• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

prospect watch

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seems the sharks prospects in jr's are looking pretty good.

Michael Sgarbossa and phil varone are dominating the OHL with 12 pts in 4 games, and 13 pts in 6 games respectively, good for 2nd and 3rd overall in the OHL.

Freddie hamilton has 4 pts in 4 games too.

JP anderson gave up 1 goal total in 4 games.

Thomas Heemskerk just lost but he was 2.52, .930 save %.

Merek viedensky has 5 pts in 6 games in the WHL and D sena acolatse had 7 pts in 4 games despite losing.

Seems like the sharks main prospects are performing nicely thus far in the PO's. Obviously, this year is intriguing with the big sharks, but I personally always like to stay up on who is coming and how next year is shaping up...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sold on Heemskerk at all, i think he might be another Sexsmith and basically a filler for the minor league system in the ECHL

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sold on Heemskerk at all, i think he might be another Sexsmith and basically a filler for the minor league system in the ECHL

Don't know about him ever being an NHLer, but Heemskerk is definitely better than Sucksmith.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Don't know about him ever being an NHLer, but Heemskerk is definitely better than Sucksmith.

JP Anderson won the prospect of the month from HF, so that still bodes nicely for the future in net and makes heemskerk less important, particularly with sateri and stalock still in the immediate wings. Anderson is younger, so he'll have another year or two in the OHL before going pro, so his emergence should come right at the correct time for the pipeline.

Phil Varone was the #1 runner up for OHL POTW and Sgarbossa was OHL top POTM for March, so that looks good up front regarding ray whitney type speed players.

Coyle won hockey east ROTY, so that looks good for the power forward type.

And of course viedensky is going pro after leading saskatoon and freddie hamilton continues being quite effective, so the forward depth looks nice...

At least there appear to be some forwards on the horizon who might be NHL material. That will prove very very important as the big 2 will be 32 next year, and may only have a couple more good years ahead of them.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jp has been spoke of highly since the world jrs and alot of people after shocked he didn't play for canaduh. only thing that worries me is that pee air mcquirre likes him which is usually the kiss of suck

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
JP Anderson won the prospect of the month from HF, so that still bodes nicely for the future in net and makes heemskerk less important, particularly with sateri and stalock still in the immediate wings. Anderson is younger, so he'll have another year or two in the OHL before going pro, so his emergence should come right at the correct time for the pipeline.

Phil Varone was the #1 runner up for OHL POTW and Sgarbossa was OHL top POTM for March, so that looks good up front regarding ray whitney type speed players.

Coyle won hockey east ROTY, so that looks good for the power forward type.

And of course viedensky is going pro after leading saskatoon and freddie hamilton continues being quite effective, so the forward depth looks nice...

At least there appear to be some forwards on the horizon who might be NHL material. That will prove very very important as the big 2 will be 32 next year, and may only have a couple more good years ahead of them.

I wouldn't expect to see much, if anything, of Varone at the NHL level. I think he'll end up like Ryan Vesce, great in the minors just not enough skill to overcome his size deficiency. I think he's listed at 5'10 185 but he's closer to 5'8 and 160lbs.

The best thing Freddie Hamiltion could do for the Sharks is entice his brother Dougie to play for them. As for Freddie himself, he's not much different from Ferriero or McGinn in his overall skill level.

Viedensky is an over-ager this year so his stats at the CHL level can be a bit misleading. He has the potintial to be a Martin Hanzal type quality 3rd/4th line shutdown center.

Sgarbossa, if he can pack on some muscle and learn to consistantly keep his head in the game, has the potential to be a very good goal scoring forward at the NHL level.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWI, from teh ESPN insider article posted today discussing the past couple drafts:

It's too early to start to name any winners from the last couple of drafts -- call me back in three to five years. That said, some teams have prospects in the pipeline whose stock has taken a significant spike up since their selection. According to a sample of NHL scouts contacted this week, nobody fared better than San Jose in getting good value from their picks.

And then, details about the Sharks:

The Sharks defied the odds by landing on this list because they only had one first-round pick in the two-year period. Scouts I talked to liked one of San Jose's second-rounders in the 2009 draft: Taylor Doherty, a 6-foot-8 defenseman with Kingston of the OHL, who was picked No. 57 overall that year.

One scout said, "I didn't like him much in his draft year but he's going to play. He's a big guy who actually handles the puck pretty well. He'll have to fill out but that's just a matter of time. He doesn't have as much offensive skill as he likes to think sometimes, but that's not such a bad thing. He's confident rather than tentative. If you get someone at 57 and it looks like he has a shot to be a top-four D-man, you've done a real good job."

As good as that pick was, the 2010 draft was even better for the Sharks. Their first-rounder, Charlie Coyle, was on the radar last June, but it was hard to get a read on him in the EJHL. He is squarely on the radar after his play at BU and at the WJC.

One scout said, "I was really impressed with his skating and his skills set. I thought he was outstanding at the U-20s. I see him as a wing more than a center but he's only just starting to tap into his game. If you were to do the draft over, I'm sure he'd pass ten guys on the list at a minimum."

The player who has really come from off the pace, though, is last year's No. 129, Niagara (OHL) center Freddie Hamilton. Hamilton put up 38 goals and 45 assists in 68 regular season games this year.

One scout said, "It kills me to think that he was still around and we passed over him a bunch of times. A hell of a pick -- no worse than No. 50 if you were to do the draft over and he'd be ahead of guys who went in the first round."

Hamilton happens to be the older, but smaller, brother of Niagara defenseman Dougie Hamilton, who's a projected top-10 pick this year.

Not trying to disagree with anything anyone wrote... Just posting what ESPN has for those who can't read it.

Last edited by a moderator: