• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Prioritizing Needs

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have needs in a variety of positions/spots across the roster, WR,CB,S LB, OT, C, back-up QB.

Hard to imagine that we could address all of those positions meaningfully in FA/Draft. If you're spending $17mm for Jones you haven't got much left for other positions so....

Keeping in mind that the odds of getting a useful starter after the second round are about 20% which positions should we spend FA money, draft capital to ensure we've solved those issues.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB and WR in free agency are the priority. The 1st two picks should be WR and CB. After that, attack the positions you listed. The exception is if we part with multiple picks to move up for Ruggs.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm spending big money on Jones ... if I can get him for 17 mil per year I'm all about it. For starters, our starting outside CB's right now are Syd Jones who has not been able to get back to his his college self after the injury and Rasul Douglas who has proven to not be able to stick with fast receivers. So, we don't have 1 starting caliber outside Corner on the team. Our 2 options are the draft or free agency ... Corner is one of the hardest positions to hit on in the draft unless you get the top guy and Jeff Okudah is not dropping to 21. The chance of snagging 2 starting Corners in one draft is extremely difficult (plus they go through growing pains). So we have to look at free agency ... we either overpay for one of the two top guys (Jones or Bradbury) or we overpay for mediocre guys or older Corners who are best in the slot (Chris Harris). Either way we are overpaying ... so why not overpay for at least one guy who will be a significant upgrade in Byron Jones? Plus the Cap is scheduled to go up 20% next season ... so in a way, getting Jones "this" off-season for 17 mil will look like a bargain in 2021 when the top FA Corners are asking for 22 mil. That's why Dak Prescott has no problem playing under the Franchise tag this year as he can get 38 mil per year next season as opposed to the 33 the Cowpies are offering him this year ... the Pokes made a huge mistake in not locking him up early like we did with Wentz.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m spending the money in Jones. Perhaps a few more modest size deals for guys that could come in, gel and contribute. Thinking the rest of the D aside from CB with those.

Address rest of defense and offense need (including at least 1-2 WRs and a future Jenkins replacement) in draft.

Yes, only so many resources.....but it has to be started addressing somewhere. And I say start it at Jones.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB and WR in free agency are the priority. The 1st two picks should be WR and CB. After that, attack the positions you listed. The exception is if we part with multiple picks to move up for Ruggs.
I agree with this.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB and WR are clearly our 2 biggest needs ... if we can kill one of those 2 birds in free agency it opens things up where we can make a trade up for one of those 3 top receivers in the draft. Maybe trade a 3rd and a 4th (we have 2 3rd's and 3 4th's) plus a 2nd in 2021 to move up to 11 and swap with the Jets where we can get Henry Ruggs or even one of Jeudy/Lamb if someone takes Ruggs earlier.

Another guy I'd love to snag in free agency is LB
Nick Kwiatkoski formerly of the Bears. Stepped in well as a starter for a few games and showed well; plays both the run and the pass well, so he can stay in there all 3 downs. He's only 26 years old and can step right in to Nigel Bradham's spot at a value price.

I'd be very cool with an off season of Byron Jones, Henry Ruggs and Nick Kwiatkowki as our main gets. Lets say the 17 mil for Jones, around 5 for Kwiatkowski would still leave us around 17 mil from the 42 in space we have (took 3 out mil for draft picks). Rework something out with Jenkins (2 mil show up bonus) ... drops it down to 15. The Eagles can save an extra 2.1 mil under the cap by trading Rasul Douglas ... if we can snag Byron Jones we can trade Douglas for say a 6th rounder and gain that extra cap space. So now we're back up over 17 mil for free agents. That's plenty to add value vets to round out our depth. The rest can be added through the draft ... even after the Ruggs trade up, we still have left a 2nd, 3rd, two 4ths, two 5ths and two 6ths (assuming Rasul trade for a 6th).

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all good.

With the NBA suspending the rest of the season, I wonder if this will have any effect on the Draft process.
All the high schools, and many colleges up here are closing. CORONAVIRUS!!!

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all good.

With the NBA suspending the rest of the season, I wonder if this will have any effect on the Draft process.
All the high schools, and many colleges up here are closing. CORONAVIRUS!!!

Really a huge problem ... not as much for healthy people between 10-50 who are in relatively good health; they can withstand it if infected like a bad flu. The problem is that anyone affected can carry it to the elderly, overweight or people with compromised immune systems (i.e. cancer) where it becomes a much bigger problem to survive. I think this gets a whole lot worse before it gets better.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant 2 different things. I should have separated the two statements. When I said this is all good, I was referring to Rey's analysis.
The info regarding the virus, etc, it was just reporting the news about the sports teams suspending seasons, and so on. I hope that this doesn't delay the Draft, etc.
My bad.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Secondary and receiver is the top priority this year in the draft.

You take you first three round picks and target just those positions, ( easy to say when a big ole defensive lineman slides and is sitting there)

Then you play the big board for rounds 4 to 7 and take best available need/want/ to continue to push the youth movement on the roster

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant 2 different things. I should have separated the two statements. When I said this is all good, I was referring to Rey's analysis.
The info regarding the virus, etc, it was just reporting the news about the sports teams suspending seasons, and so on. I hope that this doesn't delay the Draft, etc.
My bad.

Heard some chatter on this today. The draft can easily be done remotely and without crowds. It would still be covered, we could still get the news.

I would imagine FA and resignings could follow the same tact and be done remotely. I guess the biggest impact of that is if GMs and personnel guys SUCK on the phone they will have some trouble winning out top players lol

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB and WR are clearly our 2 biggest needs ... if we can kill one of those 2 birds in free agency it opens things up where we can make a trade up for one of those 3 top receivers in the draft. Maybe trade a 3rd and a 4th (we have 2 3rd's and 3 4th's) plus a 2nd in 2021 to move up to 11 and swap with the Jets where we can get Henry Ruggs or even one of Jeudy/Lamb if someone takes Ruggs earlier.

Another guy I'd love to snag in free agency is LB
Nick Kwiatkoski formerly of the Bears. Stepped in well as a starter for a few games and showed well; plays both the run and the pass well, so he can stay in there all 3 downs. He's only 26 years old and can step right in to Nigel Bradham's spot at a value price.

I'd be very cool with an off season of Byron Jones, Henry Ruggs and Nick Kwiatkowki as our main gets. Lets say the 17 mil for Jones, around 5 for Kwiatkowski would still leave us around 17 mil from the 42 in space we have (took 3 out mil for draft picks). Rework something out with Jenkins (2 mil show up bonus) ... drops it down to 15. The Eagles can save an extra 2.1 mil under the cap by trading Rasul Douglas ... if we can snag Byron Jones we can trade Douglas for say a 6th rounder and gain that extra cap space. So now we're back up over 17 mil for free agents. That's plenty to add value vets to round out our depth. The rest can be added through the draft ... even after the Ruggs trade up, we still have left a 2nd, 3rd, two 4ths, two 5ths and two 6ths (assuming Rasul trade for a 6th).

This is a plan I fully endorse. I read up on something on Kwiatkoski a few weeks back and would be fully on board. I think its the right low risk/high rewards chance to take.

Also like the way you have broken out the numbers. I really have not gotten the concern that signing Jones would hamstring us to do much else this offseason. This is plenty of money for Howie to be at the table with.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have the cap room to sign Jones, Kwiatkowsi, and Perriman, or Sanders, or Anderson. Not a problem.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have the cap room to sign Jones, Kwiatkowsi, and Perriman, or Sanders, or Anderson. Not a problem.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a plan I fully endorse. I read up on something on Kwiatkoski a few weeks back and would be fully on board. I think its the right low risk/high rewards chance to take.

Also like the way you have broken out the numbers. I really have not gotten the concern that signing Jones would hamstring us to do much else this offseason. This is plenty of money for Howie to be at the table with.

Yep as soon as he off loads Jefferies and his salary

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are several free agents we have that will be coming back. Will those add to the amount of cap room?

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are several free agents we have that will be coming back. Will those add to the amount of cap room?

They would.

But you said several....who are you thinking of?

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I really wanted to know is, if any of our free agents leave, will that add to our cap room?

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I really wanted to know is, if any of our free agents leave, will that add to our cap room?

Nope. Free agents are not considered in the upcoming years cap to my knowledge, because they would have to be resigned with a team for some of the available cap of that team. Free agents carry no cap anywhere as they are free.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. DT
2. DE
3. WR
4. CB
5. S
6. CB