• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PRE-SEASON football magazine release dates for 2019

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still haven't seen them around here, but I've only been to a couple of stores. Sometimes they show up at Wal-Mart before they arrive at Winn-Dixie or Walgreens.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pre smartphones I took many shits reading one of these magazines.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn’t find Lindys National Magazine which is typical. Around here the buy all the SEC ones and no National magazine until like a week or two after. Athlon’s Magazine seems like significantly more information than in years past. Two page spread on all teams in power 5 conferences. Also got Street and Smith, not sure why because I usually find their stuff meh. I will say they went all out covering player transfers etc, so there is some useful info.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Phil Steele's NFL edition. Lots and lots of information and data in it. But then, I am a numbers guy and can take his information and form my own correlations from it.

No college publication does much for me. If I plan on betting on college football I will buy them all, read them, and then just go with my knowledge of Nebraska and their opponents. Which means I stick with the B1G and the Big 12. the PAC 12, SEC, and ACC are obvious on who the best teams are but getting the second tier teams where you might be able to get some good odds for your money is hard.

Lessons I have learned on college football: BYU is my Kryptonite. I bet them to lose, they win. I bet them to win, they lose.

NCAA is so much more difficult. Every year, new players are brought in and the possible best veteran players leave. Once you get away from the perennial top six teams, it can be a crap shoot.

without even reading anything

The wins for each team will be

Alabama 11
Clemson 11
Oklahoma 11
Ohio State 10 1/2
Michigan 10
Washington 10 1/2
Notre Dame 10

Blal blah blah

I want the teams that are at 9 wins but I think will only win 6. That gives me a two game cushion. Right now, Penn State fits that.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Phil Steele's NFL edition. Lots and lots of information and data in it. But then, I am a numbers guy and can take his information and form my own correlations from it.

No college publication does much for me. If I plan on betting on college football I will buy them all, read them, and then just go with my knowledge of Nebraska and their opponents. Which means I stick with the B1G and the Big 12. the PAC 12, SEC, and ACC are obvious on who the best teams are but getting the second tier teams where you might be able to get some good odds for your money is hard.

Lessons I have learned on college football: BYU is my Kryptonite. I bet them to lose, they win. I bet them to win, they lose.

NCAA is so much more difficult. Every year, new players are brought in and the possible best veteran players leave. Once you get away from the perennial top six teams, it can be a crap shoot.

without even reading anything

The wins for each team will be

Alabama 11
Clemson 11
Oklahoma 11
Ohio State 10 1/2
Michigan 10
Washington 10 1/2
Notre Dame 10

Blal blah blah

I want the teams that are at 9 wins but I think will only win 6. That gives me a two game cushion. Right now, Penn State fits that.
I hate Phil Steele because he is the king of claiming he called things that he didn’t. Like oh Notre Dame was on my 130 team list of teams that can make the playoffs. I like what you are saying though, I may need to pick up a copy for the stats/data to be easily accessible and in one place.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate Phil Steele because he is the king of claiming he called things that he didn’t. Like oh Notre Dame was on my 130 team list of teams that can make the playoffs. I like what you are saying though, I may need to pick up a copy for the stats/data to be easily accessible and in one place.
my problem with Steele is he makes claims about having the most information, and he does but I dont need to know about Joey Harrington, Dennis Dixon and Marcus Mariota at Oregon going into 2019. tell me about this years team, who they lost who they got coming up or coming in. done.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish Phil Steele would pare back some of his info & start including FCS teams in his magazine again.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is Athlon not doing each conference in their own magazine this year?

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
took about 5 years of mediocre football before the major polls & pre-season magazines stopped ranking them in the top 10.

To be fair, this is not so different than most sports outlets treat the SEC now, don't get me wrong the SEC is conference with a dominant top end but it is not the conference it was ten years ago. Sports outlets still treat it like it is that conference from ten years ago though.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, this is not so different than most sports outlets treat the SEC now, don't get me wrong the SEC is conference with a dominant top end but it is not the conference it was ten years ago. Sports outlets still treat it like it is that conference from ten years ago though.

It wasn't at the same level for 3 or 4 years, but last season the league started looking like its old self again, with Georgia, Florida & Kentucky all having good seasons in the East, while Alabama was still the dominant team out West, Texas A&M, Mississippi St. & LSU all had good seasons, and Auburn was just a step or two behind. Missouri wasn't bad, either.

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasn't at the same level for 3 or 4 years, but last season the league started looking like its old self again, with Georgia, Florida & Kentucky all having good seasons in the East, while Alabama was still the dominant team out West, Texas A&M, Mississippi St. & LSU all had good seasons, and Auburn was just a step or two behind. Missouri wasn't bad, either.

I am not trying to hack on the SEC, I am just saying the sports outlets are still giving it credit from what it once was and not for what it is currently.

All the good teams you mentioned I could do the same for the Big 12. Starting with Oklahoma, Texas appears to be back or at least close to it, Okie Lite usually has a good team, Iowa State has come on strong, W. Virginia has been a good team, TCU is admittedly hit or miss from year to year but generally have a winning record and Matt Rhule is doing good things at Baylor. K State just made a good hire (in my opinion) but Miles has his work cut out for him at Kansas.