• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question on CC across "Tribal lands"

RTR...USN (ret)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I can't seem to find a definitive answer, so I'm posing the question to all of the experts here on the hoop. I have a CC permit from Colorado, but regularly make the drive from Colorado to Alabama. All of the states I travel through have reciprocity agreements with Colorado so my CC permit is good. Where I'm getting hung up is going through Oklahoma on I40, and all of the "Tribal lands" associated with all of the reservations / Indian nations. Am I still legal on the interstate? Stopping to get fuel, food, etc? There seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the web. @CowpokeU could you weigh in on your state? Thanks in Advance!

CowpokeU

TCU Homeboard Wrecker
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I can't seem to find a definitive answer, so I'm posing the question to all of the experts here on the hoop. I have a CC permit from Colorado, but regularly make the drive from Colorado to Alabama. All of the states I travel through have reciprocity agreements with Colorado so my CC permit is good. Where I'm getting hung up is going through Oklahoma on I40, and all of the "Tribal lands" associated with all of the reservations / Indian nations. Am I still legal on the interstate? Stopping to get fuel, food, etc? There seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the web. @CowpokeU could you weigh in on your state? Thanks in Advance!

Generally, tribes are okay with CC permits from any state however, we will decline to Federal Laws IF tribal laws are unspecified or don't exist.

It's a weird grey area.

My reservation is okay with it as we honor all CC permits, however this is a tribe to tribe thing.

One thing to mention however is any tribal land on I40 will default to state laws in Oklahoma. Any tribal land on any major thoroughfare traditionally honors state and federal weapons laws.

RTR...USN (ret)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generally, tribes are okay with CC permits from any state however, we will decline to Federal Laws IF tribal laws are unspecified or don't exist.

It's a weird grey area.

My reservation is okay with it as we honor all CC permits, however this is a tribe to tribe thing.

One thing to mention however is any tribal land on I40 will default to state laws in Oklahoma. Any tribal land on any major thoroughfare traditionally honors state and federal weapons laws.
Awesome! Thank you! Have yourself a great weekend!

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd leave the gun in the glove while on tribal land if you aren't 100% sure to be safe. I wouldn't just assume it's ok. If it's in the glove box and you have a valid CC permit then I can't imagine any scenario where you would have an issue.

Another thing to be aware of is that even if a state reciprocates there can be special rules that need to be applied. For example in Lousiana, if you are stopped and concealed carrying then you have an obligation to tell the officer that you are armed but in Alabama, you are not.

RTR...USN (ret)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd leave the gun in the glove while on tribal land if you aren't 100% sure to be safe. I wouldn't just assume it's ok. If it's in the glove box and you have a valid CC permit then I can't imagine any scenario where you would have an issue.

Another thing to be aware of is that even if a state reciprocates there can be special rules that need to be applied. For example in Lousiana, if you are stopped and concealed carrying then you have an obligation to tell the officer that you are armed but in Alabama, you are not.
I have a neighbor who's a deputy here in Colorado. He recommends you tell them anyway. He said it put's them at ease if you tell them up front. I have had others say the opposite. I always make sure to check the latest updates on laws before I travel just to make sure.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Pyramid Lake reservation near Reno does not allow guns at all on tribal land, CCW or not. Most rangers state if you aren't causing issues by waving them around or shooting them you should be fine having them in your car though because there is a county owned shooting range just down the road and hunters pass through the res getting to a few popular hunting areas to the north. If you do get checked and one is having a bad day they can arrest and confiscate though

CowpokeU

TCU Homeboard Wrecker
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I had to check because guns are a tricky deal on reservations.

Per the Indian Civil Rights Act of 1978 (it took us a bit longer) part of that was granting us only certain constitutional protections.

Being native and living on the reservation, we are not entitled to the 1st through 6th amendments from the first 10, coincidentally however we are not restricted by the 11th amendment.

Also noted the 14th and 18th amendments are different for us. Citizenship via being native on native land makes us "quasi-citizens" wherein we are "Ward of the State."

As well the 18th amendment has stood since 1884 wherein we are not allowed to posses, manufacturer or Alcoholic or Malt Beverages.