• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB- Peyton Manning vs Tom Brady

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning's an awesome QB.

...just wanted to state that.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Brady is an awesome quarterback as well NEHomer...Just wanted to state that. I've said this before but having this debate is like arguing over which kind of expensive steak is best. You honestly cannot go wrong with either as they are both delicious.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya I know it may be a tired argument but I am wondering what the SportsHoopla folks think.

Peyton Manning 9-11 in playoffs 1 SB win
Tom Brady 17-9 in playoffs 3 SB wins

These two are always compared to each other and I just do not see it. By far Brady is better in my mind but I am open to discussion.

I am obviously biased

It's impossible to make a fair comparison because of the Patriots "spygate" tactics. Since they were busted, Brady hasn't won a SB. I bet if you gave Payton that advantage he could have pulled off another SB or two.

BTW- Before every pats fan starts hitting me with "it didn't help that much" or "every team does it" relax, it's just my opinion. I don't expect you to agree.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets not forget those pesky interceptions or pick 6's

Longevity will get you numbers (aka Bret)

He fails when it counts most.

No, his defense usually failed him. He has routinely outperformed Brady in the playoffs. That is a fact. Just because he didn't have the Pats defense doesn't change that.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton is a sub 500 post season QB with really good (and some great teams)

He's gone one and done 8 times.

He's the last QB I'd want in the playoffs.

So you would actually take Tim Couch over Peyton Manning in the playoffs? Hey you said # 18's the LAST guy you'd want. Which is totally absurd.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets not forget those pesky interceptions or pick 6's

Longevity will get you numbers (aka Bret)

He fails when it counts most.

I still fondly remember Champ's pick six on Brady in the playoffs.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning fans got seriously butt hurt last February.

Thank you Hawks~

OMAHA!

Kind of like when people have the nerve to mention Spy Gate (yes that actually happened) & Tommy's pre Spy Gate SB record to his post Spy Gate SB record?:noidea:

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning seems to age like fine wine and Brady is starting to get a little vinigary.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ignoring the fact that comparing someone to Marino isn't exactly an insult (Marino with a ring is pretty much the perfect career), does that make Brady Eli?

Marino played his worst football in the playoffs. Some of his teams were pretty good too.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, his defense usually failed him. He has routinely outperformed Brady in the playoffs. That is a fact. Just because he didn't have the Pats defense doesn't change that.

Thats not a fact btw when your score under 17 points in most playoff games and as low is 3 is that your D failing you. How did he routinely outperform him? From 01-05 Pats D was much better no q?

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marino played his worst football in the playoffs. Some of his teams were pretty good too.

Your right another one is Favre that comes to mind. Eli and Flacco can be mediocre in reg season but go to different levels in the playoffs. Both guys incredible on road as WC to win SB's . Flaccos 2 years ago was one of the best of all time. Guy goes into Mile High and Gillette and knocks them both off

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Brady is an awesome quarterback as well NEHomer...Just wanted to state that. I've said this before but having this debate is like arguing over which kind of expensive steak is best. You honestly cannot go wrong with either as they are both delicious.

Spot on again CD to me they are the 2 best QB's that I have seen play since Montana. Rodgers looks like the new sheriff now wtf I sound like Gruden

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Brady is awesome.... He's getting older now so everyone needs to give the guy a break, but his career has been epically good.... People judging him on some of the playoff losses and Super Bowl losses recently need to understand the Patriots defense is not NEARLY at the level they were back in the day.... Both of there recent Super-Bowl losses were on the defense not making a stand in the end... Brady has carried the Patriots for a long time now...

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Brady is awesome.... He's getting older now so everyone needs to give the guy a break, but his career has been epically good.... People judging him on some of the playoff losses and Super Bowl losses recently need to understand the Patriots defense is not NEARLY at the level they were back in the day.... Both of there recent Super-Bowl losses were on the defense not making a stand in the end... Brady has carried the Patriots for a long time now...

:10::10:: Just like Wilson people assume they inherited a great team. Obviously you need a really good to great D and some weapons on O but the General is the most important. I didnt see Seattle beating the drums before Wilson and Brady took over the 5-11 and 0-2 team and its not like Bledsoe was some scrub, he was their franchise QB. Big kudos to BB and Carroll to go with gut feelings and keeping Brady in and replacing Flynn with that big new contract with Wilson. Not sure about move in SF with Kap with Smith

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree on one of the Super Bowls but not both. The first of the 2 Super Bowl losses to the Giants the defense held them to 17 points. If you told me the Patriots defense would only give up 17 points in that game I would have taken them every day of the week. They had a historical offense that year that should have been able with all those playmakers to do more (now realize I think the same thing about the Broncos this past Super Bowl so don't go thinking I'm being hypocritical). The 2nd Super Bowl they allowed 21 points which again I would hope the offense that averaged 32 points a game in the regular season could beat that but I can understand as well not putting all the blame on the offense in that one.

Yes the defense in both of those games gave up the late points but there was more that happened during the rest of the game where the offense just did nothing that cost them the game at the very least as much as giving up the late points.

Just like in week 3 of the Broncos/Seattle game I don't put the loss of that game on the defense fully. Yes they gave up the touchdown in overtime but for most of the game they had held Seattle and gave the Bronco offense quite a few chances to do something and they didn't.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats not a fact btw when your score under 17 points in most playoff games and as low is 3 is that your D failing you. How did he routinely outperform him? From 01-05 Pats D was much better no q?

He has outperformed Brady in all statistical categories. Pick one. Any individual statistic. Manning has been better.

I know the Patriots defense deteriorated, but not for the first two SBs.

As soon as Brady's defense was mediocre, like what Manning had to deal with, Brady stopped winning Super Bowls too.

JasonCarrier

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has outperformed Brady in all statistical categories. Pick one. Any individual statistic. Manning has been better.

I know the Patriots defense deteriorated, but not for the first two SBs.

As soon as Brady's defense was mediocre, like what Manning had to deal with, Brady stopped winning Super Bowls too.

In his career Manning has had a top 10 defense in either yards or ppg 8 times.

2 of those were top 10 in both and another 2 missed by less then 10 yards.

So he has been in the league 15 seasons (off the top of my head)

That is over 50% of the time.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on one of the Super Bowls but not both. The first of the 2 Super Bowl losses to the Giants the defense held them to 17 points. If you told me the Patriots defense would only give up 17 points in that game I would have taken them every day of the week. They had a historical offense that year that should have been able with all those playmakers to do more (now realize I think the same thing about the Broncos this past Super Bowl so don't go thinking I'm being hypocritical). The 2nd Super Bowl they allowed 21 points which again I would hope the offense that averaged 32 points a game in the regular season could beat that but I can understand as well not putting all the blame on the offense in that one.

Yes the defense in both of those games gave up the late points but there was more that happened during the rest of the game where the offense just did nothing that cost them the game at the very least as much as giving up the late points.

Just like in week 3 of the Broncos/Seattle game I don't put the loss of that game on the defense fully. Yes they gave up the touchdown in overtime but for most of the game they had held Seattle and gave the Bronco offense quite a few chances to do something and they didn't.

Both games though New England's D could a won the game on last minute drives by New York.... Obviously the Pats O didn't flow like usual because the Giants defense was playing fantastic football in both those playoff runs they had... But even so the games were in the balance both times and the Pats D failed to get the big stop to wrap it up.... There was no question New Yorks D at that time was at a level much higher than the Pats... Brady still did his part though and gave them a good chance to win it.... The Pats have just never had a defense like there Super Bowl teams back in day.... They had some marquee talent on the defensive side...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his career Manning has had a top 10 defense in either yards or ppg 8 times.

2 of those were top 10 in both and another 2 missed by less then 10 yards.

So he has been in the league 15 seasons (off the top of my head)

That is over 50% of the time.

Actually this is his 17th season. I guess if you don't want to count his season that he missed 16 games you could say he has played 15 full seasons with this being his 16th actually played.

How those defenses did in the regular season though has no bearing on how they did then in the playoffs. Say a defense only gives up 17 points during the regular season on average but then in the playoffs decides to lay an egg and give up 38 how does that matter that he had a top-10 defense?

Look at Brady's Super Bowls...His first one in 3 games the defense never gave up more than 17 points. Manning is something like 75-3 when his defense holds the opposing team to 17 points or less. I'm pretty sure Manning could have won those games just as much as Brady.

In 2003 I will give it to Brady as the defense did have a bad game in the Super Bowl giving up 29 points and Brady was instrumental in that team winning. The games leading up to it though they gave up only 14 points in both of them. Again games I think Manning wins if his defense plays at that kind of level.

Brady's teams had both Brady usually play pretty well and the defense step up. It usually takes the whole team rising to the occasion to win the Super Bowl not just one player. Manning overall has better stats than that of Brady for the playoffs but it doesn't matter if he tosses for 300 yards and 3 touchdowns in a game if his defense gives up 4 touchdowns.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both games though New England's D could a won the game on last minute drives by New York.... Obviously the Pats O didn't flow like usual because the Giants defense was playing fantastic football in both those playoff runs they had... But even so the games were in the balance both times and the Pats D failed to get the big stop to wrap it up.... There was no question New Yorks D at that time was at a level much higher than the Pats... Brady still did his part though and gave them a good chance to win it.... The Pats have just never had a defense like there Super Bowl teams back in day.... They had some marquee talent on the defensive side...

Brady did his part? On what planet is a quarterback having a quarterback rating in a game of 53.8 them doing their job? Yes Brady marched them down to score the go ahead touchdown late in the game but he was just as much a part of the problem of them doing nothing for 3 quarters to put the team in that kind of situation.

Again the 2nd Super Bowl against the Giants I will give Brady credit where it is due in he played a pretty decent game. But that first Super Bowl Brady laid an egg as did the whole offense. That defense played a good enough game that they should have had that game wrapped up before the 4th quarter started. Here is a helpful part of the equation for you...The Patriots only had the ball for 23 minutes of the game. Eventually a defense does wear out a bit when they have to be on the field for an extended time.