• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Practice Bubble on the way for Bengals??

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the wave of the future should be "percentage of cap." I like how the deal continues to adjust after it is originally signed..... Agents will put pressure on teams to sign guys to a "higher percentage," but it will be hard to justify that their guy is better than Mahomes who is making "X percentage of the cap."

The guaranteed money thing is a competitive disadvantage for small market teams. Having to hold that kind of money in escrow limits the ability to grow the franchise in other meaningful ways. I've always been critical of the Bengals when it comes to spending extra cash for resources for the team, because they make good money based on the television deal and they clear plenty of profit to re-invest in their team. But if we move to fully guaranteed deals, this won't be the case anymore.... Though the team will remain profitable, the money won't be able to be reinvested as it needs to be saved going forward. I'm not a business person, but my guess is that if you run a business that is forced to tie up a large percentage of profit in savings or future commitment, the business will not grow.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this link in the comments section of that article:

Good explanations here of why this type of thing can't work for smaller market teams.
Even on some not so small market teams...as the cap increases, and so do salaries - eventually even medium size markets will start to struggle if they start having to hand out a bunch of contracts that are guaranteed. QB's now, WR's are next, then CB, DE's, etc...etc...

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Cincinnati Legend in only 1.5 years. Imagine if he actually wins this city a SB? Holy shit will he be in another stratosphere of lore!

If Burrow delivers a title to Cincy he becomes legendary. So I hope he does.

I will always root for him, except for when he plays my team obviously.

Sure he has a shiny trophy & ring from LSU. But he's an Ohio kid & Ohio State grad.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Burrow delivers a title to Cincy he becomes legendary. So I hope he does.

I will always root for him, except for when he plays my team obviously.

Sure he has a shiny trophy & ring from LSU. But he's an Ohio kid & Ohio State grad.
I find it odd/funny...interesting...Burrow does not claim any part of OSU....the fans seems to really put that on him, but every time someone mentions OSU to him he always replies "I'm an LSU Tiger. Period".

Not really here, nor there, but just something I've noticed and find interesting.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it odd/funny...interesting...Burrow does not claim any part of OSU....the fans seems to really put that on him, but every time someone mentions OSU to him he always replies "I'm an LSU Tiger. Period".

Not really here, nor there, but just something I've noticed and find interesting.
Okay, we will say he graduated from Ohio State. He is an LSU Football Tiger.

Either way, he is an alum of both schools because he graduated from OSU with a Bachlors and got his Masters at LSU.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, we will say he graduated from Ohio State. He is an LSU Football Tiger.

Either way, he is an alum of both schools because he graduated from OSU with a Bachlors and got his Masters at LSU.
He did. I'm not arguing that.

I'm just pointing out - OSU claims him. He, in no way, claims to be a Buckeye. I find it - interesting.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did. I'm not arguing that.

I'm just pointing out - OSU claims him. He, in no way, claims to be a Buckeye. I find it - interesting.
They have no right to claim him as a football player. They never gave him his chance. LSU put him where he is right now. I would associate that with LSU also. Ohio State has rights to claim him as an alum, but that is all they can do. I don't know. I guess he is trying not to upset the folks that supported him the most and I can appreciate that.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, he did say he'll always be a Buckeye leading up to this year's super bowl.

I dislike OSU. A lot. And this is besides the point, but I'll mention it here.... I don't think it was OSU's fault that Burrow didn't start and star as a Buckeye. You sometimes here this dialogue that Urban Meyer fucked up by choosing Dwayne Haskins. But if you look at it, Haskins was a huge star that put up incredible numbers when he started. Burrow probably didn't get as much of a chance because he had a hand injury. The reality of the situation is that the top 10 programs in college football often have too many good quarterbacks. In a lot of cases, it makes sense for a guy to develop in one program, but then select a school to transfer to if it's clear that they won't be the starter. It's just a numbers game.

All that said.... Damn, how did Haskins become such a bum in such a short amount of time?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, he did say he'll always be a Buckeye leading up to this year's super bowl.

I dislike OSU. A lot. And this is besides the point, but I'll mention it here.... I don't think it was OSU's fault that Burrow didn't start and star as a Buckeye. You sometimes here this dialogue that Urban Meyer fucked up by choosing Dwayne Haskins. But if you look at it, Haskins was a huge star that put up incredible numbers when he started. Burrow probably didn't get as much of a chance because he had a hand injury. The reality of the situation is that the top 10 programs in college football often have too many good quarterbacks. In a lot of cases, it makes sense for a guy to develop in one program, but then select a school to transfer to if it's clear that they won't be the starter. It's just a numbers game.

All that said.... Damn, how did Haskins become such a bum in such a short amount of time?
Hadn't see that. Good find.

I wasn't taking a dig at OSU - just in almost all the pressers and interviews - when OSU is brought up - he is very quick to dismiss that - for whatever the reason is...

Agreed about how things played out at OSU. The injury likely kept him from getting a shot - and then Haskins ran with it. Not much you can do. As an aside - Burrow had a silent commitment to Cincinnati when transferring. LSU called late, and Fickell got an idea he may not stay committed. Burrow re-assured UC he was only taking the trip as a curtesy, but obviously we all know what happened there. Would Burrow have been Burrow at UC? Would UC have taken a much bigger jump sooner? We'll never know.

One last thought - OSU and Haskins (and other QB's) - A big knock on OSU has been how very simplistic their offensive scheme is. They simply out-athlete everyone in the Big10 on the regular because they have better players. They also, typically, have one of the best running games/OL in the country - which means that when defense commit 8-9-10 to the box, the route running and route tree and scheme are very, very simple. Once WR's and QB's from OSU get to the NFL, that jump in preparation and execution of more difficult schemes becomes very apparent. Was listening to this on a recent pod from....Chris Simms maybe? He listed his top 5 WR's - and didn't list either of the OSU guys and went in depth about their lack of route tree running and execution overall. It was interesting - and honestly makes a lot of sense.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. Haskins was not a mistake for the Buckeyes. He had a great year. Burrow needed to move on, it was the right thing for him. I am glad he did, because if he did the same thing with OSU versus LSU, he wouldn't have been thought of as highly because of the competition. We may have wound up with Tua, instead Joe, and while Herbert would ahve been great too, I would still rather have a Joe Burrow and his precense versus Herbert and his arm. But that is me.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wasn't taking a dig at OSU - just in almost all the pressers and interviews - when OSU is brought up - he is very quick to dismiss that - for whatever the reason is...

Agreed about how things played out at OSU. The injury likely kept him from getting a shot - and then Haskins ran with it. Not much you can do. As an aside - Burrow had a silent commitment to Cincinnati when transferring. LSU called late, and Fickell got an idea he may not stay committed. Burrow re-assured UC he was only taking the trip as a curtesy, but obviously we all know what happened there. Would Burrow have been Burrow at UC? Would UC have taken a much bigger jump sooner? We'll never know.

One last thought - OSU and Haskins (and other QB's) - A big knock on OSU has been how very simplistic their offensive scheme is. They simply out-athlete everyone in the Big10 on the regular because they have better players. They also, typically, have one of the best running games/OL in the country - which means that when defense commit 8-9-10 to the box, the route running and route tree and scheme are very, very simple. Once WR's and QB's from OSU get to the NFL, that jump in preparation and execution of more difficult schemes becomes very apparent. Was listening to this on a recent pod from....Chris Simms maybe? He listed his top 5 WR's - and didn't list either of the OSU guys and went in depth about their lack of route tree running and execution overall. It was interesting - and honestly makes a lot of sense.
I disagree with Simms on Wilson and Olave. Olave is going to be an absolute stud in the NFL. Not Chase kind of stud. But I am thinking a Tee Higgins kind of production on a Ja'Marr Chase type of skill set. Smaller, great hands, good speed, can take the top off the defense and can make contested catches. Olave will be awesome I think. Top 15 WR in the NFL type of production.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is an interesting thought. Somewhat ironic too in that Burrow transferred to LSU, which was running an out-of-date offense when he first arrived. It was during his time there that they revamped the passing game.

With OSU it makes sense.... You look at what they did to MSU this year. When you can physically manhandle teams with the simplest possible schemes, it doesn't make sense to toy with it much. But, when the play the big boys things get a little exposed.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with Simms on Wilson and Olave. Olave is going to be an absolute stud in the NFL. Not Chase kind of stud. But I am thinking a Tee Higgins kind of production on a Ja'Marr Chase type of skill set. Smaller, great hands, good speed, can take the top off the defense and can make contested catches. Olave will be awesome I think. Top 15 WR in the NFL type of production.
Sure - but if all you can do is run a fly or a post...you become pretty easy to defend.

I think that is what Simms was getting at. Against big10 comp - this offense looks elite because they can pound everyone on the ground, force 8-9-10 in the box, and take advantage of their elite WR's against lesser DB's.

You see where the flaw is when OSU matches up against teams that are as talented, or more talented - their offense sputters because their offensive approach makes it easy for teams to lock up their WR's when faced with better scheme, players, or limit the running game with better DL and LB's...etc....

Wasn't to say that these guys specifically can't be good - but it makes a lot of sense when you start looking at how good OSU has been in the big10 - not so much in the playoffs, and then as those guys move on the NFL, the skill positions have really struggled.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an interesting thought. Somewhat ironic too in that Burrow transferred to LSU, which was running an out-of-date offense when he first arrived. It was during his time there that they revamped the passing game.

With OSU it makes sense.... You look at what they did to MSU this year. When you can physically manhandle teams with the simplest possible schemes, it doesn't make sense to toy with it much. But, when the play the big boys things get a little exposed.
Yep. You start looking back and OSU dominates the big10, then struggles in the playoffs with better talent that enables other teams to either limit their run game, thus the passing game scheme falters, or the DB's are good enough to take away the "easy" route options - and the WR/QB don't have the ability to run the more complex routes needed to get open.

Then you see in the NFL the skill position players struggling - not saying it's a definite - but it does warrant some thought, IMO.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hated OSU offense under Urb. just had to get that in there. you're right about that.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. You start looking back and OSU dominates the big10, then struggles in the playoffs with better talent that enables other teams to either limit their run game, thus the passing game scheme falters, or the DB's are good enough to take away the "easy" route options - and the WR/QB don't have the ability to run the more complex routes needed to get open.

Then you see in the NFL the skill position players struggling - not saying it's a definite - but it does warrant some thought, IMO.
This is one area where Saban has been really savvy.... He's grabbed good coaches that have fallen out of favor after some tough times either at the college level or pro level. He uses those guys to get new ideas into his system and after they have rehabilitated their image they leave for green pastures. I think college programs are smart to cycle new assistants in and out of the program to keep things fresh.