• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PRich and Shead Going

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured Richardson was gone too, but I thought they'd be keeping Shead with Lane and Sherm on the way out.

That leaves Shaq, Maxwell, and Coleman as the only guys with real experience.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang I really wanted Richardson to stick around. Guy was approaching a 1,000 yard season and was a 2nd round pick! Guess Seattle's just done with his injury issues and same for Shead. Good talent, but just can't find the field enough.

Seattle already had the lowest # of signed players in the NFL so they're going to have to be VERY active in a few days. Dying to see who they bring in..

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, no surprise to see P-Rich not re-signed. Highly unlikely to pay him, Baldwin, and Lockett (next year). So this more or less came down to a choice between him or TL. No guarantee that Lockett doesn't walk next year also, but there are bigger possibilities with him due to what he can bring in the return game.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, no surprise to see P-Rich not re-signed. Highly unlikely to pay him, Baldwin, and Lockett (next year). So this more or less came down to a choice between him or TL. No guarantee that Lockett doesn't walk next year also, but there are bigger possibilities with him due to what he can bring in the return game.

I expected Lockett to be a little more exciting in the return game honestly, maybe that injury set him back a bit in that area... He did seem like he gained a little steam later in the year though ,,,

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expected Lockett to be a little more exciting in the return game honestly, maybe that injury set him back a bit in that area... He did seem like he gained a little steam later in the year though ,,,
Yeah, he didnt have the best return year, but it certainly could be at least partially due to lingering effects from the injury. I think I would like to see him take another step forward as a WR in year 4 or I'm not sure things end for him here any different than it looks like they are for P-Rich.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has to be about the injury history with these two. It looks like they kept McDougald for safety depth, but we're pretty thin at corner now. We're definitely taking some corners in the draft now and I expect a free agent or two to be signed as well. I can't say that I expected this much of a rebuild on defense, but with all of the personnel decisions, injury uncertainties and coaching changes, it's almost a complete rebuild on that side of the ball now. There's still not a ton of money to go around, so I don't expect any big splashes, but it's going to be a very different looking defense this year even if the system doesn't change all that much.

edit: It just occurred to me that the Hawks got a receiver in the Bennett trade. It's possible that that had something to do with the decision to move on from Richardson. It might not have been the main reason, but I'm sure it helped make the decision easier.

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has to be about the injury history with these two. It looks like they kept McDougald for safety depth, but we're pretty thin at corner now. We're definitely taking some corners in the draft now and I expect a free agent or two to be signed as well. I can't say that I expected this much of a rebuild on defense, but with all of the personnel decisions, injury uncertainties and coaching changes, it's almost a complete rebuild on that side of the ball now. There's still not a ton of money to go around, so I don't expect any big splashes, but it's going to be a very different looking defense this year even if the system doesn't change all that much.

edit: It just occurred to me that the Hawks got a receiver in the Bennett trade. It's possible that that had something to do with the decision to move on from Richardson. It might not have been the main reason, but I'm sure it helped make the decision easier.

Well, so far all that's happened is we traded the oldest DL and cut the oldest DB. It's possible there are more changes coming to the core of the D, but that remains to be seen. Also, I don't think we'll have both a "complete rebuild" and not a lot of cap space to go around. Just cutting Sherm & Lane and trading MB has freed up around $17M. Cutting Avril would yield another $7M. So if we truly are on the verge of a huge rebuild on D, there's going to be a lot more cap room coming open as a result. You're still going to have Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, Jarran Reed, Frank Clark, probably ET, and maybe Sheldon Richardson, with jury still out on Kam Chancellor. Rookies S Griffin and Naz Jones looked good last year. That's still a decent amount of talent to get this thing going again.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is Richardson going to the Skins for 5 years $40M. Too bad, I really liked what Richardson did last season. That said, he's an injury risk, so I wont miss that.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is Richardson going to the Skins for 5 years $40M. Too bad, I really liked what Richardson did last season. That said, he's an injury risk, so I wont miss that.

Just sang his prasies to the Redskins fan base. Sucks he is leaving but better decision on his part

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Shead is going anywhere. They could have held him to the contract because of the injury but they let him shop around but they released him to let him look at fair market value. Graham's a domer and all of a sudden his hands turned into stone once he arrived. Now he's going to one of the most brutal venues as far as late season games go. Rodgers can have fun with that. He really wasn't much better than Luke Willson to tell you the truth.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Shead is going anywhere. They could have held him to the contract because of the injury but they let him shop around but they released him to let him look at fair market value. Graham's a domer and all of a sudden his hands turned into stone once he arrived. Now he's going to one of the most brutal venues as far as late season games go. Rodgers can have fun with that. He really wasn't much better than Luke Willson to tell you the truth.

I hope Shead comes back but it sounds like he's paying SF a visit.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Shead comes back but it sounds like he's paying SF a visit.

that's what I'm hearing, likely to play behind Sherman and Witherspoon unless he can cover the slot receiver. I know very little about the guy or how he was deployed by the Seahawks to know if he can cover a slot receiver. It also seems like most people on here would like to see him return so he has to be a solid player.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's what I'm hearing, likely to play behind Sherman and Witherspoon unless he can cover the slot receiver. I know very little about the guy or how he was deployed by the Seahawks to know if he can cover a slot receiver. It also seems like most people on here would like to see him return so he has to be a solid player.

He was solid, but lost a season and still not sure how his recovery has gone. He played mostly outside, and like Sherman was better against bigger receivers. He ran hot and cold - when he was playing good, he was really good - but when he was off he was awful (not Jeremy Lane awful, but he gave up some big plays). I'd rather have him back - especially if he can be as good as he was in 2016, but he's not so good that he isn't replaceable. Personally, I feel the desire to bring him back is as much the fact he knows the system and could possibly be inexpensive.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was solid, but lost a season and still not sure how his recovery has gone. He played mostly outside, and like Sherman was better against bigger receivers. He ran hot and cold - when he was playing good, he was really good - but when he was off he was awful (not Jeremy Lane awful, but he gave up some big plays). I'd rather have him back - especially if he can be as good as he was in 2016, but he's not so good that he isn't replaceable. Personally, I feel the desire to bring him back is as much the fact he knows the system and could possibly be inexpensive.

So as the back up to Sherman and Witherspoon he makes sense, not to mention the Niners are now running the same system as Seattle so it would be an easy transition for him.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So as the back up to Sherman and Witherspoon he makes sense, not to mention the Niners are now running the same system as Seattle so it would be an easy transition for him.

I would assume so, and since he missed almost all of 2017 I would think that any team that signed him would be looking at a short term "prove it" deal anyway. As such, I would think Shead should look to get on somewhere where he could have the chance at significant playing time so that he could try and make his bank after next season. JMO

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just sang his prasies to the Redskins fan base. Sucks he is leaving but better decision on his part

Meh, he's really just a role player when you boil it down. Even on a team that will throw it 40 times a game, I don't think he has the potential to be a #1. P-Rich made some great plays last year, but that was season 4 and I think it took way too long just to get to a 40 catch season. The health concerns are still there as well. Just like Salk is saying right now as I type this, "he's just a guy." Good for him on getting the $, but I'm glad we didn't pay that.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, he's really just a role player when you boil it down. Even on a team that will throw it 40 times a game, I don't think he has the potential to be a #1. P-Rich made some great plays last year, but that was season 4 and I think it took way too long just to get to a 40 catch season. The health concerns are still there as well. Just like Salk is saying right now as I type this, "he's just a guy." Good for him on getting the $, but I'm glad we didn't pay that.

Yah it would've been way too much to keep him, and I think the Skins overpaid. Rich seems like a good role player and situational guy. And of course just doesn't see enough of the field with his injury issues which I wouldn't be surprised if that resurfaces.

Here is WalterFootball's analysis. Seems about right:

Redskins sign WR Paul Richardson (5 years, $40 million): C- Grade
I don't like this signing. It just seems like a poor fit. The best I can explain it is having a Sega Saturn and then buying an HDMI cable for it even though there's no HDMI attachment for it.

Alex Smith, in this metaphor, is the Sega Saturn. He has some novelty, but he's not particularly good. He's an average quarterback who doesn't look to attack defenses deep on most occasions. Richardson, meanwhile, is this new technology that doesn't do much unless he's paired with something great, and even then, he can just be replaced with another HDMI cable.

I don't think Smith will be able to take advantage of Richardson's big-play ability very often, and there's no guarantee that Richardson will even flash his talents frequently in Washington, as he was very inconsistent in Seattle. Prior to 2017, he had never eclipsed 300 receiving yards in a season. He caught 44 balls for 703 yards and six touchdowns this past season, but that was with Russell Wilson, who happens to be a much better quarterback than Smith.

I don't want to say that this signing will definitely fail, but I'm not very optimistic. This appears to be another Terrelle Pryor-type move where the Redskins signed a receiver with just one year of positive output. The only difference is that Pryor was given just a 1-year deal with little risk. This is a long-term contract with plenty of downside!

Read more: 2018 NFL Free Agent Grades: WalterFootball.com

Read more at 2018 NFL Free Agent Grades: WalterFootball.com

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also thought it was a bit strange of a pairing with Alex Smith. He's a QB not really known for being all that interested in throwing down filed, and they sign a FA WR who is pretty much specialized in deeper routes. The whole thing just seems like a really Redskins thing to do.