• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason Game #4 Patriots vs NY Giants

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick hasn't done anything that we've expected him to do so far in the preseason. It's driving the media crazy and more than few fans are about start drink someone else's kool-aid.

I'm ot expecting to see any skill starters . Can't risk injuries. It will be the game for bubble players and some rookies to get BB and the coordinators' attention.

Nothing else to watch on Thursday except Big Brother. Big Brother will most likely be more entertaining.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect any skilled starter to get more than 2-3 snaps, if any

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick hasn't done anything that we've expected him to do so far in the preseason. It's driving the media crazy and more than few fans are about start drink someone else's kool-aid.

I'm ot expecting to see any skill starters . Can't risk injuries. It will be the game for bubble players and some rookies to get BB and the coordinators' attention.

Nothing else to watch on Thursday except Big Brother. Big Brother will most likely be more entertaining.

This is actually the game I like most. I like to see those on the edge guys put it all on the line in one last ditch effort.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep an eye on these players tonight.
By Bernd Buchmasser@BerndBuchmasser Aug 30, 2018, 8:00am EDT
Share Tweet Share
SharePreseason week 4 Patriots vs Giants: 6 players to watch during New England’s preseason finale
tweet share Reddit Pocket Flipboard Email
usa_today_11088138.0.jpg
Paul Rutherford-USA TODAY Sports
Later today, the New England Patriots will play their fourth and final preseason game of 2018. As usual during the last week of exhibition games, the majority of the Patriots’ starters and roster locks are not expected to play – clearing the way for players on the roster bubble to showcase their skills and value to the team one final time.

With that in mind, let’s take a look at six players to keep an eye on tonight:

Mike Gillislee: Will he make a final push for a roster spot?
After a mostly disappointing 2017 season, Mike Gillislee failed to show consistent progress in his second offseason in the Patriots’ system. As a result, he is currently fighting for his roster life against free agency addition Jeremy Hill – the better of the two running backs this summer. Could a late push by Gillislee make the battle interesting again? It will be hard, but not impossible depending on the ultimate performance.

Riley McCarron: Will he win the fourth wide receiver spot?
After the release of Kenny Britt and Eric Decker’s retirement, Riley McCarron founds himself on the verge of making New England’s roster as a depth wide receiver and punt returner. However, his spot on the team is not set in stone: the Patriots could still opt to bolster depth elsewhere or bring in outside reinforcements. A good performance tonight could therefore be crucial for the second-year man.

Ulrick John: Will he again be the first offensive tackle off the bench?
First-round rookie Isaiah Wynn tearing his Achilles opened the door for another offensive tackle to make the team. The battle for this appears to still be on, but offseason acquisition Ulrick John might have the best odds of winning it: during last week’s regular season “dress rehearsal”, he was the first offensive tackle off the bench. It will therefore be interesting to see how his role and performance look like tonight, and whether or not the game against the New York Giants could be an indicator for his future.

Vincent Valentine: Will he show his value as a rotational defensive tackle?
Having spent all of 2017 on injured reserve, Vincent Valentine had a rather quiet training camp and preseason and is consequently not guaranteed a spot on the 53-man team. A solid outing against New York – like he showed at times during his 2016 rookie season – could ultimately turn out to be crucial when it comes to him making the team as the fifth option at the defensive tackle position.

Marquis Flowers: Will he build momentum with roster cuts looming?
Like Valentine, Marquis Flowers also was rather quiet over the summer. He received increased playing time last week versus Carolina, but that does not definitely earn him a roster spot as a depth linebacker and special teamer. Flowers will still have to outperform his closest competition – Nicholas Grigsby – in order to make the team. Tonight is his final chance to do that and prove that his solid 2017 season was no fluke.

J.C. Jackson: Will he finally live up to the training camp hype?
Every training camp has its surprising performers, and this year’s is undrafted rookie cornerback J.C. Jackson. The Maryland product saw plenty of snaps with the starting defense and was active and competitive in team and one-on-one drills. His practice success has not yet led to in-game success, however. Tonight is therefore Jackson’s last chance to show the Patriots and other teams around the league that he is worth a roster spot.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally may get your revenge

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WRs are not playing well. Lucien has missed two and both should have been caught. The new guy Maye has been targeted twice and missed both.

Webb started at RB. He's been stuffed a couple of times, no thanks to the OL. He's had a couple of good solid runs for 4 or 5 yards. He's got a real chance.

Etling has been in from the start he throws a nice tight pass, but he gets a bit nervous. I still like him more than Hoyer.

Pats are playing just back ups and bubble babies. So are the Giants.

Pats defense looks very good.

JC Jackson just had an INT. Pats had to punt.

3-0 Patriots. First period just ended.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucien is playing his way to the street
Maye has made a couple of great snags and really turned his game around
Paul Turner sucks. Wide open and dropped two

Here's a name..................Lauletta. We talked endlessly about this kid before the draft. Giants took him in the fourth round. He looks like JG only better and he's a rookie. If the Giants try to sneak him through waivers, I'll bet my VA check that BB grabs him.

Ulrick John got hurt, leg injury.

The Giants lead this one at the half.......6-3. TD missed extra point

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JC Jackson just got his second INT. He's had three pass defenses to go with them This guy will be a starter in the Patriots secondary by mid-season.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Etling hits Maye for 45 to the one.

Etling tosses a one yarder to Ralph Webb Patriots up 10-6 in third.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Farrow is having a nice a game. Always seems to fall forward at 5'-9" and 219.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With under four minutes left in the game, Etling fakes the handoff and runs around right end for 86 yeards and a TD. That kid can run. 3:58 to go and the Pats are up17-6.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 thoughts.

Jackson looked good
We should cut Hoyer in favor of Etling!

Webb and Maye looked decent too.

Do any of these guys have a chance?

Agree but I'm not sure if any will stick? I'd like to see Webb stick around. All potential PS guys if they don't get snatched up.

Etling is quick that's for sure. But he looks jittery as hell. He definitely needs time to get comfortable back there. Not sure I'd keep him over Hoyer today. I think NE could win a few games with Hoyer back there, not so sure at this stage of his development they could with Etling.

Overall good game by the players most of us expected to see. No major injuries that I'm aware of? I know one player went out but haven't heard a status.

We're onto to week 1.

Good luck to all those kids that are told to turn in their playbooks before Saturday.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to bed....

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a name..................Lauletta. We talked endlessly about this kid before the draft. Giants took him in the fourth round. He looks like JG only better and he's a rookie. If the Giants try to sneak him through waivers, I'll bet my VA check that BB grabs him.

Please stop. 5.5 YPA and < 50% completion percentage. I like Lauletta, he has some tools to work with and could be a decent #2 some day, but he's not even in the same galaxy as JG. Jackson's two picks showed exactly the #1 shortcoming in Lauletta's game that we talked about endlessly...he just doesn't have enough arm to win downfield.

BTW, JG's preseason stats in 2014: 46/79 (58.2%), 618 yds (7.8 YPA), 5 TD 1 INT

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@globejimmcbride
23m23 minutes ago

#Patriots are trading safety Jordan Richards to the Falcons, according to a league source.

And there was much rejoicing!

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in CA so I didn't get to watch but I did watch the highlights as well as the press conferences. I hope the Etling dude makes the team. He made some good plays(a few bad ones too) and had a lot of energy. His press conference was fun to watch.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I look at the roster I can't see how Webb get's a RB spot even if it's a practice squad spot.