• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason Game #3 Patriots vs Carolina Panthers

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the games where we get to see who the coaches plan to start each game. It's also the game where a veteran can play himself off the starting line, into a backup role or completely off the team. It's also the game where a rookie or unknown can cement a position on the 53 man roster or practice squad or Look at the CFL or Arena Football. For some, it's time to look at awhole new way of making a living because football will no longer be an option after this week.

For Patriots fans, it's a chance to see something more than milk and cookies. This is Creme' Brulea and Tirimisu week.

This week we get to see if the defense can get to Cam Newton and take him to the ground or take the ball away. Can the secondary delay (no penalties please) the wide receivers or cover them long enough so that the QB makes a bad mistake.

This is a preseason game that really counts for something.

@018 Preseason:
Panthers beat the Bills 28-23, the they beat the Dolphins 27-20.

Guess this might be an indication of how competitive the AFC East may be.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the games where we get to see who the coaches plan to start each game. It's also the game where a veteran can play himself off the starting line, into a backup role or completely off the team. It's also the game where a rookie or unknown can cement a position on the 53 man roster or practice squad or Look at the CFL or Arena Football. For some, it's time to look at awhole new way of making a living because football will no longer be an option after this week.

For Patriots fans, it's a chance to see something more than milk and cookies. This is Creme' Brulea and Tirimisu week.

This week we get to see if the defense can get to Cam Newton and take him to the ground or take the ball away. Can the secondary delay (no penalties please) the wide receivers or cover them long enough so that the QB makes a bad mistake.

This is a preseason game that really counts for something.

@018 Preseason:
Panthers beat the Bills 28-23, the they beat the Dolphins 27-20.

Guess this might be an indication of how competitive the AFC East may be.
I was thinking the same thing. This will be a good test for the defense. Looking forward to this game.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game airs on NFLN Saturday morning at 6AM PST / 9AM EST.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a few random thoughts from the BK cheap seat.

Everyone knows that the third preseason game is the one that is critical for "Bubble" players. It's also critical for starters to play well and most important stay healthy.

"I" think that Julian Edelman should only play a couple of offensive series and critically, not the first two or three. He won't be on the field for the first four games and he shouldn't be out there for thr start of this one. The three or four guys who will be starting Week 1 should be out there so Brady isn't looking for his "normal" life preserver. Hogan, Dorsett, Patterson and Decker should be out there and someone has to really step up become the Edelman or Amendola.

If the Patriots are not looking to bring in a free agent WR, then Cody Hollister should be in the starting mix.

Gronk needs to get at least two, three and more series under his belt. No way should he be sitting on the bench taking selfies tonight.

Dwayne Allen and Will Tye should be alternating every offensive series and BB and JM should make it known to Brady that both of them need at least three or more opportunities that will determine their fate.

IF anyone can't get on the field tonight, then do something official and don't screw around. wo options and nothing else. IR or Cut 'em. No more wait and see.

I'm watching Boston Fox. They have five people sitting at two tables in Boston Common. There's a huge stack of Mass. Lottery tickets and they're all scratching. They get to keep whatever they scratch. The stack is all the same $10 tickets. There's a possibility that there's a $4,000,000 ticket. It's hysterical watching these people scratch at super speed. So far they must have scratched 200 tickets and no one has a ticket worth more than $100.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a few random thoughts from the BK cheap seat.

Everyone knows that the third preseason game is the one that is critical for "Bubble" players. It's also critical for starters to play well and most important stay healthy.

"I" think that Julian Edelman should only play a couple of offensive series and critically, not the first two or three. He won't be on the field for the first four games and he shouldn't be out there for thr start of this one. The three or four guys who will be starting Week 1 should be out there so Brady isn't looking for his "normal" life preserver. Hogan, Dorsett, Patterson and Decker should be out there and someone has to really step up become the Edelman or Amendola.

If the Patriots are not looking to bring in a free agent WR, then Cody Hollister should be in the starting mix.

Gronk needs to get at least two, three and more series under his belt. No way should he be sitting on the bench taking selfies tonight.

Dwayne Allen and Will Tye should be alternating every offensive series and BB and JM should make it known to Brady that both of them need at least three or more opportunities that will determine their fate.

IF anyone can't get on the field tonight, then do something official and don't screw around. wo options and nothing else. IR or Cut 'em. No more wait and see.

I'm watching Boston Fox. They have five people sitting at two tables in Boston Common. There's a huge stack of Mass. Lottery tickets and they're all scratching. They get to keep whatever they scratch. The stack is all the same $10 tickets. There's a possibility that there's a $4,000,000 ticket. It's hysterical watching these people scratch at super speed. So far they must have scratched 200 tickets and no one has a ticket worth more than $100.

Gronk will play tonight

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the second game in three preseason games I look at the opposing defense with envy.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots OL looks like a bunch of douche bags. Never seen RBs get hit behind the line like they are tonight. When the Rbs get through, they get 8-12 yards and they all look good.

Jason McCourty is horrible. Two weeks in a row he gives up a totally stoppable TD. He's lazy and has no idea how to play CB. The Titans sucked so bad that he looked good. He sucks so bad that anyone he goes up against looks like an All-Pro.

Worst game to look bad. BB is sitting everyone in the second half. Panthers looking like AFC East killers. They beat the Jets, Dolphins and it lloks like they'll beat the Pats tonight and finish the pre-season beating the Bills.
Patriots look to be the worst offense against them. Jests and Fish at least scored 20.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven’t seen the game yet. Just looking at stats. How do we go from 8 sacks to 0? I know Cam is an athletic QB but no sacks at all? Even against the backup.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven’t seen the game yet. Just looking at stats. How do we go from 8 sacks to 0? I know Cam is an athletic QB but no sacks at all? Even against the backup.

NE didn't bring the same amount of pressure as they did last week against that porous Philly Oline. Carolina has a good Oline and you need to keep a spy on Cam because of his athletic ability. But 0 is inexcusable.

I think it may have been part of the game plan? Very vanilla on both O & D. BB trying not to give much away. I'm pretty sure Gronk wasn't targeted once, I'll have to re-watch to make sure or check the stat sheet? We know that won't be the case come week 1 thru 4.

Oh well on the positive side Dorestt looked decent and could possibly fill the JE11 void for the first month?

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NE didn't bring the same amount of pressure as they did last week against that porous Philly Oline. Carolina has a good Oline and you need to keep a spy on Cam because of his athletic ability. But 0 is inexcusable.

I think it may have been part of the game plan? Very vanilla on both O & D. BB trying not to give much away. I'm pretty sure Gronk wasn't targeted once, I'll have to re-watch to make sure or check the stat sheet? We know that won't be the case come week 1 thru 4.

Oh well on the positive side Dorestt looked decent and could possibly fill the JE11 void for the first month?

I see Patterson had some grabs. How did he look?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did ok:noidea: he'll have a couple highlight plays this season I'm pretty sure. Could be a nice little sleeper come the end of the season and into the playoffs.

On the Carolina side, McCaffery looked like a beast. Man I was wishing NE drafted him.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense is speed and athleticism deficient between the LBs and Safeties. They desperately need more speed.... watching the other teams defense play, makes it look like the Pats defense is playing in sand, in comparison.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense is speed and athleticism deficient between the LBs and Safeties. They desperately need more speed.... watching the other teams defense play, makes it look like the Pats defense is playing in sand, in comparison.
Nothing new.

However Bentley gives them so needed speed at the LB position. Even though he posted a 4.8 40? He can get after the QB and has some decent coverage skills it appears.

Van Noy is sneaky quick but not fast.

HT is a great manager and run stopper but would have difficulty covering me.

Sam probably not sticking around he was a 4.75 40 guy.

We need Flowers to step up big. He's quite possibly the most explosive and fastest LB on the team.

Not sure there's a need to mention any others?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the game twice and deleted it. I hate to watch losses of any type. At least I can admit it.

I tried to be objective when I started but just became really subjective.

Defensive Line......They collapsed the pocket continously last night and force Newton and Gamble(?) throw on the run at half the time. They played well and the Panther OL kept the QBs clean. Newton did take a hit on the Panthers first offensive series of the game and fumbled. The Pats came fast and hard and the Panthers recovered the ball and someone have sent a warning out. The defense continually shifted back and forth from 3-4 to 4-3. That I don't like. Patriots will keep 7-8.

Linebackers....These guys played pretty well. I agree that Hightower(54) can't cover toast with a knife and creamy peanut butter. He and Elandon Roberts(52) are only good against the run. Roberts couldn't cover a pulling guard. Van Noy(53) is looking like a steal for a 5th round pick. Sam(44) and Bentley(51) are keepers. Nicolas Grigsby (50) hasn't been outstanding but he hasn't been a liability. It may be time to part ways Harvey Langi (48). This guy has incredible talent and ability but just can't stay healthy. The Pats will probably cut him and he'll become an All-Pro on the Jets. Then there's Brandon King (36) who everyone thinks is a safety but is listed as a LB at 6'2" 220. He's another special teamed who never sees a defensive set. The Patriots will keep eight.

Cornerbacks.....Gilmore(24) is a no brainer. Eric Rowe(25) was as bad as I'ver seen him last night. He was playing no to get hurt and totally whiffed at least three easy tackles that my 68 year old ass could have made. Jason McCourty is as useless as the toilet paper I flushed about five minutes ago. Keion Crossen(35) improved 200% from last week. Apparently the DB coach took him aside and worked with him and he put it to use last night. He just needs to get his own number so people stop thinking he's Gillislee playing two ways. Duke Dawson (42) is starting to come around. He needs just a little more game work. JC Jackson (34) is going to be a stud. He has a nasty edge that I really like. On several plays last night he really made an effort to tear a ball from a Panther and once he nearly took the guy's arm off at the whistle. Cyrus Jone (41) finally made it back on thefield and did have a decent runback on a punt. AJ Moore played but didn't do much to be noticed. Jomal Wiltz (22) always seems to be around the ball, but he needs to intercept or deflect it.Being around it sucks if the other guy catches it. Ryan Lewis is that one great play, the next one sucks kind of guy. He needs to do what Crossen did and play to his best level. Patriots will keep swix.

Safeties.... This group just might be the patriots biggest liability this coming season. D. McCourty (32) is pretty solid and as soon as his brother gets cut, he'll stop trying to protect his sorry ass and be the DM we know he can be. P. Chung (23) is solid and has had a good solid preseason. After these two the water starts to get murky. Eddie Pleasant (26) looks good. He seems to know what he's doing and how to do it. Nate Ebner (43) is a waste. He's not even that good on ST. Duron Harmon(21 Yeah he gave J. McCourty his number) is Duron Harmon. Not a great tackler but when the gme is on the line, you want him coverage because you know he'll defend or intercept anything thrown within 15 yards of him. Jordan Richard(37) has never been anything than an afterthought because he just can't play football with the big kids. Damarius Thomas (39) has shown falshes and needs more coaching and more real game time. Patriots will keep six.

I put their number out there so we don't make mistakes about who we think they might be. Especially Crossen and Harmon.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Patterson looked good. He is still learning though. We are still finding out plays for him.
Dorsett was 4 for 4 including some tough catches
Decker did not look good
Gronk had one thrown to him but it was batted down. He was generally only blocking for a few plays
Edelman still has the drops - he'll get up to speed eventually

I'm suspecting that BB is telling the QB's to get the ball to certain receivers. This is making the receiver selection un-natural. That and the vanilla defense go a long way to make the bubble players look worse.....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good or bad, it was the curtain call for every player on the team. Everybody has today off exzcept the coaches. Cuts are being discussed all day today and the coaches are inflating te bubbles. By 8:00 pm BB will have submitted at least 25 names to the traveling secretary so she can start putting itineraries together.
Depending on injuries and trades, he'll give the go-ahead this coming Wednesday for all but possibly two.
JM and BF will have another list of maybes and all of them will get the opportunity to play their way on the team or off against the Giants.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Southie, you do know that this is last year's third preseason game, right?? Iwas wondering when I wrote that last reply and then noticed it was 2018. You almost had me.......