• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Quick Thoughts on the Defensive Turnaround

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching this defense. I think people are oversimplifying this defensive turnaround. There are a multitude of factors at play:

1) the Broncos have been fortunate to go up against two defenses they matched up with quite well. The Chargers have an absolutely HORRID offensive line. They are getting continually bullied. Then to go up against the Titans and their massive offensive ineptitude the next week. A team that can't even hit a screen and playing phonebooth football matched well w/ Denver's new front 7 (and pushed back a week in finding out what the DBs ar made of...)

2) Moving Harris OFF nose was huge. He was getting held up in the middle at 0/1 tech far too often. I had some hope about him at nose but was always skeptical. Purcell even in a limited snap count has made a big difference on first and second down.

3) People are overrating the transition from Gotsis to Harris at RDE. To me they are playing at a very similar level at the least. Gotsis is the better run defender but offers less pass rush upside and sub package versatility, but it's neck and neck. The improvement up front has MORE to do w/ moving Harris off nose than anything else on the DL.

4) The addition of AJ Johnson in for Corey Nelson cannot be overstated enough. I am still wait and see on AJ Johnson but mother of GOD Nelson was HORRIFIC in his time starting, both against the run and pass. There still should be concerns w/ AJ in coverage and it appears the coaching staff also has some issues there, being they are doing everything they can to make AJ a pass rusher not a coverage player in those situations. Todd Davis is still this team's best overall linebacker despite the popular narrative he isn't good.

5) A healthy Kareem Jackson has been key and bringing aggressiveness coming downhill in the flats and against the run. He and Simmons are improving each week and are really helping those in front of them in pass and run defense. Probably the strength of the defense at this point.

6) And perhaps most importantly, this was a team transitioning from a heavy Cover 1 man based defense to more of a Cover 4/6 look with cover 2 man sprinkled in. This was always going to take some transition time to work, but it's starting to show out as the players become more comfortable in their assignments and cohesive w/ each other on the field.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bugs01.gif

Areas of Weakness 2019

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent Thread and good thoughts on where we are at .