @The Foot - sounds like you just need to get away from the east coast my man.
anytime I walk anywhere, I wave and say hi to people, and frequently get one in return.

granted, that is in St Louis and Nashville, you know, the Midwest, where common courtesy still lives.
(definitely don't include Chicago in Midwest, people literally look right through you when you say hi to them in the city. But I have had some interesting interactions with complete strangers there)

another option, if you dig the tunes - hit up a music festival. lots of randomly friendly people from all walks of life, eager to share beers, stories, and maybe a doobie

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sames

but @The Foot - sounds like you just need to get away from the east coast my man.
anytime I walk anywhere, I wave and say hi to people, and frequently get one in return.

granted, that is in St Louis and Nashville, you know, the Midwest, where common courtesy still lives.
(definitely don't include Chicago in Midwest, people literally look right through you when you say hi to them in the city. But I have had some interesting interactions with complete strangers there)

another option, if you dig the tunes - hit up a music festival. lots of randomly friendly people from all walks of life, eager to share beers, stories, and maybe a doobie
Thanks Monkey, That's sounds great actually. Where I live the people are friendly for the most part but I just remember back before all this technology people just seemed calmer, and happier, the 70s where a time the country could just take a deep breath. The war was over and love was everywhere. Woman went braless, and even though I was still a kid I still remember sole of the teachers that would be braless and you could literally see there nipples lol. Sorry fo that sounds crude as I know there are a lot of gentleman in here but it was more than that. Just a different world. It will probably never be that way again. Hope I dont sound sad just realizing how great it was to experience those times. But great ideas buddy I appreciate it.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Monkey, That's sounds great actually. Where I live the people are friendly for the most part but I just remember back before all this technology people just seemed calmer, and happier, the 70s where a time the country could just take a deep breath. The war was over and love was everywhere. Woman went braless, and even though I was still a kid I still remember sole of the teachers that would be braless and you could literally see there nipples lol. Sorry fo that sounds crude as I know there are a lot of gentleman in here but it was more than that. Just a different world. It will probably never be that way again. Hope I dont sound sad just realizing how great it was to experience those times. But great ideas buddy I appreciate it.
The city of Ft. Collins fought for years to get a city ordinance passed allowing women to walk around within city limits topless ("free the nipple" was the catch phrase)..it passed 4-5 years ago. I have yet to see titties walking down the street

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have loved to go to some real Dead shows during that time.

same, been to quite a few over the last 20yrs, but all the old heads say it isn't the same without jerry

like seeing john mayer bring a younger generation into the fray, saw Dead and Co in SanFran in 2015 - same weekend as Pride Fest, it was a wild time.
Saw them again at Wrigley in 2017, that night got a little weird, but was still a fun time.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Foot ol boy
if ya remember the seventies then ya didnt do the seventies right

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was just a young teen in the 70s.
  • During the summer months, same routine (most days)... wake up, go out, would not come home until dinner. (Then out again after dinner.) :rolleyes2:
  • A couple of times each summer, would walk 2 blocks to Addison avenue and catch the bus to Wrigley (50 cents) and sit in the bleachers for $4 - just me and a friend - no adult supervision. :mod:
  • Rode my bike to the public pool and hung out there the other days. The AM radio blared the top 40 hits including Argent (Hold Your Head Up), Manfred Mann's Earth Band (Blinded By the Light), and Eric Clapton (Layla). :thrasher: Man, I got sick of those songs at the time.
  • After seeing the movie Rollerball (the 1975 original), we made our own version. We used a 16-inch softball (Chicago "Clincher" model), instead of motorcycles, we used bikes (with banana seats) and the rest of us were on roller skates. Each "goal" was the street light pole. So we basically played street light to street light. All you had to do was have a team member touch the softball to the light pole. I think that was the only rule. Brutal. :what: But fun.
  • Bottle-rocket fights on the 4th of July. Man, we were crazy.

Nat Mann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have loved to go to some real Dead shows during that time.
I was in college in the 70's and my roommates were big Dead fans. I saw many shows, but two stand out because the Dead were using the legendary Wall of Sound speaker system. All McIntosh amps and JBL speakers. The first time I heard it was at an outdoor concert and the UC Santa Barbara football stadium. We could hear the band warming up while we walked to the stadium almost a mile away. The amazing thing was the total lack of distortion. Even that loud and that far away the sound was crystal clear. The band was set up in one end zone and we were sitting on the far 25 yard line. 75 yards away outdoors and the sound was loud, totally engaging and distortion free.

The second time was indoors at Winterland in San Francisco. I thought the Wall of Sound was impressive outdoors; indoors it was astonishing. So loud the bass made your guts vibrate but clear as gin. It was one of the concerts where The Grateful Dead movie was filmed. If you know exactly when and where to look you can see what I looked like ~45 years ago. I almost fell out of my chair in the theater when I saw that.

After the concert I noticed something unusual for an indoor concert - despite the overwhelming volume my ears weren't ringing. No distortion, no ringing.

Sadly, the logistics of setting up and dismantling the system for road shows proved too much and the system was no longer used. But it was sure fun while it lasted. Just like the 70's.

Remembering the Grateful Dead's Wall of Sound: an absurd feat of technological engineering |

Attachments

• wallofsound1.jpg
    wallofsound1.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 2

Yellow Fuzzies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Foot ol boy
if ya remember the seventies then ya didnt do the seventies right
You stole my thunder- I went to high school, College and hitch hiked the western United States during the 70"s. Easy going folks, great music, awesome drugs and free love. What I remember was fabulous. I was a hippy/jock. Great combo.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sixties were way better. The Summer of Love and the new age of Rock & Roll, as the stranglehold of old corporate production, AM radio, short songs limIted by 45 RPM discs and noisy disc jockeys all fell apart as new music took over.

It didn't last Disco became the new corporate production. I shut off the radio and retreated to my record collection.

I moved to Delaware last year. The friendliness I missed is still here, and if the damn government lets us take off these stupid masks, we will see smiles everywhere.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You stole my thunder- I went to high school, College and hitch hiked the western United States during the 70"s. Easy going folks, great music, awesome drugs and free love. What I remember was fabulous. I was a hippy/jock. Great combo.
well i have the hippie part down..... however i was a chickened legged 130 pounder so ...the closest i ever got to Jock was itch

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I remember about the 70's in a glance:
Met the woman who became my life-long partner in 1970
Concerts (1970 - 1974) at the Eddie Graham Sports Stadium (3 Dog Night, Sonny & Cher, 4 Seasons, Moody Blues, and the like) - watched many a wrestling match there as well (yeah, I was hooked on Dusty Rhodes and Rick Flair).
Engaged in 1971
First real job in 1972 (T'ville FD)
Miami's perfect season
Married 1973 - rented first residence
First born 1974
1975 - Had to take a second job (stocking at ABC Liquor store) to help make ends meet - first home purchased
1976 - bi-centennial celebration - FD Christmas party
1977 - blurr (probably soem of that from the Christmas party)
1978 - second son born (Bandit)
1978 - third job doing lawns
1979 - decided one job should be enough for anyone so went to work at the Space Center from where I retired in 2013.
------------------
Nothing all that exciting to anyone else - but it was my 70's life in a nutshell and wouldn't change any of it. ...