• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Quinn contract structure looks pretty team friendly

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From PFT:

1. Signing bonus: $3 million.

2. 2020 roster bonus: $12.5 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2020 base salary: $3 million, fully guaranteed.

4. 2021 base salary: $11.5 million, fully guaranteed.

5. 2022 base salary: $12.8 million.

6. 2023 base salary: $13.9 million.

7. 2024 base salary: $12.9 million.

The deal also has $100,000 workout bonuses from 2021 through 2024.

It’s basically a two-year, $30 million deal with a team option for the next three seasons.

Quinn, who turns 30 in May, had 11.5 sacks in 14 games last season, his first and only in Dallas. He had a career-high 19.0 sacks with the Rams in 2013.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the info. One thing that we do seem to really excel at is contract structure. This is what i thought about the Mike Glennon signing as well. So what if it's a lot of money over a lot of years. If you're signing him then you think he's got value for at least the first year, probably the second year, up-in-the-air after that. So why not load up the first two years with the guaranteed money and such and give yourself an out later?

Obviously Quinn fills a big need for us, and there's no situation where we bench him within the first year. Year 2: we'll see, he'd have to stumble pretty badly for us to justify needing to take him off the field. So there's pretty much no doubt that he'll be starting for us regardless of how good or bad he is. As long as we're not stuck with him beyond that in the event that year 2 sucks, i'm a happy guy.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears typically structure contracts very well.

Cliff Stein is one of the best in the business and even doesn't do the contracts anymore I'm sure he still holds a lot of influence in how they get done.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears typically structure contracts very well.

Cliff Stein is one of the best in the business and even doesn't do the contracts anymore I'm sure he still holds a lot of influence in how they get done.

They also do a good job of restructuring. Which they did with Whitehair yesterday. Got us up to over 9 mil in available cap space for this off-season. I'm hoping we still make another meaningful move. I'd love a guard. Maybe a SS.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be okay with filling guard through the draft but Whitehair and Daniels still seem to have communication problems to me and I'd hate to toss a rookie in that. So signing a vet guard seems like a good move.

Zappa_Zippo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, the Bears are great at contract structuring. That’s why we’re 32nd in the league in cap space right now with minuscule draft capital.

NFL 2020 Salary Cap Tracker

What the hell are you people drinking? Can I have some?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, the Bears are great at contract structuring. That’s why we’re 32nd in the league in cap space right now with minuscule draft capital.

NFL 2020 Salary Cap Tracker

What the hell are you people drinking? Can I have some?

What does that have to do with contract structuring? Especially draft capital. Draft capital isn't related to contract structuring in any way, shape or form. You could be the worst at contract structuring with free agents and have all of the draft capital in the league. You could also be the BEST at contract structuring with free agents and have the least draft capital in the league.

In terms of salary cap. Of course, they don't have any cap left. They spent it. That doesn't mean they structure contracts poorly. Especially since the off-season where they traded for Mack. Pace and the FO has had to do some REAL fancy work regarding structuring, restructuring, etc. Just to sign Quinn and Foles over the past week. They had to be very inventive. As shown in the original post of the thread.

Zappa_Zippo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? Contract structuring has nothing to do with the current salary cap situation? Take a cold shower.

The relevance of draft capital is that at least if you are cap he’ll because of your current contracts, there’s potentially a light at the end of the tunnel without a full blown rebuild. The Bears don’t have that. They are pinned.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? Contract structuring has nothing to do with the current salary cap situation? Take a cold shower.

The relevance of draft capital is that at least if you are cap he’ll because of your current contracts, there’s potentially a light at the end of the tunnel without a full blown rebuild. The Bears don’t have that. They are pinned.

Who is saying that contract structuring doesn't effect cap space? Very clearly, it does. Take a few deep breaths and actually read the post.

Spending your cap doesn't automatically = bad contract structuring. The bottom 10 in cap space generally consists of the teams who are competitive because they're going to be in "win now" mode and aggressive in spending. Right now, the bottom 10 includes SF, NO, NE, PIT, BAL, KC, GB, MIN... Perennial playoff and SB contenders in the recent seasons. You would be hard-pressed to suggest that all of those teams don't know what they're doing in contract structuring.

I am saying that you will be hard-pressed to find evidence that our cap situation has to do with poor contract structuring. Evident by the fact that we've had to structure extremely well just to fit in all of the signings we've made. Clever structuring/restructuring is what has allowed us to stay aggressive this off-season. Where poor contract structuring would have prevented us from signing Quinn and taking on Foles. Both of those contacts were structured (in Foles case, restructured) extremely well for us. This allowed us to fit both in.

Where are all of these poor contracts in terms of structure?

The relevance of draft capital is that at least if you are cap he’ll because of your current contracts, there’s potentially a light at the end of the tunnel without a full blown rebuild. The Bears don’t have that. They are pinned

Okay, so draft capital is separate from contract structuring. Thanks.

I don't think anyone here would argue that Pace has been very liberal with his use of draft picks in trades to acquire veteran pieces. However, it isn't something that is impacted by cap management/contract structuring. So, it's really not relevant to the topic of contract structuring. If you want to bash Pace for that - go ahead and make another thread. However, our lack of draft capital is certainly not a result of how we structure deals.