• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Predict where A.D. and Giannis sign their next contracts

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. I don't know a lot about Seattle.

The reason I think that relocation is more likely than expansion is that there does seem to be some momentum to put a team in Seattle, but not a lot of momentum to expand.

If any owner were to move to Seattle how fudged up the new arena is then that dude is a piss poor business man who only looking at making money through the tv deal or it is Bezo’s where he can afford to toss money away with the poison pill put into the new arena by the OVG group. Essentially if a NBA owner moves his team to the new NHL/WNBA arena they will be the 4th primary tenant and will only get at maximum 25% of the revenue they generate.

The new arena is the equivalent of renting a room at a house but you have a roommate who gets a room free, another roommate gets to do all the decorating, one gets to choose all the appliances, cable, internet etc and you have to pay full price for the room but have to pay to eat their food, use their water etc.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Essentially if a NBA owner moves his team to the new NHL/WNBA arena they will be the 4th primary tenant and will only get at maximum 25% of the revenue they generate.

What makes you say that? An NBA team back in Seattle would be the 2nd most popular team in the city outside of the Seahawks.

In fact, the Seattle Center Arena will be specifically built to court an NBA team.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giannis will re-sign with the Bucks and I have no idea where AD will go.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes you say that? An NBA team back in Seattle would be the 2nd most popular team in the city outside of the Seahawks.

In fact, the Seattle Center Arena will be specifically built to court an NBA team.

2nd most popular. The new arena is built as a world class music venue that houses hockey and the WNBA gets to play for free. It just a terrible situation for a NBA owner.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd most popular. The new arena is built as a world class music venue that houses hockey and the WNBA gets to play for free. It just a terrible situation for a NBA owner.

WNBA almost HAS to play for free to keep the league afloat. Not a big impact IMO. Hockey can complicate things with having the ice under the court.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WNBA almost HAS to play for free to keep the league afloat. Not a big impact IMO. Hockey can complicate things with having the ice under the court.

I’m just saying regardless, the WNBA is the primary tenant in the new arena. OVG is paying them to play until the arena is built. The NBA already isn’t exactly thrilled about sharing arenas, I can’t imagine the league office or any owner willing to move a team where they are the 4th tenant behind the WNBA, the new NHL team and concerts. Plus it’s a really, really, really shitty location. It was fine pre Amazon when the Sonics were still here but now the Seattle Center has become a hipster neighborhood where all the parking for the Seattle Center has been turned into Condo’s.

Unless of course like I said Steve Ballmer moves the Clippers or Jeff Bezo’s purchases a team and moves them to the land designed for a NBA arena and they don’t mind giving money to the OVG group because they have a non compete clause in their agreement with the City of Seattle.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m just saying regardless, the WNBA is the primary tenant in the new arena. OVG is paying them to play until the arena is built. The NBA already isn’t exactly thrilled about sharing arenas, I can’t imagine the league office or any owner willing to move a team where they are the 4th tenant behind the WNBA, the new NHL team and concerts. Plus it’s a really, really, really shitty location. It was fine pre Amazon when the Sonics were still here but now the Seattle Center has become a hipster neighborhood where all the parking for the Seattle Center has been turned into Condo’s.

Unless of course like I said Steve Ballmer moves the Clippers or Jeff Bezo’s purchases a team and moves them to the land designed for a NBA arena and they don’t mind giving money to the OVG group because they have a non compete clause in their agreement with the City of Seattle.

Look, I am sure there are reasons Seattle would be a tough location.

But no NBA team will ever take a back seat to a WNBA team or to concerts.

Hockey is a stretch too, but I know Seattle has a different vibe.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hockey will behind the NBA too. However, all those are good reasons why the NBA should have it's own arena in Seattle.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The location of the arena is dumb as hell and worse now than it was when the Sonics were in their rightful city.

But your last two points is why I say with confidence no team will ever relocate to Seattle. The NHL has been begging to put a team in Seattle since the early 90’s so they are fine not being the primary tenant, taking a back seat in decision and their revenue splits. The NBA doesn’t have to beg and left in part because of a terrible lease agreement the city had with the Sonics.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey will behind the NBA too. However, all those are good reasons why the NBA should have it's own arena in Seattle.

Basketball is the most popular sport in Seattle and the state, it is far more popular than The Seahawks or football in general. Jamal Crawford and all the other former NBA players that grew up in the NW has kept the basketball bloodline strong.

Seattle and the NBA has the perfect opportunity to have its own arena, they just need someone wealthy enough to go through the legal issues that involve finally starting construction on the land next to Centurylink Field and TMobile Park that was bought by a financial mogul who wanted to build a NBA first facility.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basketball is the most popular sport in Seattle and the state, it is far more popular than The Seahawks or football in general. Jamal Crawford and all the other former NBA players that grew up in the NW has kept the basketball bloodline strong.

Seattle and the NBA has the perfect opportunity to have its own arena, they just need someone wealthy enough to go through the legal issues that involve finally starting construction on the land next to Centurylink Field and TMobile Park that was bought by a financial mogul who wanted to build a NBA first facility.

That's silly, the Seahawks have won a SuperBowl after the Sonics left town. Washington ain't Indiana. It's a football city.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's silly, the Seahawks have won a SuperBowl after the Sonics left town. Washington ain't Indiana. It's a football city.

The Seahawks did win the Super Bowl and still aren’t as popular as the Sonics were or basketball in general is in the State of Washington. After this next season we can take the 08 Sonics attendance percentage again the OKC attendance as see which city cares about the sport.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks did win the Super Bowl and still aren’t as popular as the Sonics were or basketball in general is in the State of Washington. After this next season we can take the 08 Sonics attendance percentage again the OKC attendance as see which city cares about the sport.

The first sentence I doubt, and would like to see evidence. The second one I have no idea what you are saying. And I wasn't comparing OKC to Seattle, I was comparing Seattle's basketball fandom to its football fandom.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first sentence I doubt, and would like to see evidence. The second one I have no idea what you are saying. And I wasn't comparing OKC to Seattle, I was comparing Seattle's basketball fandom to its football fandom.

The 2nd was a shot at OKC you are right. I’m not sure what proof you can get unless you live in the area. The Sonics and basketball in general will always be the top sport in the surrounding Seattle Metro area. It’s the only reason Seattle is used as a threat to any NBA city. Seattle for years was a threat to NHL owners but it wasn’t a real threat unlike any other owner in the NBA....until recently with the arena renovation and now Seattle is no longer a legitimate threat to use against another city.