• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Post SB Hangover - What Next?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to sports talk radio today during lunch and the topic was where do the Falcons go from here?

After such a devastating loss I thought is was a good topic for the board.

This is what we know so far.

OFC

• OC is Steve Sarkisian, former UW & USC head coach. Most recently the defacto OC for Bama. We'll have to see what he brings, but clearly they don't want to change much.
  • Freeman, '17 will be the final yr on his rookie deal. Most heard about the leak from his agent on a contract extension. I think he gets extended, but after Trufant's deal.
  • OG...although Matthews had a rough game in the SB, the general thinking is they are set at C, and both OT spots, but at least one of the OG spots will be upgraded.
DEF

• Richard Smith, a name we rarely heard much is formerly leaving the DC role maybe for a consultant spot. Word is Quinn is filling this job from within the current staff. Secondary coach Marquand Manuel is a name people have mentioned.
  • Bryan Cox, DL coach has been fired.
  • Trufant, definitely will be extended, probably before FA. Jalen Collins has shown he can be the CB2 outside and they will likely move Alford into the slot role and Poole will move to the CB4 role.
  • DT, DE, FS...this where I think the Falcons will be looking in FA and the draft.
We all know about the SB hangover and the Falcon won't be immune to dealing with it. One can expect the OFC to have some drop off after scoring 540 pt in this season but the nucleus is still there assuming they don't move too many parts on the OL.

DEF, needs a younger edge player opposite Beasley. IMO they need a younger DT to pair with Garrett, and Allen is pretty good, but he's not a top shelf FS.

We shall see, but I like the Falcons chances is defending the South, but we know that's extremely rare (like never) to repeat in the NFCS. Tampa is on the rise, CAR needs to regroup, and NO should have better health next year...should be a dog fight.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are going to regret handing Freeman so much money for not being a bell cow back. Statistically speaking his value is mostly derived from getting into the endzone. We have seen a lot of players put up a lot of touchdowns one year, get paid, and never touch those numbers again. I hope I'm wrong but it just doesn't look like a very smart move to me.

Atlanta's issue has never been offensive production since drafting Ryan. The defense has always been a huge glaring hole in the team and I don't think this year will be any different.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are going to regret handing Freeman so much money for not being a bell cow back. Statistically speaking his value is mostly derived from getting into the endzone. We have seen a lot of players put up a lot of touchdowns one year, get paid, and never touch those numbers again. I hope I'm wrong but it just doesn't look like a very smart move to me.

Atlanta's issue has never been offensive production since drafting Ryan. The defense has always been a huge glaring hole in the team and I don't think this year will be any different.

Freeman...I tend to agree, but when you look closer at the figures, his cap hit is very manageable through the '19 season...When it ramps up to probably more than he's worth in '20, the dead money hit drops considerably...but if they can't/don't retain Coleman after the '18 season, and the back up is not as good, I think we'll point to this contract.

DEF...agree 100%, love the Takk pick. Along with Beasley, Clayborn and Shelby you hope they have enough impact to get the pressure that need consistently....I expect them to blitz Campbell more this yr.

With Trufant, Collins outside and Alford inside I thought that was maybe top 10, certainly top 15 CB trios...now, Alford moves back outside...Poole played well as did Ricardo Allen, but I'm wondering if Poole and Allen had a career years...I felt Allen played over his head LY.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like the McKinley pick as well. Let's see if it pans out; it's a little too early to make any definitive statements about where his career is going. Hopefully it will be on the same trajectory as Vick Beasley's career thus far.
With Trufant, Collins outside and Alford inside I thought that was maybe top 10, certainly top 15 CB trios...now, Alford moves back outside...Poole played well as did Ricardo Allen, but I'm wondering if Poole and Allen had a career years...I felt Allen played over his head LY.

The way the schedule fluctuates I don't know if we'll get much of a better picture if we go purely by the season stats. Going up against Green Bay, New England, Dallas, and Seattle won't be easy games by any stretch.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm honestly not expecting much this season. We'll see. I'm just trying to enjoy this game against the Bears and to erase the SB from my memory. It's a long season. Hopefully, start with a road win.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D pulls through

Good road win!!!

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very underwhelmed with their performance today. The way the offense sputtered in the red zone gave me terrifying flashbacks to Shanahan's first year as the OC in 2015. Defense played hard for the most part. Need to get some more pressure, but they made their fair share of plays.

I name Hooper the MVP of today.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Sark will stay that conservative

I'll take any road win in the NFL but, yeah, I think it's best not too think to far down the line with this team

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the interview with David Archer, the Falcon radio analyst on Monday and he said he thought OG play made the running game look mundane, but Sark kinda stuck with it on 1st down...if Matt has the influence everybody thinks he has, Arch expects to see more 1st dwn passing in the game plan this week. We'll see.

I think most people felt the OFC would come back to earth, this shouldn't be like Shanny's 1st yr as OC.

With GB up next I expect to see more OFC from ATL.