• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Predict where A.D. and Giannis sign their next contracts

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. There's no doubt that a lot of these guys just say what they think they have to say at times.

But one also has to consider changing circumstances. For KD, it became apparent that he wasn't going to win any titles playing alongside Westbrook.

For Lebron, he wasn't winning any more titles in Cleveland.

PG wasn't winning any in Indy.

there is no way you can definitively say that stuff.

Like i said- the Cavs HAD a deal DONE for Paul George to trade Love and picks, but LeBron would not commit long term so the Cavs couldnt give up multiple unprotected picks.

The Thunder were up 3-1 against the Warriors that year. To say they couldnt get over that hump when they almost practically did is just absurd.

Either of those teams could absolutely have won again if they caught the breaks that just about every team needs to win an NBA title.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had the WORST day at work today lemme tell ya.

It had a semi happy ending but holy shit was my morning bad. Absolute nightmare. Came back to the office to the managing partner and one of the named partners waiting for me in the lobby. Oh it was a nightmare.

Yeah, walking in and finding the bosses waiting for you, usually isn't a good thing.

Hopefully, it wasn't too bad.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. There's no doubt that a lot of these guys just say what they think they have to say at times.

But one also has to consider changing circumstances. For KD, it became apparent that he wasn't going to win any titles playing alongside Westbrook.

For Lebron, he wasn't winning any more titles in Cleveland.

PG wasn't winning any in Indy.

Of course, it's entirely possible that all of them were full of shit when they said some of the things they did. I mean, I'm sure Lebron knew that "I'm coming home, I see myself ending my career in Cleveland" has much better optics than..."Dan Gilbert is an idiot and I'm going to LA as soon as I win a title for Cleveland". lol

I just think it's garbage to call players liars or other nonsense for doing what they feel is best for themselves and their families despite what they might have said previously.

Heck, this is my 2nd time working for the company that I work for and I love working for them.

In my interview to come back, I said that I've always regretted leaving and that I want to retire from this company. I meant it too. Still do.

But if another company were to offer me a significant enough raise in pay...I'm gone. Not because I'm a liar (although I'm sure Cane would say I am), but because it would be better for my family.
JM Keynes: "When the facts change, I change my opinion. What do you do, sir?"

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from what i have seen the RFA market has historically been horrible and teams very rarely go after guys. Lavine was an exception to that rule. There are others but not many.

It all depends on the year.

Last year nobody had cap space. Next year, plenty of teams are projected to.

And the talented players with a fair amount of upside, like LaVine, Porter Wiggins, etc. tend to get pretty massively overpaid. Sometimes it is their own team that makes the offer before they even hit RFA, but it is usually in anticipation of another team offering something similar and the desire to gain goodwill with the player.

And I am talking about solid to high quality starter types here, not the stars (because they get maxed) and not the bench guys who lack obvious starter upside.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well that and its almost impossible to make up that money.

Hood's QA is like 3.5 million.

If he signs an extension thats at least doubled. Any time you take the QA you are going to be playing at a severely below market rate for another year.

This is my point.

The QA is not a real option. Players who are entering RFA don't have the final say on where they end up. The team does.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like i said- the Cavs HAD a deal DONE for Paul George to trade Love and picks, but LeBron would not commit long term so the Cavs couldnt give up multiple unprotected picks.

The Thunder were up 3-1 against the Warriors that year. To say they couldnt get over that hump when they almost practically did is just absurd.

Either of those teams could absolutely have won again if they caught the breaks that just about every team needs to win an NBA title.

You are right. There are no absolutes.

But how long is KD expected to stick it out? He gave OKC 9 years. At least 5 of which they were legitimate contenders entering the season. And they never got it done. When is it okay? After 10 years? 13?

Bottom line is that people don't like where he ended up. It was never about his choice to leave OKC.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right. There are no absolutes.

But how long is KD expected to stick it out? He gave OKC 9 years. At least 5 of which they were legitimate contenders entering the season. And they never got it done. When is it okay? After 10 years? 13?

Bottom line is that people don't like where he ended up. It was never about his choice to leave OKC.
Yeah he'd have gotten much less grief going to a different team. But he made a choice that was right for him. Now he may make another that's right for him to go elsewhere and I will wish him well if he does

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, I can definitively say that stuff. The reason I can is because it doesn't matter what you think. It doesn't matter what I think. The only thing that matters is what KD thought. If KD thought he couldn't win a title with Westbrook, there's no reason for him to stay. The fact that they blew a 3-1 lead may have convinced KD that he couldn't win with Westbrook. Especially when you consider that a big part of why they blew that lead was Westbrook trying to play hero ball.

For Lebron, he wasn't giving up his leverage. Personally, I think that was unfair, despite his feelings for Gilbert, because that may well have meant another title or 2 for the Cavs. But I understand him not wanting to give up his leverage.

Of course, it's also possible that he felt he delivered on his promise to Cavs fans and had planned to leave for LA all along. It's Lebron...who the hell knows what his motivations are for some of what he does? :noidea:

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. I think Seattle will get a team. I'd guess within about 5 years or so. But I think it will be because a team moves rather than expansion.

I would like to offer up the Seattle Timberwolves... :suds:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to offer up the Seattle Timberwolves... :suds:

Funny for sure, but why there isn't a team playing right now called the Seattle Clippers I am mystified.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I can definitively say that stuff. The reason I can is because it doesn't matter what you think. It doesn't matter what I think. The only thing that matters is what KD thought. If KD thought he couldn't win a title with Westbrook, there's no reason for him to stay. The fact that they blew a 3-1 lead may have convinced KD that he couldn't win with Westbrook. Especially when you consider that a big part of why they blew that lead was Westbrook trying to play hero ball.

For Lebron, he wasn't giving up his leverage. Personally, I think that was unfair, despite his feelings for Gilbert, because that may well have meant another title or 2 for the Cavs. But I understand him not wanting to give up his leverage.

Of course, it's also possible that he felt he delivered on his promise to Cavs fans and had planned to leave for LA all along. It's Lebron...who the hell knows what his motivations are for some of what he does? :noidea:
WTF?

this literally makes no sense.

I read it twice and still am trying to figure out how you can assume that if KD stayed or if LeBron committed to the Cavs that neither would have definitively not won titles. Unless you have a crystal ball, palantir, Grapefruit, (trying to think of another literary reference to magically see the future).

Esp. considering KD's own gag job down the stretch of those games was a substantial part of the Thunder losing- and that KD and RW were both still relatively young players.

I mean- at one point no one would have thought Pierce and Dirk would have pulled off titles towards the back end of their primes- but circumstances can change quickly. To act like Durant and RW- still before their 28th (maybe 27th) birthdays at the time- couldnt have pulled it off at some point is just looney tunes.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my point.

The QA is not a real option. Players who are entering RFA don't have the final say on where they end up. The team does.
thats true.

I guess my point was that RFA is so seldomly used it's basically irrelevant.

How many RFA's have signed offer sheets in the last 10 years? way less than a dozen thats for sure.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are going to team up and be the cornerstones of the expansion Seattle Sonics. How's that for a bold prediction?
Do you know how fucking erect id be if that happened?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats true.

I guess my point was that RFA is so seldomly used it's basically irrelevant.

How many RFA's have signed offer sheets in the last 10 years? way less than a dozen thats for sure.

I am not going to look up how often RFA's have signed offer sheets, because that is irrelevant. What is relevant to the current discussion is that the QA is not a good financial move for the player and the team has complete control over whether or not they match an RFA offer sheet.

So when stars like Townes, Davis or Giannis who command max money come up, there is never another consideration because the team is always going to match. So when they offer the max extension, the player signs happily. Because there isn't another realistic option for the player. That is the point.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF?

this literally makes no sense.

Your inability to comprehend doesn't mean the post doesn't make sense.

It's simple, as I said..."if KD didn't think he could win with Westbrook, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks and it's reason for him to leave".

Can't make it any simpler than that.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony Davis (free agent in 2020) - My pick is New Orleans. Knowing he was disrespected in free agency this year, I believe Julius Randle will be a breakout star this season, and a much better fit next to A.D. than Boogie. They could be ready to compete for the #3 seed (it would be tough for AD to leave that) if they are able to replace Rondo's playing. Signing Elfrid Payton to their biannual exception was a nice low-risk gamble.

Giannis (free agent in 2021) - Milwaukee. New stadium, relatively new ownership, he's not going anywhere. Obviously the 2019 decisions of Middleton and Bledsoe will at least have some bearing on what Giannis does, but in my humble opinion - Both of those guys would have to move on in order to get Giannis to legitimately look elsewhere.

All in all, not the sexiest predictions on my part. But, I truly believe these two guys will break the precedent set by the "look at me" generation, and I think Towns will follow suit when he signs his third contract. Hopefully Oladipo as well. :suds:

While we are dredging up year old threads....

Just a reminder that over the last 20 years just about every young star player has been viewed in the same way KAT and Giannis are today.

A year ago, @HurricaneDij39 had Anthony Davis in that group and we see how that played out.

The playbook is quite simple:

Express happiness over contract and situation until they get close to UFA. Then we learn how happy they really were.

Comments made after signing an RFA max need to be taken with a grain of salt. Because usually they mean very little.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contracts of this nature are typically signed at the bottom of the document on a line next to the word 'Signature".
Your welcome.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. I think Seattle will get a team. I'd guess within about 5 years or so. But I think it will be because a team moves rather than expansion.

No owner that knows anything about business would relocate to Seattle. Expansion sure, but not relocation.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No owner that knows anything about business would relocate to Seattle. Expansion sure, but not relocation.

Maybe. I don't know a lot about Seattle.

The reason I think that relocation is more likely than expansion is that there does seem to be some momentum to put a team in Seattle, but not a lot of momentum to expand.