• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pressure by Broncos Players

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read yesterday about someone saying something about Wolfe and sacks or his lack of, well, interesting little bit of tidbit for you from PFF:

"Denver Broncos: Tied for the most pressure so far on the team are Shaun Phillips, Robert Ayers and Derek Wolfe at 19 each. They each represent 14.5% of the team’s pressure. 30 of the 32 teams have at least two players that have made 14.5% of their team’s pressure, with ten teams having three." (Malik Jackson actually has a better pressure per pass attempt, but not as many pressures).

Pressures are just as important as sacks? First of all, a QB that is pressured will either do one of two things, scramble or throw the ball. Neither of these things are desirable.

First of all, scrambling, what does a QB do when he scrambles? He initially retreats, if he is then sacked, it is for usually for more yardage. Also, most (not all) QB's are less accurate on the move, it puts another factor into trying to complete a pass by also putting the QB's motion into the equation.

Second, the QB throws the ball. Most of the time if the QB is pressured, he is going to have to get rid of the ball before he wants to and/or before he is ready to, IE... feet are not set, he is moving, bad throwing motion. Incompletions or interceptions are usually the result of this.

Where am I going? Just because Wolfe does not have the sack numbers, does not mean he is not doing the job that the coaches want him to and if you look at the pressure numbers, you understand that he is actually doing his job.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said this before, but personally I think sacks, while nice, are overrated. Consistent pressure is far more important to a defense's success.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read yesterday about someone saying something about Wolfe and sacks or his lack of, well, interesting little bit of tidbit for you from PFF:

"Denver Broncos: Tied for the most pressure so far on the team are Shaun Phillips, Robert Ayers and Derek Wolfe at 19 each. They each represent 14.5% of the team’s pressure. 30 of the 32 teams have at least two players that have made 14.5% of their team’s pressure, with ten teams having three." (Malik Jackson actually has a better pressure per pass attempt, but not as many pressures).

Pressures are just as important as sacks? First of all, a QB that is pressured will either do one of two things, scramble or throw the ball. Neither of these things are desirable.

First of all, scrambling, what does a QB do when he scrambles? He initially retreats, if he is then sacked, it is for usually for more yardage. Also, most (not all) QB's are less accurate on the move, it puts another factor into trying to complete a pass by also putting the QB's motion into the equation.

Second, the QB throws the ball. Most of the time if the QB is pressured, he is going to have to get rid of the ball before he wants to and/or before he is ready to, IE... feet are not set, he is moving, bad throwing motion. Incompletions or interceptions are usually the result of this.

Where am I going? Just because Wolfe does not have the sack numbers, does not mean he is not doing the job that the coaches want him to and if you look at the pressure numbers, you understand that he is actually doing his job.

:10::agree:

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said this before, but personally I think sacks, while nice, are overrated. Consistent pressure is far more important to a defense's success.

They both are desirable. A sack usually means a loss of yardage. While throwing it away when hurried or pressured is just an incomplete. If it results in an INT, GREAT! But the occasional QB can make a play while srambling.

Remember that guy John Elway?

:clap:

FFSparky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

xBxtxDx, thanks for sharing! :agree:

Go Broncos! :suds:

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting..... would like to see how the Broncos compare to the rest of the league in this respect.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting..... would like to see how the Broncos compare to the rest of the league in this respect.

Not sure where to get it from except PFF and I do not have an account with them. Though, the Broncos as a team are top 10 in number of sacks with 17. KC is currently the leader with 31.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you watch Wolfe closely he on most plays is actually double teamed. My guess is with Von coming back you will see Wolfe have a dramatic improvement (by that I mean the sexy stats will start showing up) because he will get more one on one opportunities. I think pressure up the middle should greatly improve as well on 3rd down.

People who question this Broncos defense will feel silly here in a few weeks. This whole defense was designed around the idea of Von Miller getting pressure so when you are missing the most important piece it is hard to do as much as you would like as a defense.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you watch Wolfe closely he on most plays is actually double teamed. My guess is with Von coming back you will see Wolfe have a dramatic improvement (by that I mean the sexy stats will start showing up) because he will get more one on one opportunities. I think pressure up the middle should greatly improve as well on 3rd down.

People who question this Broncos defense will feel silly here in a few weeks. This whole defense was designed around the idea of Von Miller getting pressure so when you are missing the most important piece it is hard to do as much as you would like as a defense.

You also have to take into account that in most situations Del Rio also has the D Line 2 gapping to stop the run first and then pressure the QB if it is a passing situation.

HOF-ELWAY-7

Speed Kills
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that sacks don't mean all and pressures can be just effective. That said our pressure numbers are a bit deceiving. Even if you can time how long it takes a defensive player to get to the QB with a sun dial, it's still a pressure. There has been a number of times that QB's have had an eternity to throw. As a whole the pass D hasn't been all that good including getting to the QB. Again I think that's going to change starting this week.

I don't mean to be coming across as negative and critical of a 6-0 team. My point is that if the Pass D doesn't get better it could be problematic down the road. I also realize I'm bitching about rich people's problems. The bottom line is I'm thrilled with where we are and things are only going to get better.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that sacks don't mean all and pressures can be just effective. That said our pressure numbers are a bit deceiving. Even if you can time how long it takes a defensive player to get to the QB with a sun dial, it's still a pressure. There has been a number of times that QB's have had an eternity to throw. As a whole the pass D hasn't been all that good including getting to the QB. Again I think that's going to change starting this week.

I don't mean to be coming across as negative and critical of a 6-0 team. My point is that if the Pass D doesn't get better it could be problematic down the road. I also realize I'm bitching about rich people's problems. The bottom line is I'm thrilled with where we are and things are only going to get better.

No, you do have a legitimate point, but at the same time, most teams do have that exact same problem and yes, it should be better this weekend.

:yahoo:

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think everyone understands that. I just think it's premature to worry about because we've been missing Von. Now if we are having the same problems 6 games down the road with Von, then I think it will be time to worry.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:Losing 38-35 against the Ravens in the AFC Championship game is proof enough the defense has to be better then last year to win it all. With some guys getting healthy and another year by hopefully thats enough to win it all.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:Losing 38-35 against the Ravens in the AFC Championship game is proof enough the defense has to be better then last year to win it all. With some guys getting healthy and another year by hopefully thats enough to win it all.

No, it's simply proof that our defense must play better than it did in that playoff game. One single game does not represent a season's worth of work.

HOF-ELWAY-7

Speed Kills
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone understands that. I just think it's premature to worry about because we've been missing Von. Now if we are having the same problems 6 games down the road with Von, then I think it will be time to worry.

Hmm, I think that's exactly what I was saying.....