• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Potential Rams & Bills Trade

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Retro speculated on another thread, Jarius Byrd has asked to be traded.

Any cap related issues can be worked out. Believe it!

My trade scenario:

Rams acquire S Jarius Byrd, RB Fred Jackson and 4th round draft pick - Byrd and Jackson are not part of Buffalo's future.

Bills acquire DE Eugene Sims, TE Lance Kendricks, S Darien Stewart and CB Trumaine Johnson

Analysis:

Buffalo's #1 pick from last year, CB Gilmore, is injured. Both of Buffalo's backup DE's are undrafted free agents. Buffalo's TE Scott Chandler is coming off an injury riddled season. Johnson, Sims, and Kendricks are young enough for Buffalo's rebuild. Buffalo's backup safeties are both high draft picks so they can afford to trade Byrd. Sending them Stewart helps our cap.

Rams gain veteran leadership and talent at two of our need positions. Our depth at CB, DE, and TE allow us to make this deal. Johnson has fallen to #5 on the CB depth chart. Sims can be replaced by Brodine/Rivers. We create cap space by trading Kendricks and Stewart.

Bottom line is we have to trade talent (not people about to be sent to the waiver wire) to acquire talent.

Please confine your comments to the trade of talent and future talent (draft pick/s). Cap issues can be fixed with restructuring as we have done numerous times this off season already with Chris Long and others.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just want to get rid of 2 more Delaney Draft picks don't you?

Bastard! lol.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not focused on Delaney draft picks but that is an added bonus! As unlikely as any trade is to get consummated in the NFL, I wish an attempt would be made!

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could ask players to restructure their deals but we'd be in bad shape financially. Byrd & Jackson would account for around $11M of cap space per year! The 4 departing players account for less than $4M and trading them would bring forward their signing bonuses. Many of our higher earners are already on comparatively low salaries with enormous signing bonuses. Finding cap space is not as easy as you think.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus, how many RBs do the Rams need??

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all Byrd is only signed for one year. He wants to be traded for the simple reason he did not get the long term deal. We do not have the money to sign him long term. As for Jackson, with Spiller's injury history (and his own for that matter) he is not leaving Buffalo. Most teams are going with a 2 back system these days.

I think if we are looking for a veteran presence in the backfield, an easy and inexpensive way to do it is to call Cedric Benson, Michael Turner or Beanie Wells.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus, how many RBs do the Rams need??
More than 1 would be nice.

I don't see the Bills trading Byrd & Jackson for several squad players. They would probably want a 2nd or better as a straight exchange for Byrd. If a trade was going to happen it would have happened before now. I wouldn't miss Kendricks or Sims. lol

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the trade RamCub but I think it'll involve less players. I have seen it mentioned on Yahoo Sports and rumors on SB nation about the possibility of a trade between the two clubs but nothing definite yet. Maybe we will know more on Tuesday when the cutdown to 75 players takes place.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More than 1 would be nice.

I don't see the Bills trading Byrd & Jackson for several squad players. They would probably want a 2nd or better as a straight exchange for Byrd. If a trade was going to happen it would have happened before now. I wouldn't miss Kendricks or Sims. lol
I would, specially Kendricks.

Lance is a very good blocking TE and can catch the ball. He is a perfect bookend fit to go with Cookie in the two TE sets. Let's not value him on last year rather how he is part of the overall plan and a good reason why bringing in a TE like Cook makes a lot of sense.

That said, I would not do this trade.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade will never happen. While it's intriguing there's no way we let let 4 core players go for a guy that is only on a 1 year deal and a RB that can't stay healthy. And as others have pointed out we don't have the cap room nor can we afford to get rid of one of the up-and-coming TE's in the league. If anything did happen I would give them a higher draft pick maybe a 2nd, stewart and a lollipop, but thats it!

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like of idea of Trumaine Johnson and Kendricks being traded..Not a good trade in my opinion. Knock on wood but Jenkins and Finnigan are a great combo however, what if one goes down??I'm not banking on a rookie to take over and fill the gap that easy unless its Johnson. Made some solid plays last yr.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it funny that everyone is questioning whether the Rams are giving up too much; the Bills wouldn't and shouldn't consider this trade. Byrd is a top safety in the league and Fred Jackson is head and shoulders better than every RB on the Rams roster (sure he's 32, but doesn't have a lot of NFL mileage on the odometer).

The Bills will try again to negotiate a long term contract with Byrd once they are allowed to.

Speaking of the Bills, they just acquired former Ram QB Thad Lewis to shore up their QB depth (most likely just to get through Thursday's game) along with Matt Leinart. One of the two could stick if Kolb is put on IR (concussion), but I think Thad would be a better match as a Manuel understudy.

Apparently, Kolb couldn't answer the post-concussion questions even after a relatively light hit this weekend. He may be done.

Last edited by a moderator:

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shopson - I obviously agree with your evaluation of the talent in the trade. I would do this trade in a minute to acquire Byrd, Jackson, and a 4th round draft pick. I think Buffalo would give it serious consideration though. They get 4 young players to help rebuild the talent on their roster. They lose someone who doesn't want to be there and a 32 year old running back. They won't be in the playoffs in the foreseeable future!

Our backup corners are McGee and Pointer on the depth chart. McGee is going to come in and cover slot receivers. Johnson is fifth cornerback right now. I'm not sold on Kendricks at all. If I could, the one person I'd like to keep is Sims.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An All-pro safety and a pretty RB for WHO??

C'mon man. Dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemweaver

demiurge

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not very likely, and I agree we'd be trading good future players for questionable goods - Jackson is 32, injury prone and is certainly heading downward.

Byrd would be a great pick up but we can't afford him. We'd be renting him for a year.

Just not worth it.

Someone with cap room might be able to get Byrd on the cheap (as far as trade value goes), but that won't be us.

demiurge

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not very likely, and I agree we'd be trading good future players for questionable goods - Jackson is 32, injury prone and is certainly heading downward.

Byrd would be a great pick up but we can't afford him. We'd be renting him for a year.

Just not worth it.

Someone with cap room might be able to get Byrd on the cheap (as far as trade value goes), but that won't be us.