• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Predicitng the Rays 25 man roster for 2014

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As spring rolls around it's time to look what the 2014 Rays will look like. It's important to note that Hellboy will miss the beginning of the season due to recovering from elbow surgery. So here's my guess:

2 Catchers

Ryan Hannigan
Jose Molina

6 Infielders

James Loney
Ben Zobrist
Yunel Escobar
Evan Longoria
Sean Rodriguez
Logan Forsthye

4 Outfielders

David Dejesus
Desmond Jennings
Wil Myers
Brandon Guyer

1 Designated Hitter

Matt Joyce

5 Starting Pitcher

1. David Price
2. Alex Cobb
3. Matt Moore
4. Chris Acher
5. Nathan Karns

7 Relief Pitchers

Jake Odorizzi (LR)
Cesar Ramos
Brad Boxberger
Heath Bell
Jake McGee
Joel Peralta
Grant Balfour (CL)

I think we are set with our position players, I can't see many competition battles with our position players. The battle I say is for one of the bench spots with Guyer, Kiermaier and Betemit but my guess is Guyer mainly due to his right handed bat as we could use one, Kiermaier is Lefty and Betemit is Switch but hits better from the Left side.

Pitching wise, again I think our rotation is set outside of that 5th spot, who covers that 5th spot for Helly. The obvious answer around so far is Odorizzi but I prefer him out the pen as that long reliever especially now that there is no Alex Torres in that role. I do like Odorizzi but I thought he was more effective out of the pen, he produced better results and seemed to have more velocity. He kinda reminded me of Wade Davis when he was in that role a couple years back. So for that reason along with the package of players given up to acquire Nate Karns I think he will feature on the Rays roster. They gave up a solid backup catcher and two prospects for him so they obviously like him and he does have starting stuff. He still needs work around the edges but Jim Hickey is a genius.

Now the pen, I think Odorizzi, Bell, McGee, Peralta and Balfour are locks that leaves 2 up for grabs between Ramos, Boxberger, Gomes, Lueke, Oviedo and Beliveau. I think with only 1 Lefty in the pen with McGee I think that gives Ramos a very good chance to make the team. The other spot, well it's if for grabs, totally. I have Boxberger in there now I like his arm and his stuff, I think they are better than the others in contention.