• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB- Peyton Manning vs Tom Brady

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas Clark was Manning product. He nothing before playing with Manning and nothing after playing with Manning.

And he doesn't make that many mistakes in big games. It's entirely overblown.

I'll give you the important points.

1. Manning led the largest comeback in conference championship game history against Brady in 06
2. Manning's playoff passer rating is higher than Brady's and Troy Aikman's, both multiple time super bowl winners.
3. His 5 home playoff losses are by a combined 14 points, the smallest margin ever.
4. Manning is the only quarterback to ever have two playoff losses where his last play was to set up a clutch field goal that was missed.(Luckily Brady had the most clutch kicker of all time by the name of Vinatieri and Manning was stuck with a drunk kicker by the name of Vanderjagt.)
5. Between 200-2012, Manning had the most fumbled completions by his receivers than any other quarterback. Everyone had a losing record when this happened in their games, except for Tom Brady (3-0).
6. Manning set the record for most completions and passing yards in a home playoff loss with 33 and 402 against San Diego in 2007. In that game he also completed 68% of his throws and had 3 td's yet his team still lost. This is one of his 8 1 and done games. did he choke in this game?
7. Manning has 3 of the 8 highest playoff losses in terms of QBR.
8. Against the Jets in 2010, Manning had a QBR of 108.7, the highest over for a quarterback in a home playoff loss. His last drive as the Colt's qb was putting the team ahead in the final minute, only to see his defense blow it against Mark Sanchez of all people.
9. Manning is the only qb in NFL history to lose 2 home playoff games despite throwing 3 td's.
10. Manning has high-quality playoff stats, but they have not led to wins.

In the regular season Manning wins 82.6 percent of his games when he has a passer rating of at least 85.0 (it is 77.8 percent in the 85.0-110.0 range).
In the playoffs Manning is 5-6 (.455) with a passer rating of at least 85.0. He has been at least 88.3 in each of his last five playoff losses.
The six losses are as many as Joe Montana (12-3), Tom Brady (10-2) and Brett Favre (11-1) have combined. The only other quarterbacks with a losing record (min. four games) are Warren Moon (2-4) and Ken Anderson (2-3).

If that is not bizarre enough, there is the fact that even when Manning and his entire offense avoids turnovers, he still loses at a most historic rate.

In the regular season Manning’s teams are 40-2 (.952) when they have zero giveaways on offense. That is the best record in the league since 1998.
In the playoffs Manning’s Colts were 1-5 (.167) when they had zero giveaways on offense. The rest of the league is 50-5 (.909), and that even includes two games where neither team had a giveaway.
When your defense allows a fourth-quarter comeback 60 percent of the time (6-4), you have a real problem. It is one thing to let Drew Brees do it, but when it’s Jay Fiedler, Billy Volek, Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco? That is completely unacceptable.

Manning’s had a lead in the final 0:40 of the fourth quarter and lost four playoff games.

Again

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, his defense usually failed him. He has routinely outperformed Brady in the playoffs. That is a fact. Just because he didn't have the Pats defense doesn't change that.

Im sorry but that is bullshit. Fact Manning has lost his 12 playoff games by an average score of 27.1 to 15.5, Brady has lost his 8 playoff games by an average score of 27.3 to 17.7. Teams Manning has played on have given up 30+ points in only 3 of his 12 playoff losses and Bradys teams have given up 30+ in 3 of his 8. The REAL difference in these 2 guys playoff career is that Manning is 3-7 in games decided by 1 score or less and Brady is 9-4. Thats the difference. Clutch vs not clutch. Period. Thats it. The rest be damned. losses.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady did his part? On what planet is a quarterback having a quarterback rating in a game of 53.8 them doing their job? Yes Brady marched them down to score the go ahead touchdown late in the game but he was just as much a part of the problem of them doing nothing for 3 quarters to put the team in that kind of situation.

Again the 2nd Super Bowl against the Giants I will give Brady credit where it is due in he played a pretty decent game. But that first Super Bowl Brady laid an egg as did the whole offense. That defense played a good enough game that they should have had that game wrapped up before the 4th quarter started. Here is a helpful part of the equation for you...The Patriots only had the ball for 23 minutes of the game. Eventually a defense does wear out a bit when they have to be on the field for an extended time.

Giants defense was tough .... They were on a roll in that first Super-Bowl and that was a big part of why Brady struggled ... And like you pointed out Brady did have a great drive to give them the lead when it counted near the end of the game... So once again he came through and the defense gave it up on the last drive... It wasn't a pretty drive by New York but it got the job done.... Pats defense back in the day I think would a stopped New York and sealed the victory... Eli wasn't facing the same D the Pats had back in the day....

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean the guy who has a superior passer rating, YPA, YPG, completion percentage, and damn near every other stat than Tom Brady in the playoffs?

"That has absolutely nothing to do with it." - Tom Brady apologists

"It's his intangibles." - bullshit fans of guys like Brady and Jeter like to say when you point out their below-average numbers

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has outperformed Brady in all statistical categories. Pick one. Any individual statistic. Manning has been better.

I know the Patriots defense deteriorated, but not for the first two SBs.

As soon as Brady's defense was mediocre, like what Manning had to deal with, Brady stopped winning Super Bowls too.

I love Pats fans. :L

"Our defense is elite." - what they love shouting from the rooftops, til...

"Our defense sucks." - when Brady looks terrible (like his last 20 games)

:L

"Blah blah blah Peyton Manning blah blah blah" - their answer to any valid question about Tom Brady's pedestrian (at best) play.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im sorry but that is bullshit. Fact Manning has lost his 12 playoff games by an average score of 27.1 to 15.5, Brady has lost his 8 playoff games by an average score of 27.3 to 17.7. Teams Manning has played on have given up 30+ points in only 3 of his 12 playoff losses and Bradys teams have given up 30+ in 3 of his 8. The REAL difference in these 2 guys playoff career is that Manning is 3-7 in games decided by 1 score or less and Brady is 9-4. Thats the difference. Clutch vs not clutch. Period. Thats it. The rest be damned. losses.

Why hasn't Tom Brady won shit in a decade?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember the thread where someone suggested Brady wasn't a top five QB anymore? Holy cow the outrage was hilarious. Going have to hunt that thread down and bump it.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why hasn't Tom Brady won shit in a decade?

No clue man, honestly its irrelevant if you are talking about who had the best career. Neither guy has won a SB in 8 years. What I dont get is why we need to say one guy is great and the other is a product of something. Cant both be great?? Great has a shit ton of different variations. Some guys are great in the regular season and have awesome numbers. Some guys are clutch. Some, A VERY FEW, are both. Neither of these guys is both, just the way it is. Manning is awesome. Brady is awesome. Both get there differently. Neither is legendary like Montana although BOTH may be better QB's overall.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember the thread where someone suggested Brady wasn't a top five QB anymore? Holy cow the outrage was hilarious. Going have to hunt that thread down and bump it.

...when you find it, change the title to "Tom Brady isn't a top 35 QB anymore" so it's current. :suds:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"bullshit!" - rmilia :L

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"bullshit!" - rmilia :L

Hey HD the numbers are the numbers. Mannings losses have been by a wider margin with his defenses giving up less points and he has more of them in less games. I dont know what else to tell you. Manning also has 3 games where his offenses have failed to score double digits in points. Brady has 0. Add to the fact that Manning has more INT's and less TD's in 3 fewer games and the results are pretty clear. Mannings teams have NOT been let down by his D, they simply havent won as many close games. If you flip flop their records in games decided by 7 or less then Manning has 8 playoff losses and 3 rings while brady has 12 playoff losses and 1 or 0 rings. Thats what separates them. Guts. One has them, the other folds. Not an indictment on Manning, lots of great QB's struggle under pressure.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't care who was better between these two, but neither can be considered the best ever IMO. It's a team game, but in this era? When passing is all the rage, and the way the game is set up to dominate through the air? There is no way I can't look at Peyton Manning's losing record in the playoffs, after posting basically nothing but 13-3 regular seasons and not get a good chuckle. In the end. the guy just isn't wired for the biggest stakes.

Fact is, neither is Brady. It's not the be-all, end-all, as both are all timers.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his career Manning has had a top 10 defense in either yards or ppg 8 times.

2 of those were top 10 in both and another 2 missed by less then 10 yards.

So he has been in the league 15 seasons (off the top of my head)

That is over 50% of the time.

Ok... You brought up playoffs. Why are you giving me regular season stats?

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol, no.

How many average points did the Patriots D give up on average during the three SB years?

Y'know, since that's the entire basis of the "Brady > Manning" argument.

In fact, Brady not winning another SB since the Pats D deteriorated proves my point even more.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always been more impressed with what Brady has done was opposed to Manning. Not to undervalue Manning but he has always had a great supporting cast. In Indy he was surrounded by Harrsion, Wayne, Clark and RBs like James and Addai and even the early years of Garcon who has proven solid. In Denver he has Thomas, J Thomas and has also had Decker and Welker. Again not to take away from Manning but those guys are light years better then what Brady has had.

Who has Brady's best receiver been. Maybe a past his prime Randy Moss that one year or Gronk who has been healthy half the time. I guess Welker was pretty productive but I always thought Brady made him what he is. As far Rbs he never he really had a dominant one.

I dont know both are great but I have been more impressed with Brady.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, no.

How many average points did the Patriots D give up on average during the three SB years?

Y'know, since that's the entire basis of the "Brady > Manning" argument.

In fact, Brady not winning another SB since the Pats D deteriorated proves my point even more.

YOU said Manning was a playoff loser because of his defenses. I pointed out that wasnt teue. To answer your qiestion Brafys pats have given up 22 ppg in his playoff wins and Mannings teams have given up 20.5 in his. Claiming a guy loses because his d stinks and then trying to change your argument when proven wrong is weak btw

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last 2 posters are intelligent football followers. Fact is Brady has taken 2 pay cuts to get some offensive talent in and it worked well first time bringing Moss in. This time unfort Patriots are tied up with I think 17 mil dead cap with Hernandez, Brady is currently the 15th highest paid QB, so middle of the pack. I'd love to see some of these primadonnas ever take a pay cut to bring in more talent