• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB Cam Newton reaches 1-year deal with Patriots

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7+ million. I guess he’s the man.
Really?

Image_from_iOS__1_.jpg

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Officially the Patriots had $1.3M left under the cap. I can't find a single cut. If Newton was signed for $7.5M then there had to be a blood trail.

The quickest way to pick up $6M would be to cut Marcus Cannon.

They cannot sign Newton Unless they have the cap space, they can't can't sign him and the make cuts.

Who's gone????

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That said this is a baffling signing on the heels of an off-season seemingly almost entirely geared toward building around a 1st year QB.

And where is the cap space for a team with $655k in room coming from?

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the shoulder and foot have healed he could be good.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated it too.
Until I read it is all incentives to fit under the cap.
That changed my mind to a really dislike this signing.

I do think he is an upgrade over Hoyer.
So you feel at this time it's Stidham's job? Because if he is the back up not sure he is a better option than Hoyer. Hoyer knows this system and it's complicated! Although I do feel we might see a lot different a system then we had with TB12.

Last edited:

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s either Cam 1 Stidham 2 or Stidham 1 Hoyer 2, IMO. They won’t keep Cam as Stidham’s backup.
Why? For as little as they paid him he would be best as back up, only way he makes big money is through incentive. I think the push here is that NE is about to get away from strictly pocket passer mode, I suspect you are going to see a lot more Run Pass Option because both Stidham and Cam are mobile QBs. This being said Hoyer could be odd man out.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he’s not ready mentally to concede his QB1 status and serve as a veteran mentor. Hoyer is a much more suitable backup if Stidham is the starter.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he’s not ready mentally to concede his QB1 status and serve as a veteran mentor. Hoyer is a much more suitable backup if Stidham is the starter.
It's not about what he is ready to do, its what the team wants him to do. And if the team is ready to go to more RPO mobile QBs make more sense. Now if he can beat out Stidham then hey happy happy I guess

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you feel at this time it's Stidham's job? Because if he is the back up not sure he is a better option than Hoyer. Hoyer knows this system and it's complicated! Although I do feel we might see a lot different a system then we had with TB12.
Hard to say.
Stidham has a year with Skippy Mcd and the Pats that Cam does not.
Stidham does not have an injury history.
Stidham does not have an MVP.
Stidham does not have playoff experience.
Stidham can move better than Brady, but not as well as a pre-injury Cam.
I just feel like Cam is a 1 million dollar workout. First he has to beat Hoyer, then he needs to beat Stiddy.
$1 mil for a former MVP is dirt cheap. It's almost charity to bring him in and give him a chance at this point, it's not about the money, it's about prove you can still play.
Hoyer knows the system, but if Stiddy goes down Hoyer is not going to carry us to the promised land.
A healthy Cam? Yeah. Seriously, yes he could.
But if the foot fails, or the shoulder fails...see yah!!!

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would have bet he wasn't $1 mil mentally ready yet either. But this far into the off season, he bit the bullet.