• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random FF Thoughts

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well by the time Dolphins first pick was OTC the two RBs considered the best options as work horse RB were off the board so they decided rather then reach for one they just punt that position tell 2023. I'd bet they take one early next draft.
Did you copy and past this from last year?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you copy and past this from last year?
Not at all, although looking back Javonte Williams went one pick ahead of their 2nd round pick ( Harris went in the first) so they could have gotten sniped because they didn't want to use 1.6 or 1.18 on a RB.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another possibility is that some teams saw this was a weak RB and QB class so they decided to bolster their defensive and O-line depth.

Even a top notch hyped rookie has a 50/50 shot of failing. So why would an NFL team draft a QB or RB that is already labeled as a "backup" or "committee back" when there are PLENTY of these lingering in free agency?

Cant polish a turd but i guess you can draft 1.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all, although looking back Javonte Williams went one pick ahead of their 2nd round pick ( Harris went in the first) so they could have gotten sniped because they didn't want to use 1.6 or 1.18 on a RB.
Yeah, being in Denver, we heard the same line of crap the past six years or so around here, but about QB's. And the reality always was, if you find someone you like, you go and get them (which is exactly what they did with J. Williams), but they'd never do it. And what happened? eventually they had to sell the farm to get a QB because they were never willing to go get a franchise.

If Miami was serious, and they should be, then just make a little move, don't' sit there and wait for assclowns like Denver to jump ahead of you and stela your guy. As soon as Buffalo didn't take Hall, they should've been all over the phones getting ahead of everyone possible. Or at the very minimum, after Hall went, they should've done anything they could to jump ahead into Houston's spot, ahead of Atlanta and Seattle (and by default, Houston too)

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another possibility is that some teams saw this was a weak RB and QB class so they decided to bolster their defensive and O-line depth.

Even a top notch hyped rookie has a 50/50 shot of failing. So why would an NFL team draft a QB or RB that is already labeled as a "backup" or "committee back" when there are PLENTY of these lingering in free agency?

Cant polish a turd but i guess you can draft 1.
because what's available in free agency is %100 guaranteed to be exactly what they are. They are a known, exceedingly mediocre or worse, quantity. the 50/50 shot could be crap, could be gold, and that possibility is why you take that chance if you NEED a real RB. If you need exceedingly mediocre, then sure, why bother

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, being in Denver, we heard the same line of crap the past six years or so around here, but about QB's. And the reality always was, if you find someone you like, you go and get them (which is exactly what they did with J. Williams), but they'd never do it. And what happened? eventually they had to sell the farm to get a QB because they were never willing to go get a franchise.

If Miami was serious, and they should be, then just make a little move, don't' sit there and wait for assclowns like Denver to jump ahead of you and stela your guy. As soon as Buffalo didn't take Hall, they should've been all over the phones getting ahead of everyone possible. Or at the very minimum, after Hall went, they should've done anything they could to jump ahead into Houston's spot, ahead of Atlanta and Seattle (and by default, Houston too)
Running backs are such short lived assets many feel you can’t use top draft capital on them. Right or wrong that is the prevailing thought in the NFL. Some Seahawks fans crying about using a second round pick on Walker. :L

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Running backs are such short lived assets many feel you can’t use top draft capital on them. Right or wrong that is the prevailing thought in the NFL. Some Seahawks fans crying about using a second round pick on Walker. :L

it was a bit of a reach for a RB without much of a receiving profile in college in the 2nd round as the #2 RB off the board. Seahawks out here zigging while everyone else zagging

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was a bit of a reach for a RB without much of a receiving profile in college in the 2nd round as the #2 RB off the board. Seahawks out here zigging while everyone else zagging
True but the Seahawks lean hard on running and haven't used RBs as receivers much in the past, I was happy with the choice.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no better way to win, be good at being different than what everyone else is doing. Especially if you can't do what everyone else is doing, better than them. I.E. if you don't have the QB to out gun Mahommes and Herbert, and Burrows and Stafford and Rodgers, than you'd damned well better out run them, or bury them with the pass rush AND outrun the clock

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
outside of QB's, the somewhat rare exception of some lineman and a few DB's/WR's....aren't they all short lived? I mean outside of those elite guys, or near elite guys, everyone else washes out in 4-6 year's anyways, and we're talking about a guy who, outside of the QB, or on rare occasion a vacuum cleaner WR, touches the ball the most on the team each and every week. I just don't get it, its exactly where I'd be spending draft capital. every other year if need be.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
outside of QB's, the somewhat rare exception of some lineman and a few DB's/WR's....aren't they all short lived? I mean outside of those elite guys, or near elite guys, everyone else washes out in 4-6 year's anyways, and we're talking about a guy who, outside of the QB, or on rare occasion a vacuum cleaner WR, touches the ball the most on the team each and every week. I just don't get it, its exactly where I'd be spending draft capital. every other year if need be.
Personally I feel RBs have the shortest careers on average.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a fantasy perspective, sure, collect RB. But from an NFL standpoint, i think we are seeing the decline of the RB - at least from a draft standpoint.

Teams need a strong line on both sides of the ball. Defensively, lineman take the pressure of LB and DB. Offensively, they give the QB more time, let plays develop, and open holes for average RB.

I'm surprised teams are still wasting draft capital on RB early. Stupid. The last 2 Super Bowl champs featured the most immobile, statuesque QB and a committee of RB.

Last edited:

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michel...best true RB of the bunch, bone on bone knees..only a matter of time before he misses games
Mostert..surely the former Niners staff's favorite. Possibly tears a hammy putting his jock on in training camp
Edmonds...flashes as a number 2, sucks as a number one, heads to the trainers table if ever given 20 touches in any single game
Gaskins...better than Edmonds, more reliable too..but still is sub par.

Yes agreed, no thank you, to all of the above.
and on que..I trade a #3 for Sony Michel.

Much more a commentary on the pathetic draft class, than any faith whatosever in Michel

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a fantasy perspective, sure, collect RB. But from an NFL standpoint, i think we are seeing the decline of the RB - at least from a draft standpoint.

Teams need a strong line on both sides of the ball. Defensively, lineman take the pressure of LB and DB. Offensively, they give the QB more time, let plays develop, and open holes for average RB.

I'm surprised teams are still wasting draft capital on RB early. Stupid. The last 2 Super Bowl champs featured the most immobile, statuesque QB and a committee of RB.
ehhhh..I dunno that I would agree with that. The Rams were most certainly a committee, mostly due to necessity, but a full blown committee no less. The Buc's however, were firmly Lenny's backfield. I mean he didn't get EVERY carry, but he certainly got every meaningful carry. And while not a traditional workhorse, there's no arguing that he was the back in TB as the season came to an end. The Chiefs winning year was definitely Damien Williams's job, Patriots with Michel, Eagles undoubtedly Blount, Patriots undoubtedly Blount, and Denver, back in SB 50, ......gag....undoubtedly CJ Anderson.

And in all cases, except the Rams..those RB's were vital to those wins, even the Bucs trouncing of the Chiefs, Lenny closed that thing out like a Dennis Eckersely perfect 9th inning

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, i owned Fourny and RoJo and while Fourny was a little more reliable, that was only towards the end of the season (if i remember correctly).

As for the Rams RB, not taking anything away from anybody, but the argument could be made that the line opened up lanes for that group vs they earned those yards themselves after contact.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, i owned Fourny and RoJo and while Fourny was a little more reliable, that was only towards the end of the season (if i remember correctly).

As for the Rams RB, not taking anything away from anybody, but the argument could be made that the line opened up lanes for that group vs they earned those yards themselves after contact.
oh absolutely..yes, none of the Ram's backs created jack. Henderson kinda did early in the eyar, but for the most part, they got what was blocked and not much else.

And also, absolutely yes, Rojo and Lenny were a committee early on..heck Rojo was even the lead of that committee for a bit, but at the end, and throughout the playoff run, Rojo virtually vanished outside of mop up and giving Lenny a breather from time to time

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Receiving isn't as important when you don't have a QB.