• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Predict the head coaching vacancies

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,771.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LAC-Mike Brown.

Because, it's such a Clippers thing to do.

Houston-Ty Lue.

He has already interviewed and I think he won't wait for the Clippers to make a decision.

Indiana-Mike D'Antoni.

I think he'd be a good fit here in a smaller market and with fewer expectations. And Oladipo would post some really sick numbers in Mike's offense.

New Orleans-Nate McMillan.

He is at his best coaching the kids.....

OKC-Kenny Atkinson.

A coach who did a really good job rebuilding Brooklyn until injuries killed them.

Thoughts?

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,771.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brett Brown heads back to SA to being Pop's assistant.....

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,771.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm losing hope that it will happen, but I still think that the Pelicans kids would be a lot of fun to watch in D'Antoni's system.
Yeah, but I think he heads to the Pacers.....

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mike D’Antoni A Candidate To Join Steve Nash’s Staff?

October 14th, 2020 at 1:11pm CST by Luke Adams
Former Rockets head coach Mike D’Antoni is a candidate to join Steve Nash‘s new coaching staff with the Nets, a source tells Frank Isola of SiriusXM NBA Radio (Twitter link).
D’Antoni and Nash obviously have an extensive history — Nash played for D’Antoni for four years in Phoenix, earning four consecutive All-Star berths and a pair of MVP awards during that time. The veteran point guard later played for D’Antoni again in Los Angeles with the Lakers.
A source tells Marc Berman of The New York Post that D’Antoni and Nash remain “tight.” Berman also refers to D’Antoni as an “X’s and O’s offensive master,” suggesting he’d be a good match for a first-time head coach like Nash, who admitted last month that he was hired more for his relationships and culture-building skills than his tactical acumen.
D’Antoni has been linked to head coaching openings in Indiana and New Orleans and would presumably favor one of those jobs over an assistant position. However, it’s unclear if he’s a finalist for either the Pacers’ or Pelicans’ vacancy.
If he’s willing to accept an assistant role, D’Antoni makes sense as a target for the Nets, given his connection with Nash and the franchise’s deep pockets. Brooklyn made Jacque Vaughn the NBA’s highest-paid assistant, so presumably the team would be amenable to making an aggressive offer for D’Antoni as well.
Isola also mentions Lakers assistant Phil Handy as a possible candidate for Nash’s staff. Handy has previously been identified in multiple reports as a possible target for the Nets.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mike D’Antoni A Candidate To Join Steve Nash’s Staff?

October 14th, 2020 at 1:11pm CST by Luke Adams
Former Rockets head coach Mike D’Antoni is a candidate to join Steve Nash‘s new coaching staff with the Nets, a source tells Frank Isola of SiriusXM NBA Radio (Twitter link).
D’Antoni and Nash obviously have an extensive history — Nash played for D’Antoni for four years in Phoenix, earning four consecutive All-Star berths and a pair of MVP awards during that time. The veteran point guard later played for D’Antoni again in Los Angeles with the Lakers.
A source tells Marc Berman of The New York Post that D’Antoni and Nash remain “tight.” Berman also refers to D’Antoni as an “X’s and O’s offensive master,” suggesting he’d be a good match for a first-time head coach like Nash, who admitted last month that he was hired more for his relationships and culture-building skills than his tactical acumen.
D’Antoni has been linked to head coaching openings in Indiana and New Orleans and would presumably favor one of those jobs over an assistant position. However, it’s unclear if he’s a finalist for either the Pacers’ or Pelicans’ vacancy.
If he’s willing to accept an assistant role, D’Antoni makes sense as a target for the Nets, given his connection with Nash and the franchise’s deep pockets. Brooklyn made Jacque Vaughn the NBA’s highest-paid assistant, so presumably the team would be amenable to making an aggressive offer for D’Antoni as well.
Isola also mentions Lakers assistant Phil Handy as a possible candidate for Nash’s staff. Handy has previously been identified in multiple reports as a possible target for the Nets.

Why would they need D'Antoni? They've already got Nash, Kyrie and KD as coaches.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,771.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's an odd destination for Mike to go to.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, it might make sense if he was in a situation like Jason Kidd where he used to be a head coach, but isn't getting any calls, so he takes an assistant position hoping to leverage for a head coaching position in a season or 2.

But D'Antoni is in the running for both the Indy and NO head coaching jobs.

Reactions: DJ

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It makes sense in that Nash needs experienced basketball coaches on his staff to handle the Xs and Os.

The question is whether D’Antoni gets a head coaching job elsewhere that he wants.

Not all head jobs are good jobs. If he picks a bad one, (like Indiana) it is probably his last.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,771.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes sense in that Nash needs experienced basketball coaches on his staff to handle the Xs and Os.

The question is whether D’Antoni gets a head coaching job elsewhere that he wants.

Not all head jobs are good jobs. If he picks a bad one, (like Indiana) it is probably his last.
At his age.....any job could be his last.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,771.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D'Antoni is not accepting a job as an assistant IMO.....

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's a good point about an experienced coach with Nash. I'd be surprised if he took it because, while @DJ makes a good point about his age, he still seems to have the energy for it.

On the other hand, if he's only in the running for Indy and the Pels...and the Pels don't make him an offer, the Nets might be the better choice. Go there for a season and see what opens up the following year if he still wants to coach.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good point about an experienced coach with Nash. I'd be surprised if he took it because, while @DJ makes a good point about his age, he still seems to have the energy for it.

On the other hand, if he's only in the running for Indy and the Pels...and the Pels don't make him an offer, the Nets might be the better choice. Go there for a season and see what opens up the following year if he still wants to coach.

Yeah, Indy is the type of job you take as a HC if you don’t have other options.

D’Antoni isn’t in the spot where he should just take any job. An assistant role in the right place might actually be preferable to him. Working with Steve Nash and a roster filled with high level talent might be that perfect place.

Especially if Nash let him be the head coach on occasion. Which I am guessing D’Antoni would handle a lot of the in game strategy if he took that position.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D'Antoni is not accepting a job as an assistant IMO.....

Don’t rule it out DJ.

There is a lot of value in taking an assistant job if he has the humility to do so.

There is a lot less pressure on the guy in the second chair. If he is just looking to teach the game and enjoy his last few years in the NBA, this could be just what the doctor ordered.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Indy is the type of job you take as a HC if you don’t have other options.

D’Antoni isn’t in the spot where he should just take any job. An assistant role in the right place might actually be preferable to him. Working with Steve Nash and a roster filled with high level talent might be that perfect place.

Especially if Nash let him be the head coach on occasion. Which I am guessing D’Antoni would handle a lot of the in game strategy if he took that position.

Yeah, that in game strategy is where experience shows. It's easy for a new coach to game plan in practice when they have time to break everything down and go over it several times. But during the game, you have to make all of your adjustments during a 2 minute timeout or at halftime and you had better be right.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,771.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,771.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DA has been coaching for so long I can't see him doing it......Ty Lue? Yes, because he's still a youngster.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DA has been coaching for so long I can't see him doing it......Ty Lue? Yes, because he's still a youngster.

@tlance makes a good point though. It may depend on what's available and what he wants. Obviously, he's closer to the end of his career than the beginning. So, if he isn't offered a job he truly wants...why not spend a couple of seasons mentoring Nash as an Assistant Head Coach. He still gets to coach, still has a lot input/influence, but without the pressure of being the actual head coach.

Kind of like a friend of mines Dad. Dude just turned 83 and still does consultant work. He loves it because it pays well (even though he doesn't need the money), keeps him busy (and out of trouble with his wife), there's no pressure on him and he can walk away or take time off whenever he wants because they need him far more than he needs them.

D'Antoni may well decide that's a pretty good gig, especially if they're winning.