• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Post Draft Thoughts

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that we've had some time to look back at how the draft played out, here are a couple of my thoughts:

I love Higgins in the 2nd round. I know a lot of people wanted an OL here, and I will touch on that in a moment, but you now have Boyd with back-to-back 1K seasons, and added a WR many thought was a 1st round pick, and better than a few of the WR's that went in front of him. If AJ is even remotely healthy, this passing game just took a MAJOR step up. This also presents a very interesting redzone package with AJ and Higgin's both at 6'4" and Tate at 6'5" and if you want, CJ Uzomah at 6'6" all releasing into the passing game.

I like all of the LB's picked - thought they could have gotten some value at other positions in the 3rd or 4th, but a cover LB is a need in the NFL, and LB in general was the biggest hole on the team, offense or defense. I think the kid from Purdue could end up being the best LB of the 3. I know he's coming off 2 ACL injuries, and there are concerns there. If he can get healthy - he was a solid player on that Purdue team.

There are 2 players that I've seen a lot of fans not happy that the Bengals didn't target: Mims over Higgins, and Josh Jones from Houston on the OL. Oddly enough, the Bengals got to coach both of them in the Sr bowl, and in addition, the Bengals have 2 staff members that coached these players in college (WR coach was at Baylor, TE coach was at Houston). Despite having a lot of inside information on these players, and former connections - they passed. I think that should speak volumes of either where they thought they were valued in the draft, or their value to the team.

I do wish that they would have been able to target an OL in the 3rd-5th rounds. I like they kid they got, but I think someone else could have pushed sooner to start. That being said, I think the OL has a change to be OK. Now, not great, but OK. They scrapped the scheme last year mid season, and had a much more productive 2nd half. Would have been better with Dalton full time and a healthy AJ, but it is what it is. You get your 1st round LT back, and added a F/A RG. I thought Jordan did OK at LG, and Hopkins OK at C. If Johnson can swing from LT where he played decently down the stretch, to RT and unseat Hart - this OL could be in that 12-15 range. With Mixon, and 3 really solid WR's, and a QB that can make some throws and avoid the rush a bit better than Dalton (hopefully) - That could be good enough. I don't think we'll see Borrow get Klingler'd at any rate.

Defensively, if they can hit on 1 of the LB's picked, they've stacked the defense. Two starting CB's, a starting Safety - all with winning experience - and good players - Added a DT to go next to Geno - The defense has a really good chance to be pretty darn good and help out the offense while Burrow gets settled.

Good luck to Dalton. Dude came in here, and helped to take the Bengals to 5 straight playoffs. The 2015 will be a great what-if season that can go up there with Palmer's knee in the playoffs. He defined average, and needed a lot of things to go right for him to really thrive, but he was a professional through and through, and never avoided the unpleasantness of owning up to his shortcomings and pitfalls. I hope that he can help Dallas - and I hope that he can find a starting job again in the NFL with the right people around him to show that he can get it done.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id be happy if Green stayed healthy long enough to let Higgins take over. Yes, they can all be on the field at the same time, but I don't anticipate them both being feature targets on week 1.