• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason Rankings 2012

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College Football Live's 2012 preseason top 25:

1. USC
2. LSU
3. Alabama
4. Oregon
5. Oklahoma
6. Georgia
7. Florida St.
8. South Carolina
9. Arkansas
10. Michigan
11. West Virginia
12. Michigan State
13. Kansas State
14. TCU
15. Stanford
16. Wisconsin
17. Nebraska
18. Clemson
19. Virginia Tech
20. Ohio State
21. Oklahoma State
22. Texas
23. Boise State
24. Notre Dame
25. Florida

The FSU hype machine is running smoothly again this year. Interesting that many teams who lost their top QB's are still ranked ahead of VT....Michigan State, Stanford, Wisconsin.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that most of the preseason rankings will have us between 15-22. This seems about right to me, as we are losing a lot of weapons on offense, and almost our entire offensive line. This is one of the years, and schedules, however that may me fee good about where we finish. Outside of Clemson and Florida State, nobody in the ACC concerns me too much. The GT game will be interesting because it is the opening game of the season, but I like the way our defense looks and think that even a mediocre offense will be able to rack up yards against them. I also feel good about it being a home opener. Pitt is a year away and has the worst quarterback in D1a, who may not survive the game against our D Line. They will get better but it is going to be a few years. Cincy does not worry me. I think that 10-2 or 11-1 are what we should expect, and 12-0 is not out of the realm of possibility. I don't know if we have the schedule to get into a NCG discussion, however. The schedule and the strengths of the teams that we play, however, set up nice for our offense to grow.

There are a lot of really good teams this year, though, so the preseason ranking seems about right to me.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College Football Live's 2012 preseason top 25:

1. USC
2. LSU
3. Alabama
4. Oregon
5. Oklahoma
6. Georgia
7. Florida St.
8. South Carolina
9. Arkansas
10. Michigan
11. West Virginia
12. Michigan State
13. Kansas State
14. TCU
15. Stanford
16. Wisconsin
17. Nebraska
18. Clemson
19. Virginia Tech
20. Ohio State
21. Oklahoma State
22. Texas
23. Boise State
24. Notre Dame
25. Florida

The FSU hype machine is running smoothly again this year. Interesting that many teams who lost their top QB's are still ranked ahead of VT....Michigan State, Stanford, Wisconsin.

Up until last year, the Clemson hype machine always brought a wry smile to my face. For the past ten years (definitely all through out the Bowden years) there's always some pre-season mag that would pick Clemson to go 10+ wins and win the ACC... and, up until last season, they would always go 8-5, 9-4, no matter how talented, experienced, hyped they might be.

Looks like the trend has moved onto FSU. I think I've seen them as the favorite to win the ACC in more than one preseason mag for at least the past five seasons.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we were 19 i think to start last year as well and went to a BCS bowl, even though we got embarrassed twice. i dont think anyone will score enough on us to beat us this year. (assuming we can find some way to stop clemson's O) how wvu put up 70 in one game, and we scored 13 in two games, I will never know. wvu got blown out by syracuse and lost to louisville.... didnt even win the big least out right

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn USC is going to be good this year. Well, as long as Kiffin doesn't fuck it up some how.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitt is a year away and has the worst quarterback in D1a, who may not survive the game against our D Line.

Hmm. What makes Sunseri the worst QB in D-1a? He cant be that bad if this is gonna be his 3rd year as starting QB. Is Ray Graham gonna be healthy? That's the guy i really worry about on Pitt. He's one of the best RBs in the nation.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is having their "round table" discussion on VT today on CFBL at 4et.

What I am expecting from this discussion... VT lost to Michigan and Clemson, VT has no Oline so LT is going to get creamed, VT has no RB, VT has no WR's, VT's defense should be "ok", VT is not in the SEC, the SEC is great, the SEC is almost like the NFL, the SEC put more players in the NFL, the SEC has won 6 MNCs, blah blah blah.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm. What makes Sunseri the worst QB in D-1a? He cant be that bad if this is gonna be his 3rd year as starting QB. Is Ray Graham gonna be healthy? That's the guy i really worry about on Pitt. He's one of the best RBs in the nation.

He might not be the worst, but having watched the backyard brawl last year (yes I know, small sample size), I think he should be in the discussion. He looked AWFUL.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might not be the worst, but having watched the backyard brawl last year (yes I know, small sample size), I think he should be in the discussion. He looked AWFUL.

Every QB has a horrible game every now and then. Logan Thomas played so bad in the first Clemson game that some of Hokie Nation was calling for Leal.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Like every season, I think it comes down to whether we can come out and gameplan/execute in every single game well enough on both sides of the ball. The only two teams that we play who we will need the whole package is Clemson and FSU.

Clemson lost a lot of their O-line and provided our defense stays deep and healthy (and our DB situation comes together), advantage VT defense

Their defensive backfield is very suspect. Our O-line is suspect -- push

FSU's offense is mediocre at best, their O-line is laughable .. but their defense should be very good .. We have them at home on a Thursday <-- advantage VT

We SHOULD beat the other teams we play. We are overall better than the other teams we play. The fact that so many teams get a bye-week to prep for us puts them at an advantage though, that's for sure.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Graham is the real deal and I felt terrible for him when he got hurt. If he is back at 100% he is going to be a tough one to deal with. Nobody up here understands why Sunseri is still starting. he has been absolutely awful in all of the big games. For a couple of seasons Jonathan baldwin bailed him out but he is just not very good.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham is the real deal and I felt terrible for him when he got hurt. If he is back at 100% he is going to be a tough one to deal with. Nobody up here understands why Sunseri is still starting. he has been absolutely awful in all of the big games. For a couple of seasons Jonathan baldwin bailed him out but he is just not very good.

Judging purely from an NCAA 2012 online league where I was forced to take either Pitt or WVU (ha, what choice is that really?)...

I concur with this assessment. I ended up being Paul Johnson of the Big East and Graham would have 400 yard games consistently. Pissed everyone else in the league off as Graham was the run (ha pun) away Heisman, Maxwell, etc, etc winner. I also used the run game to bleed the clock like a stone cold killer. I told the other players I was coaching/playing the team as any reasonable person would given the talent (or lack there of) of the team.

Sunseri sucks... even virtually. QB was the biggest/gravest recruiting need of the next two seasons.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
10 Teams That May End the SEC's National Title Streak | AthlonSports.com

For the very reason of the every-year FSU and Clemson hype, I think we can have the schedule to get into the NCG .. if VT runs the table .. I won't even start that discussion until November though. We play one TOTAL joke of a team and only because we couldn't find anyone else .. Not much more you can do than playing possibly the conference schedule + Pitt away + Cincy in DC.

Do you live in Pitt 46?? You should be able to get sweet seats on the cheap there from what I hear

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
FSU and Clemson are the only games that worry me although Cincinnati is an unknown to me. GT could give us trouble if the O-line is really bad. This years O-line is going to get better as the year goes along because of the experience factor. You couldn't expect that of last years line because they had already played together

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Did any of you watch the ESPN round table on VT today? There was a little bit that i would disagree with but overall it was a pretty good analysis (especially from ESPN).

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Shit I missed it. They will show it again I'm sure but you never know when

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did any of you watch the ESPN round table on VT today? There was a little bit that i would disagree with but overall it was a pretty good analysis (especially from ESPN).

Yea, it was only 75% gloom and doom which is less than I expected. Mark Schlabach is a fucking idiot, and I have no idea why anyone would even give him a paycheck. Everytime he speaks (even without mentioning VT) he proves how much of an idiot he is. Everyone around VT is wondering if this is the year that the 10-win streak is going to end??? Seriously??? How many people on here believe it is likely that the 10 win streak ends this year?

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, it was only 75% gloom and doom which is less than I expected. Mark Schlabach is a fucking idiot, and I have no idea why anyone would even give him a paycheck. Everytime he speaks (even without mentioning VT) he proves how much of an idiot he is. Everyone around VT is wondering if this is the year that the 10-win streak is going to end??? Seriously??? How many people on here believe it is likely that the 10 win streak ends this year?

I believe it will end because if ESPN says it, it must be true