• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Prospects. 2019 edition.

rightstuff

Trump convicted on Washing Money.LOL.
Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Lookout Landing,

#1 Kelenic
#2 Rodriquez
#3 Sheffield
#4 White

What are the thoughts on these dudes.

Me, I personally LOVE it.

rightstuff

Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12 views yet ZERO responses.

Thoughts on Kelenic and Rodriquez being two stud ML OF'ers. By 2021.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This quote from Mariners Director of Player Development Andy McKay made me feel a little more optimistic about Lewis:

“Kyle was arguably the best player in that (2016) draft. When you have injuries like this, it’s just time. That’s all it is. You’re waiting for the body to heal, but you’re also waiting for the mind to heal and that’s part of getting over that injury and trusting it."

LL’s Top 50 Mariners Prospects for 2019

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

#1 Kelenic
#2 Rodriquez
#3 Sheffield
#4 White

I think their list is pretty good to be honest. I really like White, hes been one of my favorite picks we have made.

WindyCityCoug

Fat Stacks Bitches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelenic is gonna be a star, a big time star. The M's and fans will be loving him in 2 to 3 years.

The Mets will regret that deal years from now, even with diaz and Cano now, but they will never win with those 2 guys now anyways.

Kelenic has that IT factor. I live near IL/ WI state line, not far from where he played in HS at Waukesha, and he is a legend in these parts.
He is intense, a hard worker, a born leader and an amazing talent.

Do not be upset people, but some are hinting of a comparison of a similar young HS kid from south Jersey 8 or 9 years ago, that went in round 1, but later in the early 20's of 1st. That kid from Jersey had the same traits, the same leadership and talent, too. These comparisons will be discussed more and more next couple years.

Baseball insiders in the midwest will be watching closely Jarred, as he develops into a star.
He is the real deal, as he rockets up the Prospect rankings the next 2 years.
I am excited for the M's, as after 15 years of misery, we deserve something positive for NW fans.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I just want someone new to come out from the farm and have a new face emerge for the franchise. Felix Hernandez is done maybe Mitch Haniger could have a monster season and represent us in the all star game. Even though we arent going to make the playoffs because this is a throw away season I really am excited to see a young player have a solid season

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

#1 Kelenic
#2 Rodriquez
#3 Sheffield
#4 White

They took a bit of an unorthodox approach to their rankings, which I respect and I believe that they provided apt justification for.

I absolutely love Kelenic and wouldn't be surprised to see him absolutely sky rocket in industry top-100 rankings in the future.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think their list is pretty good to be honest. I really like White, hes been one of my favorite picks we have made.

I like him a lot as well. Most of the write-ups I've seen about him have him as a perennial gold glover at 1B and he has made some adjustments with his swing that have allowed him to generate more power which helps him overall as a prospect.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I'm bored, here are where various websites rank the Mariners top prospects. Worth noting that some consider Kikuchi as a prospect, others don't. Numbers in parenthesis are the overall rankings for the player:

The Athletic:
1. Yusei Kikuchi, LHP (#24)
2. Justus Sheffield, LHP (#44)
3. Jarred Kelenic, OF (#52)
4. Evan White, 1B (#90)
5. Julio Rodriguez, OF (#92)
6. Justin Dunn, RHP (#151)

MLB.com:
1. Justus Sheffield, LHP (#43)
2. Jarred Kelenic, OF (#56)
3. Justin Dunn, RHP (#91)

Fangraphs:
1. Justus Sheffield, LHP (#60)
2. Yusei Kikuchi, LHP (#74)
3. Jarred Kelenic, OF (#84)
4. Justin Dunn, RHP (#89)
5. Evan White, 1B (#90)
6. Shed Long, 2B (#132)

Baseball Prospectus:
1. Justus Sheffield, LHP (#50)
2. Jarred Kelenic, OF (#63)

ESPN (Keith Law):
1. Justus Sheffield, LHP (#34)
2. Jared Kelenic, OF (#38)
3. Justin Dunn, RHP (#58)

That's all I could dig up on websites I either have a subscription is free, or I could find the info for. Baseball America was the one I couldn't find the rankings for, but apparently there were four players listed in their top 100.

rightstuff

Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I'm bored, here are where various websites rank the Mariners top prospects. Worth noting that some consider Kikuchi as a prospect, others don't. Numbers in parenthesis are the overall rankings for the player:

The Athletic:
4. Evan White, 1B (#90)

MLB.com:

Fangraphs:
5. Evan White, 1B (#90)
6. Shed Long, 2B (#132)

Baseball Prospectus:

ESPN (Keith Law):

That's all I could dig up on websites I either have a subscription is free, or I could find the info for. Baseball America was the one I couldn't find the rankings for, but apparently there were four players listed in their top 100.

Thanks for that list.

I, like most, haven't seen Rodriquez play, but from what I've read, he could be the real deal.
A future MLB Star. Time will tell.

I also like everything I read about Kelenic, but I also liked the reviews on Snelling and Ackley.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Athletic:
4. Evan White, 1B (#90)

MLB.com:

Fangraphs:
5. Evan White, 1B (#90)
6. Shed Long, 2B (#132)

Baseball Prospectus:

ESPN (Keith Law):

Baseball America:

#27 Justus Sheffield
#45 Yusei Kikuchi
#68 Jared Kelenic
#100 Evan White

Best Tools
  • Best Hitter for Average: Jarred Kelenic
  • Best Power Hitter: Joey Curletta
  • Best Strike-Zone Discipline: Eric Filia
  • Fastest Baserunner: Ian Miller
  • Best Athlete: Kyle Lewis
Couldn't get all because a membership is needed

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for that list.

I, like most, haven't seen Rodriquez play, but from what I've read, he could be the real deal.
A future MLB Star. Time will tell.

I also like everything I read about Kelenic, but I also liked the reviews on Snelling and Ackley.

Lookout Landing really likes him. I don't pretend to be a baseball scout as I understand the intricacies of football a lot better than I do with baseball.

Here is what they have to say about him:

LL’s Top 50 Mariners Prospects 2019: #2 - Julio Rodriguez

Also here is a scouting report on Julio from MLB.com (which has him as the Mariners #5 prospect). A little preface in case whoever reading this is unfamiliar with the numerical grades; 50 is considered to project as league average. They grade on a 20-80 scale. Although 80 is the best grade they give, the #1 prospect Vladimir Guerrero Jr. an overall grade of 70 and many consider him to be a generational type talent at the plate.

"Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 55 | Run: 45 | Arm: 55 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50

Ramirez was in the top 10 of MLB Pipeline's Top 30 international prospect list for the 2017-18 signing period and the Mariners wasted no time, signing the outfielder for $1.75 million on the first day of the period. His pro debut in 2018 in the Dominican Summer League, when he posted a .929 OPS, has the organization very excited to see what he can do state side.

There might not be a prospect with more upside, albeit with risk, in the Mariners' system than Rodriguez. He has the chance to be an impact run-producing bat, one who hits for average and power. He has an advanced approach at the plate, especially given his age, and has displayed excellent raw power from the get-go. Rodriguez has changed tremendously physically -- in a good way -- since he signed and is now a physical beast, one the organization thinks might have 70 raw power. While he might lose a step as he continues to mature, he's athletic enough for a corner outfield spot with an arm suitable for right.

At one point, there was some concern Rodriguez would be the kind of large-framed prospect who would have to watch his weight. He's both physically and mentally developed over the offseason with the chance for him to make a huge leap forward during his United States debut in 2019."

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball America:

#27 Justus Sheffield
#45 Yusei Kikuchi
#68 Jared Kelenic
#100 Evan White

Best Tools
  • Best Hitter for Average: Jarred Kelenic
  • Best Power Hitter: Joey Curletta
  • Best Strike-Zone Discipline: Eric Filia
  • Fastest Baserunner: Ian Miller
  • Best Athlete: Kyle Lewis
Couldn't get all because a membership is needed

Thanks for that. That completes most of the major mainstream sources so if anyone needs a primer on where the Mariners stand, it can all be found on the first page of this thread.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like him a lot as well. Most of the write-ups I've seen about him have him as a perennial gold glover at 1B and he has made some adjustments with his swing that have allowed him to generate more power which helps him overall as a prospect.
Yeah, i remember hearing during one of the games that White's velocity off the bat was one of the best in the minors but the hits were on the ground or liners. It's kinda a launch angle thing with him, so if he is trying to hit the ball in the air a little more we might see him get a few more homers. He is one of the prospects im most excited about.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, i remember hearing during one of the games that White's velocity off the bat was one of the best in the minors but the hits were on the ground or liners. It's kinda a launch angle thing with him, so if he is trying to hit the ball in the air a little more we might see him get a few more homers. He is one of the prospects im most excited about.

I’ve never seen him play yet but someone down there said he reminds him a lot John Olerud with his game. Obviously he’s not to the level Olerud was at that age but if that’s his upside with his overall game then that is solid.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its exciting to finally have prospects to look forward to seeing their development. We had a few here and there like Dustin Ackley/Justin Smoak, Taijuan Walker/Mike Zunino etc but this is more in bulk, nobody has mentioned Logan Gilbert our 1st round pick last season

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Athletic:
4. Evan White, 1B (#90)

MLB.com:

Fangraphs:
5. Evan White, 1B (#90)
6. Shed Long, 2B (#132)

Baseball Prospectus:

ESPN (Keith Law):

I personally am stoked about the prospects Dip has sought after and acquired... On paper, it looks like he did an amazing job getting this talent... Let's just hope it translates onto the field...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm really excited about him too.

So far he has actually exceeded expectations and has really improved a lot at the plate. With how prominent the shift is in MLB, having a guy with his athletic ability at 1B could emphasize defensive value at 1B.

He's also a really interesting prospect overall. He's a first baseman that looks like he could steal 10-20 bases and provide great defensive value. You don't hear "five-tool player" associated with a first baseman much, but he could fit that label.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally am stoked about the prospects Dip has sought after and acquired... On paper, it looks like he did an amazing job getting this talent... Let's just hope it translates onto the field...

I know some were hoping for a bigger haul on some of these deals, but I have to say I'm quite enamored by Jarred Kelenic. I'm generally the type to not take the extreme position, but I could really see him catapulting himself to being a top 20 prospect by the end of the season if he stays healthy.

Julio Rodriguez is another guy who is really trending up and is generating attention.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really excited about him too.

So far he has actually exceeded expectations and has really improved a lot at the plate. With how prominent the shift is in MLB, having a guy with his athletic ability at 1B could emphasize defensive value at 1B.

He's also a really interesting prospect overall. He's a first baseman that looks like he could steal 10-20 bases and provide great defensive value. You don't hear "five-tool player" associated with a first baseman much, but he could fit that label.
I agree, Its fun to watch him in ST and I he is knocking at the door maybe 2020 he gets a shot in the majors. Good stuff.

One of the things I think of when looking at prospects is their eta to the majors and guys like Kelenic are still a long ways off.