• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Pre-Season Game 1 - Patriots vs Lions

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been in the cave since before kickoff. Thought someone would be watchinfother than me and would have started a thread.

It's the fourth qusrter and the Patriots have been toying around all night. The Lions backup aren't even in the same league with Pats back up.

Harry was impressive unti he got hurt.
Meyers is the real deal. Two great TD catches.
Hoyer was very good, but Stidham is a stud and he can run. He's runb twice for first downs.
Brossette the RB has done well. Bolden is working his butt off to make the team.

The backup defense is awesome. Six sacks in the first half and two more in the second.

More aggressive tha the playoff defense last year.

Some very stupid penalties by both the offense and the defense.

31=0 with 3:45 left in the game. Another stupid penalty and 4th stringers missing coverages. Lions were 1st and 10 on the 11. Faqlse start back to the 16. Patriots get their 9 sack and it's first and 22 on the 25 and another false start. First and 27 on the 30.

37 yard FG and the Lions are on the board with 3:00 to go.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braxton Baerrioshad a great game. He and Olzweski can both return punts and do it well. Berrios looks a lot like Wes Welker the way he runs routes and catches everything near him.

Both were very impressive.

Another surprise was Inman. Worked very hard on his routes and caught a couple of relly tough passes.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meyers was what I expected. Harry looked like a 1st rounder. they left early, good sign for them.
Berrios was unexpectedly good but he will not be that open against 1st stringers. Looked good on punts too.
Brossette looked better than his numbers. I did notice his lack of burst on the outside. I was very impressed with him coming out of the backfield for a nifty TD catch. I expected him to have a hard time making the team but he made a case.
Wynovich is fun to watch. He is going to be a crowd please!
Stidham looks like a rookie QB - a rookie QB with promise!
Bailey again looked better than Allen and was able to kick off as well. Can he learn to kick FG's?
LaCosse looked good til hurt. Nothing serious but took him out to save him for out starting TE. Blocking just OK
Patterson showed nothing
Olszewski looked good in return game but not enough on offense to make the team against competition.
Inman had 2 catches against 3rd stringers. No effort in practice, he's lucky to get on the field.
JoeJuan Williams looked green as hell. 2nd rounder will not be a starter but should survive to (hopefully) learn.
Our 4th string players were seemingly content to shoe BB they can't make the team. I expect some of them to be cut early to make room for signings.....

Overall, great game for a lot of rookies and our 2nd string.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team (of backups) looked good trouncing the Lions.

Maybe we can find some diamonds from this group.

Jakobi Meyers impressive in Patriots rout of Lions

".....Meyers stood out for New England. The undrafted rookie caught scoring passes from Brian Hoyer and Jarrett Stidham in the second quarter. He finished with six catches for 69 yards."

Note that was 1st half and mostly the 2nd quarter.....

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't get game in Fl. Extent of Harry's Injury?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't get game in Fl. Extent of Harry's Injury?

He tweaked the hammy again. He didn't think he was down on a great sideline catch and a Lion twisted his legs tackling him. He needs to learn to listen for the whistle in the NFL or he'll get creamed.

He'll be back next Saturday against the Titans.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He tweaked the hammy again. He didn't think he was down on a great sideline catch and a Lion twisted his legs tackling him. He needs to learn to listen for the whistle in the NFL or he'll get creamed.

He'll be back next Saturday against the Titans.
Thank You.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braxton Baerrioshad a great game. He and Olzweski can both return punts and do it well. Berrios looks a lot like Wes Welker the way he runs routes and catches everything near him.

Both were very impressive.

Another surprise was Inman. Worked very hard on his routes and caught a couple of relly tough passes.

None of this surprises me. Harry and Inman were good too. No surprise. Dont get too excited about too much else though. Lions had mostly 3s and 4s the whole game against the Pats 2s and 3s in the first half and 3s and 4s in the 2nd half. Not to mention they have a new offensive scheme so they were not going to do much on offense. Most teams will not be that pathetic. Both the QBs will probably not be on any team. Lions will probably pick up Hoyer as the Pats will not carry 3 QBs.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my take......

Quarterbacks - Brian Hoyer looked quicker than I've ever seen him. He knows he's playing for his football life. BB rarely keeps 3 QBs. Stidham was excellent for his game 14/24 for 179 and a TD. 6 Rushes for 59. It's weird to have QC who can actually get outside and then downfield. He's a keeper.

Running Backs - Didn't see many. Brandon Bolden was the primary back in the first half. He doesn't have many moves at 30 years old but he does run with some power. Brossette will most likely be on the PS. He's got some speed and can move. He had a 42 yard run called back because of a holding call on the other side of the play.

Wide Receivers - Got to see Harry, Meyers, Braxton, Harris, Oslewrki, Inman, Dorsett, Patterson and Davis.
IMO Harris and Patterson may startedpunching their tickets out of Foxboro. Harris especially. He had two long downfield, near perfect throws go off his hands and one was in the end zone. Davis wasn't in much but could be a PS guy. These guys played really well and it'll be interesting to see how well they mesh with Brady in Tenn. next week.

Tight Ends - Watson looked much faster than i thought he would and played well in the first quarter. LaCosse has very good hands and made soenice catches. He needs to be able to take the pounding if he wants to play TE in the NFL. He could use about 15-20 lbs of muscle. Izzo was bad. He missed a couple of passes and seemed to play most of the game on his hands and knees.

Offensive line - Most importantly, Patriots QBs were upright for the game. Only once did the Lions really get to Stidham and it was a messdup communication betweenKarras and Frentz. Frentz had two bad holding calls on plays that were both over 20 yards. Frentz was playing RG and Karras was playng center. He looked very good and Andrews has to have a backup. Skipper, Lang and Froholt more thn held their own. The starters will have to work to keep their spots. Skipper was the LT and he was excellent. He's big, long armed and constantly pushed the DEs way out around the QB. He looked like Trent Brown. He just amy take the job away from Wynn.

Defensive Line -
The competition is fierce. Wise, Rivers, Harris and Winovich were great. They were after the Lions QB all night. The inside guys were excellents and nothing really got through the tackles.

Linebackers - This will be the strength of the D. Competition is ferocious and every LB played last night. Hightower, Van Noy and Roberts set the bar and then spent the night wishing that they could back in. Collins, Bentley, Simon were just outstanding and Sam and ShaliqueCalhoun were dynamite. BB looks like he's going back to the 3-4 and that means 9-10 LBs will stick and 6-7 DL will make the roster. LB will be a brutal dogfight for spots.

Secondary - 2nd Rounder Joejuan Williams really pissed off BB last night when he threw a WR down on the ground out of bounds when the guy beat him for a 12 yard catch. I thought he might get some shower time. Steve B must have said something to him because he played really well after that 15 years penalty. DeAngelo Ross, Ken Webster, Terrence Brooks, Malik Grant, AJ Howard and Duke Dawson were all impressive in coverage. They kept the WR out of the end zone and made a few really great defenses against sure catches.

Kickers -
Ghost missed a 37 yarder but came back and made one. Ryan Allen showed why he's so valuable by dropping a couple of punts on the 5 yard line. Baily has an incredible leg. His first punt hung so long I was able to brew a pot of coffee.

The game was backups against backups to give the coaches someidea of what the new guys can do. The Lions looked like they needed to find an entirely new group of backups, while there must be coaches out there who will be drooling waiting for the Patriots cuts to start.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my take......

Quarterbacks - Brian Hoyer looked quicker than I've ever seen him. He knows he's playing for his football life. BB rarely keeps 3 QBs. Stidham was excellent for his game 14/24 for 179 and a TD. 6 Rushes for 59. It's weird to have QC who can actually get outside and then downfield. He's a keeper.

Running Backs - Didn't see many. Brandon Bolden was the primary back in the first half. He doesn't have many moves at 30 years old but he does run with some power. Brossette will most likely be on the PS. He's got some speed and can move. He had a 42 yard run called back because of a holding call on the other side of the play.

Wide Receivers - Got to see Harry, Meyers, Braxton, Harris, Oslewrki, Inman, Dorsett, Patterson and Davis.
IMO Harris and Patterson may startedpunching their tickets out of Foxboro. Harris especially. He had two long downfield, near perfect throws go off his hands and one was in the end zone. Davis wasn't in much but could be a PS guy. These guys played really well and it'll be interesting to see how well they mesh with Brady in Tenn. next week.

Tight Ends - Watson looked much faster than i thought he would and played well in the first quarter. LaCosse has very good hands and made soenice catches. He needs to be able to take the pounding if he wants to play TE in the NFL. He could use about 15-20 lbs of muscle. Izzo was bad. He missed a couple of passes and seemed to play most of the game on his hands and knees.

Offensive line - Most importantly, Patriots QBs were upright for the game. Only once did the Lions really get to Stidham and it was a messdup communication betweenKarras and Frentz. Frentz had two bad holding calls on plays that were both over 20 yards. Frentz was playing RG and Karras was playng center. He looked very good and Andrews has to have a backup. Skipper, Lang and Froholt more thn held their own. The starters will have to work to keep their spots. Skipper was the LT and he was excellent. He's big, long armed and constantly pushed the DEs way out around the QB. He looked like Trent Brown. He just amy take the job away from Wynn.

Defensive Line -
The competition is fierce. Wise, Rivers, Harris and Winovich were great. They were after the Lions QB all night. The inside guys were excellents and nothing really got through the tackles.

Linebackers - This will be the strength of the D. Competition is ferocious and every LB played last night. Hightower, Van Noy and Roberts set the bar and then spent the night wishing that they could back in. Collins, Bentley, Simon were just outstanding and Sam and ShaliqueCalhoun were dynamite. BB looks like he's going back to the 3-4 and that means 9-10 LBs will stick and 6-7 DL will make the roster. LB will be a brutal dogfight for spots.

Secondary - 2nd Rounder Joejuan Williams really pissed off BB last night when he threw a WR down on the ground out of bounds when the guy beat him for a 12 yard catch. I thought he might get some shower time. Steve B must have said something to him because he played really well after that 15 years penalty. DeAngelo Ross, Ken Webster, Terrence Brooks, Malik Grant, AJ Howard and Duke Dawson were all impressive in coverage. They kept the WR out of the end zone and made a few really great defenses against sure catches.

Kickers -
Ghost missed a 37 yarder but came back and made one. Ryan Allen showed why he's so valuable by dropping a couple of punts on the 5 yard line. Baily has an incredible leg. His first punt hung so long I was able to brew a pot of coffee.

The game was backups against backups to give the coaches someidea of what the new guys can do. The Lions looked like they needed to find an entirely new group of backups, while there must be coaches out there who will be drooling waiting for the Patriots cuts to start.

Good news regarding Stidham. I'm pulling for the kid.

Great news regarding Skipper. While I am not breathing a sigh of relief yet (it is only preseason) at least there is hope.

Long enough to brew coffee. That's funny.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So from what clips I have seen I think it's a fair question to ask. Was last night more about Matt Patricia's Break Don't Bend defense of the Pats offense?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So from what clips I have seen I think it's a fair question to ask. Was last night more about Matt Patricia's Break Don't Bend defense of the Pats offense?
I saw the Meyers TD... I don't think it's supposed to bend 1 yard into the end zone.

But in all fairness it's about nothing that can be measured. Is our subs are better than theirs? We are in better condition 3 weeks into camp, they were testing the playbook (better get a new one)... It's pre-season and no trophy are earned here... I still remember Zach Sufeld as the next (forgive me) Aaron Hernandez.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of media hype about Stidham. " Great Arm " "Poised" " Good Decision Maker " " Mobile " they are hyping this kid.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was both. Some of what our exciting young receivers did was because they were wide open. Harry's catches were good contested catches where he created separation and went back for the ball.

Meyers consistently got open. He could have caught 15 passes if Hoyer had targeted him more or if Meyers played the 2nd half.

Brossette had a better game than the #'s showed. The TD pass he caught was unexpected.

Stidham looked like a rookie but one with a future. The uns he made did not generally impress me. He had so much time that he got away with waiting too long to pass.

There is a lot of good tape for our team to reveiw dispite the lopsided score. Lots of mistakes.....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you watched rthegame, I have a question for you.

Have you ever seen a football field anywhere thaatever had as much blck stuff flying around as Ford Field did last night? What is up with that? Too much stuff on the grass? That crap was flying 2 -3 feet high on every play. It must have been hilarious watching players dump out cleats and take off pads after the game.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you watched rthegame, I have a question for you.

Have you ever seen a football field anywhere thaatever had as much blck stuff flying around as Ford Field did last night? What is up with that? Too much stuff on the grass? That crap was flying 2 -3 feet high on every play. It must have been hilarious watching players dump out cleats and take off pads after the game.

That Is field turf

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Is field turf

As a former Environmental Health and Safety Engineer, I would say that eye protection should be required and quite possibly a breathing apparatus.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a former Environmental Health and Safety Engineer, I would say that eye protection should be required and quite possibly a breathing apparatus.

And protect the one you love by wearing a condom.....