• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Quick Hook from USC

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like y'all could benefit from some lowered expectations

Rivals Recruiting rankings:. (Top team in pac-12 on left)

2017: USCw #6, Oregon #18
2018: USCw #3, Oregon #13
2019 : WA #16, USCw #18
2020: Oregon #9, USCw #71
2021: Oregon #3, USCw #9

They had the one down year, but should have the talent, especially in their division. P12 ain't the SEC, where you're 16th overall, and 8th in the conference. Guy was underperforming.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bold is a big part of why they fired him now. It's also, imo, why they made Donte Williams interim head coach. USC just had a very low (by USC standards) recruiting class a couple of years ago (the only reason he survived that was a $20 million buyout) they don't want another one like that.

Yeah, we knew it wasn't going to be a good class.

Fickell might be the guy. He's done a good job at Cincinnati.

CFB Insider Says USC Job Is 1 Coach’s To Turn Down

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we knew it wasn't going to be a good class.

Fickell might be the guy. He's done a good job at Cincinnati.

CFB Insider Says USC Job Is 1 Coach’s To Turn Down

Makes a lot of sense and it was Bohn that hired him at Cincy. But the early word is that he's happy in the midwest. That could be a smoke screen so as not to upset his players (he does still have a season to coach). But if Bohn offers a big check and virtually unlimited resources...it may sway him.

I don't expect to see a decision any time real soon. They're likely finalizing their "wishlist" and will start reaching out through back channels. But the only way I see a hire happening quickly is if it's someone currently not coaching like Bob Stoops. Plus, they'll likely want to give Donte Williams a fair shot to show what he can do. Although they'd probably have to win out under him for him to really have a shot.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any of you USC fans give any credence to the talk of making a run at Urban Meyer?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any of you USC fans give any credence to the talk of making a run at Urban Meyer?

It's an interesting thought. Neuheisel was on dan patrick this morning talking like that's going be who it is. lol

What makes it really interesting is that I heard that 2 years ago, there was a deal all but set and it was nixed at ''the highest level'' at USC because of the climate at the time.

Ultimately, if the climate has changed enough, I can see them making a call. But I'd be shocked if they actually ended up with him as the coach.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimately, if the climate has changed enough, I can see them making a call. But I'd be shocked if they actually ended up with him as the coach.
That's what I was thinking. I can't see Urban pulling a Saban/Petrino with the Jags after just 1 season.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I was thinking. I can't see Urban pulling a Saban/Petrino with the Jags after just 1 season.

Yeah, I mean, if they go 0-17...then maybe he bails. Something pretty drastic would likely have to happen for him to leave after 1 year.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think he has a mystery illness?

Is he going to get a bad case of COVID and have to resign? Or, just go Bobby Petrino and leave a note on the players lockers and sneak off.
Ha ha! Any of the above maybe

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a bit more than that...Swann basically gave him a huge buyout. I'm sure it was a tough call too because he's a genuinely good guy and it's not like he was terrible. 46-24 is a respectable record. But overall, his teams didn't perform to USC standards. Especially in big games.

His same accomplishments at most other schools would earn him an extension. But not at a school like USC that expects to be competing for the cfp every year.
Agreed. Nice guy ain't good enough. His record against ranked competition was terrible. I always thought he seemed very amateurish in his game planning. Teams with that much talent should not get beaten or play so poorly so often.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Nice guy ain't good enough. His record against ranked competition was terrible. I always thought he seemed very amateurish in his game planning. Teams with that much talent should not get beaten or play so poorly so often.
Did they really have that much talent lately?

They did in the early 2000s when they were getting **cough, cough** extra benefits. Not knocking it. Especially since it's now been legalized. Just that outside of a couple WRs and maybe a couple QBs did they really have top tier talent?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They did in the early 2000s when they were getting **cough, cough** extra benefits. Not knocking it. Especially since it's now been legalized. Just that outside of a couple WRs and maybe a couple QBs did they really have top tier talent?
Maybe not. All I hear is about the top talent they have and how deep they are. Supposed to be the reason so many transfer out.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, there was basically 1 down year by USC standards, but the others have been top 10 nationally. Talent isn't the problem.

With the possible exception of Notre Dame and maybe a bowl game (if they make one)...USC won't face a team with more talent than they have.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, the NFL is loaded with SC talent

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised if a hire is made before the end of the season. There's also going to be a crazy amount of names thrown out there...many of which will be from agents trying to attach their clients name to USC to leverage a raise for them.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised if a hire is made before the end of the season. There's also going to be a crazy amount of names thrown out there...many of which will be from agents trying to attach their clients name to USC to leverage a raise for them.
I say hire Snoop

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 39,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an interesting thought. Neuheisel was on dan patrick this morning talking like that's going be who it is. lol

What makes it really interesting is that I heard that 2 years ago, there was a deal all but set and it was nixed at ''the highest level'' at USC because of the climate at the time.

Urb was probably hoping this would happen 2yrs from now. Flame out in Jax after the third year and then take a high profile job like a USC.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urb was probably hoping this would happen 2yrs from now. Flame out in Jax after the third year and then take a high profile job like a USC.

Yeah, its all about timing. From what I heard, part of the concern was a new president and new AD bringing in Meyer with the nature of his, at the time, recent issues hiring him. Now, 2 years later, if he wasn't in Jax, he'd probably already be hired. lol