• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question on the Overturn

bigdaddytorr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I ask, I want to make it clear that I think the correct call was made by rule. The only question I have is, is there video evidence of the ball hitting the ground? I believe I saw a replay of the ball hitting the ground when the game was on but I'm not 100% sure. If there is video evidence of the ball hitting the ground, it's the correct call... but I'm only seeing one angle posted everywhere of the play and that angle isn't showing the ball touching the ground.

Anyone have a video or gif of the other angle? Thanks.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I ask, I want to make it clear that I think the correct call was made by rule. The only question I have is, is there video evidence of the ball hitting the ground? I believe I saw a replay of the ball hitting the ground when the game was on but I'm not 100% sure. If there is video evidence of the ball hitting the ground, it's the correct call... but I'm only seeing one angle posted everywhere of the play and that angle isn't showing the ball touching the ground.

Anyone have a video or gif of the other angle? Thanks.

yeah, he has the ball in his arm and the ball hits the ground and the ball moves. That has always been the way it goes, if the ground makes the ball move...no catch.

bigdaddytorr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, he has the ball in his arm and the ball hits the ground and the ball moves. That has always been the way it goes, if the ground makes the ball move...no catch.

Yeah, that's how I feel too... but I'm just looking for a video or a gif of the other angle... this angle doesn't show the ball hitting the ground. It actually looks like Dez's right hand popped it out. But I think the other angle would reveal what actually happened.

dez2.0.gif

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still glad thit happened to Dez but...

I still think the ball could have been ruled a catch and down at the 2-3 inch mark. He was tangled with the DB caught the ball took 2 steps and got his off hand down and then when his arm hits the field the ball comes out.

I hate the continuation rule but here the defender was making contact and helped cause Dez to go down. It is a judgement call and was originally called a catch from the replays is their really enough to overturn it? Was it so obvious?

Bad rule, bad call whichever they should not help decide a crucial game.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we were playing a neighborhood game, I'd count it. In the NFL, sorry man. It's obviously a tough call, but as Cowboys fans should have learned about sniveling, whining, disgusting Detroit fans from the ghetto, one call isn't what it's about.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's how I feel too... but I'm just looking for a video or a gif of the other angle... this angle doesn't show the ball hitting the ground. It actually looks like Dez's right hand popped it out. But I think the other angle would reveal what actually happened.

dez2.0.gif

No, that actually shows the ball hitting the ground pretty clearly.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question the ball came out when he hit the ground and the ground caused it. The only question is whether he made a "football move". I think the 2 steps and reaching for the goal line should qualify. I'm going to look up a video of a Chargers WR who did the same thing and it was upheld as a catch. It was either last year or the year before and the doof officiating commentator... don't remember whether it was Pereira or not, said the reach for the goal line was a "football move". It was even less definitive than Dez's catch. He was also sort of falling and only took one step on his way down. I hope it's still out there somewhere.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my point if he actually touched the line would they have considered it a football move to score and called it a catch?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, that actually shows the ball hitting the ground pretty clearly.

I agree the ball hit the ground.

But in my mind when he got both feet down then his off hand down to try and reach the goal he made a football move.....and it was called a catch on the field. So it becomes a judgement and was their enough to over rule the field call?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you, the ball hit the ground so no catch.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question the ball came out when he hit the ground and the ground caused it. The only question is whether he made a "football move". I think the 2 steps and reaching for the goal line should qualify. I'm going to look up a video of a Chargers WR who did the same thing and it was upheld as a catch. It was either last year or the year before and the doof officiating commentator... don't remember whether it was Pereira or not, said the reach for the goal line was a "football move". It was even less definitive than Dez's catch. He was also sort of falling and only took one step on his way down. I hope it's still out there somewhere.
Even if Dez was awarded the catch there were 4 minutes remaining and that's plenty of time for an elite QB like Rodgers to guide his team to a TD or FG.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah they need to clarify this "football move" business in the rule much better. Btw, it was Denarious Alexander of the Bolts against Denver 11/19/2012 where a very similar call was upheld as a catch. He was falling as he made the catch, managed to take 1 step on his way down and reached the the ball out. The ball came out briefly when he hit the ground. The reviewed and decided he made a "football move". They've pulled the video of it. At least I can't find it anymore. If he's falling as he makes the catch he has to hold onto it when he hits the ground. I get that and agree with it. It's this "football move/process of the catch" business where they're getting lost in the weeds on these replay calls. If he makes a step or 2 and reaches with the ball it should be considered a football move always.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Dez was awarded the catch there were 4 minutes remaining and that's plenty of time for an elite QB like Rodgers to guide his team to a TD or FG.

That's true. I figure the Boys go for 2 there. They would have had to make it to prevent the Pack from needing only a FG to win.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right call, but bad rule I have to say. The interpretation of a football move is still left to judgement. I don't blame the loss on the one play. Cowboys fouled up opportunies by not executing and by rule this was not a catch. That said the rule need to change, Dez possessed that ball at its highest point and maintained possession all the way to the ground and the maintaining the ball after his feet are in bounds and the off hand goes down first should be a catch and the rule should be changed. I would not want to see another team have the rule cost them.

Well except maybe the Eagles, Skins, or Giants

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to throw it out there, but the term "football move" is not even in the rule.

bigdaddytorr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BriskHandsomeGrasshopper.gif

Found what I was looking for... Correct call.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the call is correct, the rule is still absurd!!! Dez's greed killed the Cowboys. If he had just wrapped the ball up and went to the ground instead of trying to score, the Cowboys win this game.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the call is correct, the rule is still absurd!!! Dez's greed killed the Cowboys. If he had just wrapped the ball up and went to the ground instead of trying to score, the Cowboys win this game.

So GB moving the ball right down the field immediately after this wouldn't have happened? Assuming Dallas scores the TD and goes for 2, it's either a 1 or 3 point lead with ~4 min left. No way can you say it would have been a foregone conclusion.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to throw it out there, but the term "football move" is not even in the rule.

Right. The rule states they have to, or demonstrate they held the ball long enough to, make a move common to the game... or something like that. Maybe all of these talking head ex-refs should stop using the term then.